Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:03 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

[quote=QC Misfit;5390907]So is it only illegal because he was in the subway or is it not allowed at all in NYC?[/QUOTE.

Interesting point. First point is that their are automatic announcements on the subway that say commuters should be aware of everyone and everything and report suspious things to the police. This could have been the start of the trouble. Would this have happened in the street....No.

Second in regard to one post re taking pictures of buildings. It is against the law to take a photo in the subway. Now I know that and I know why. But I have seen dozens of tourist taking photos and I wonder how would they know_

Im thinking about the response to where did you get the knife_ He answers Walmart. Its possible, only possibe that the cop thought that was a wise guy answer. Who knows what is in a cops mind at that given moment.

The objective here is to get the whole thing dismissed without ANY record of a crime. I think that these rules are not only the rules of NYC but part of the Homeland Security Act. Now Im not sure of this at all. Only my opinion.
This young man should not walk into court hoping it will be dismissed. He must be certain.In my opinion. And without thinking a note from his teacher will suffice.

I´´ll tell you how crazed NYC has gotten on security. I carry a money clip. For over 20 years I had one from Tiffany. The first one got stolen in the Dominican Republic. The second I lost. So I bought in Staples a packet of GIANT paper clips. Gold. Like 8 to a pack for 4 bux.
Don´t you think that going thru security in a public building having to do only matters of real estate this ignorant charmer at the scanner wanted to take my friggen paper clip away because she thought it could be used as a weapon. Against who _ Well I asked that she call a supervisor for my 50 cent clip on the principle of SHE IS AN IDIOT. Supervivor looked at her like she was from outer space. Rightfully so.
John

Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know, I'm not clear on that QC - I'll ask my son when I next talk to him. I would be willing to bet it's a citywide thing, not just a subway thing.
It's citywide....there are no seperate police depts anymore since the "Hostile Takeover"..(When Guilliani decided to merge the city, Transit & Housing police depts). Even when they were seperate PD's, it was still a citywide law.

BxRosie

Old 09-23-2008, 03:26 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
Don't go with a Legal Aid attorney (nothing against them really), but generally they only find out about certain cases the day they show up in court. If this is a DAT (desk appearance ticket), they'll find out about it just before they walk into a court room.

Get a lawyer Loves...PM me.

BxRosie

Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
10-10 WINS is the AM station he needs to listen to.....

Sorry your son got picked up by the police Loves, it must have been horrible for him. I went to the School of Visual Arts back in the 70's, the cops thought we were all a bunch of hippie freaks (but the rookies in the academy loved when they could peek into our studio classrooms...the rear windows of the academy faced the windows of the painting/drawing studios :O). I don't remember needig a pocketknife for class.

DH was a Transit cop for 28 yrs, I was a police dispatcher/911 operator in NYC. They don't play games up there. If a knife blade is longer than "4 wide" (4 fingers across), you're going to jail. Hopefully, the judge will rule in favor of your son & make it all go away. I feel bad for him that he has had to experience this, It's a tough life's lesson. I'll be praying for him.

BxRosie
Hey Rosie, I didn't know that NYPD had the same attitude as Philly PD about art students! I know 1st hand that Baltimore PD had the same attitude, also.

I'm afraid that the student ID might have been the final nail in the coffin, if the attitude persists. On the other hand, times are different now. I was telling someone last month about the time I came home with a log & wood carving tools, on the PATCO train. I wouldn't get to the train, much less on it, now.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM

29 posts, read 98,214 times
When I meant profile, I should have been more blunt. What race is your son? I have a lot of experience with NYC courts. (And like I said before, no offense to all the readers. I'm not here to argue that topic)

In NYC career criminals are allowed to plea bargain multiple times for all sorts of charges, much worse than your son's. No judge in NYC would tarnish the record of a law-abiding student. Especially with the extenuating circumstances, like the other poster said, legal aid is the way to go.

No legal aid attorney would allow your son to plea bargain to a misdemeanor.
A good one can get it dismissed. A regular attorney will cost you more than a thousand bucks for the same results.

You can send me a message or continue it here publicly.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The El View Post
When I meant profile, I should have been more blunt. What race is your son? I have a lot of experience with NYC courts. (And like I said before, no offense to all the readers. I'm not here to argue that topic)

In NYC career criminals are allowed to plea bargain multiple times for all sorts of charges, much worse than your son's. No judge in NYC would tarnish the record of a law-abiding student. Especially with the extenuating circumstances, like the other poster said, legal aid is the way to go.

No legal aid attorney would allow your son to plea bargain to a misdemeanor.
A good one can get it dismissed. A regular attorney will cost you more than a thousand bucks for the same results.

You can send me a message or continue it here publicly.
hahaha - well, that goes to show ya - I don't think "in color" when it comes to people It just never occurred to me you meant racial profile - sorry!

For the record, my son is white. So would he just call up legal aid by looking them up in the phone book or something?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahaha - well, that goes to show ya - I don't think "in color" when it comes to people It just never occurred to me you meant racial profile - sorry!

For the record, my son is white. So would he just call up legal aid by looking them up in the phone book or something?
I'm glad to hear you're not like the NYC cops with the profiling.

Did your son see a judge, and did he have a lawyer there with him? That would be his legal aid/public defender.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

575 posts, read 1,516,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Don't go with a Legal Aid attorney (nothing against them really), but generally they only find out about certain cases the day they show up in court. If this is a DAT (desk appearance ticket), they'll find out about it just before they walk into a court room.

Get a lawyer Loves...PM me.

BxRosie
Rosie this case is a ground ball for any competent attorney legal aid or not who looks over the case for five minutes. My money is on the plea and fine. After the case they should head over to Chinatown which is directly behind the courthouse or go north of Chinatown for Little Italy.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Rosie this case is a ground ball for any competent attorney legal aid or not who looks over the case for five minutes. My money is on the plea and fine. After the case they should head over to Chinatown which is directly behind the courthouse or go north of Chinatown for Little Italy.
Diamond, sounds like someone else is familiar with NYC courts. Those restaurants sure leave a lasting impression. Yummy. Lunch specials for about 4 bucks.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
I forgot to add: I'm hoping for a homerun. A legal aid attorney who can get it dismissed for you. That is entirely possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte