Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,562,150 times

Advertisements

The Old Settlers' Cemetery
Charlotte
Corner of Poplar and Fifth Street
was the first municipal burial ground in Charlotte
contains the earthly remains of many of the most prominent citizens of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County in the late 18th and 19th century

http://www.cmhpf.org/site-pix/OldSettlers.jpg

Neely Slave Cemetery
Charlotte
South Point Business Park South Ridge Drive
Arrangements of the rocks make this unique cemetery
reflection of the traditions of the Afro-American slave population; death rituals and burial practices

http://www.cmhpf.org/newspix/Neely/Plantation.jpg

McCoy Slave Cemetery

Huntersville
Part of an ante-bellum plantation
The cemetery contains a most interesting marker, probably erected in the 1920s. The family of the slave owner express their devotion to two slaves, "Uncle Jim" and "Aunt Lizzie.

http://www.cmhpf.org/properties/site...ed/MCOYCEM.JPG
http://www.cmhpf.org/properties/site...d/MCOYMMNT.JPG

Alexander Slave Cemetery
Charlotte
Mallard Creek Church Road , west of Hwy 29
There are over 70 graves in this burial ground. Some African Americans were buried here after the Civil War.
1861 Alexander owned more than thirty slaves, many of whom are buried in a cemetery located in a wooded area off Mallard Creek Church Road. Apparently a slave named Violet was a particular favorite of the Alexander family since hers is the only grave with a marked headstone

http://www.cmhpf.org/photoGallery/9/BLACK6.JPG
http://www.cmhpf.org/photoGallery/9/BLACK5.JPG

more to come....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:19 AM

49 posts, read 179,586 times
Wow. I can do so much research on this topic. My students will love this as well since many of their families are Charlotte natives.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 AM

Zion Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery
Charlotte
9920 Brickleberry LnLess than 25 graves dating back to the 1920's
http://www.cmstory.org/cemetery/imag...s/ZiPriBap.jpg

Bethesda Methodist Church Cemetery
Charlotte
Turn off Eastfield Rd. on to Asbury Chapel Rd. It is located behind houses on the east side of the street in a heavily wooded area past a creek bed. On the next rise, the cemetery can be found to the left of an old wagon road. Ruts can still be seen in the dirt leading to the cemetery. There is a partial wall surrounding it. (this is private property)
The first known burial was 1845, and the last known burial was in 1896.
many unmarked graves or grave markers without inscriptions. Less than 25 graves
http://www.cmstory.org/cemetery/imag...es/BethMe2.jpg

Taylor Cemetery
Charlotte
5326 Rocky River Rd.
located between 2 houses and is very difficult to find. It is in the northeast corner of the lot for the house that faces Silchester Ln. off Bellingham Lane.
one headstone and one footstone visible

Sardis Presbyterian Church Cemetery
Charlotte
6100 Sardis Rd.
Cemetery is directly behind the church and can best be seen from the parking lot. The other is directly across the street and can be easily seen from Sardis Rd.There is another unmarked cemetery behind the visible cemetery on the east side of Sardis Rd. that may be a slave cemetery. More than 100 graves
PLCMC Cemetery Database: View Cemetery Photo
The slave cemetery is believe to be behind the Boy Scout hut, basketball court and the marked cemetery, as shown in the photo.

Smithfield Baptist Church Cemetery
Charlotte
Near the dead end of Smithfield Rd.
the church used to be next to the cemetery and was destroyed by fire in the early 1970
PLCMC Cemetery Database: View Cemetery Photo

Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,986,104 times
Sunny, all this rain got ya feelin down????

Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
Wow. I can do so much research on this topic. My students will love this as well since many of their families are Charlotte natives.
I do have to say we are getting our money's worth with this county library system most of this information is available on the county library website. You should stop in a local branch and they have a scan type library card that makes it so easy and great features to use on their website I found alot of this here
Known Cemeteries and Burial Records of Mecklenburg County, NC
and here
Historic Landmarks Commission

Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Sunny, all this rain got ya feelin down????
No but necrophilia seems interesting

HEY

Im only kidding .... .gotcha

I actually dont know some of this stuff pops in my head to research.
I also thought it might be something fun for some of you to go visit this Halloween

If something happens to someone I know then I know it was an omen

Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,456,692 times
Thank you, Sunny, for such an interesting post. Am I odd for finding old cemeteries fascinating? I think they are peaceful and very humbling. I especially love the ones from the pre-Civil war era. There are some fantastic cemeteries in Charleston SC.

I may have to go check out some of the ones you have listed. Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,091,059 times
If this is your thing, you might enjoy this site

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records

I stumbled upon it a year ago after the tragic death of a good friend, his wife and young child.

The discussion forums can be down right fascinating.

Sara

Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 PM

51 posts, read 154,916 times
Very interesting. My family name is Neely and they were brought up in the York County, SC right over the border from Charlotte. I am going to see what I can find on the Neely Cemeterary.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
I like cemeteries, too, so don't y'all feel too alone! You can find out info about your own family, but you can also get a feeling for a community's history by going thru/ old graveyards . . . seeing the families, intermarriages b/n families . . . Also, it is sad (but interesting) to see dates when people died, if you know about such things as epidemics and you match up the deaths w/ dates of those terrible events.

There are projects online w/ historical societies - you volunteer to go to an obscure cemetery in your area, and write down data, to help others from out of state who are trying to work on family genealogy.

Here is one such place where you can get info - as well as volunteer for cemetery data preservation!

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ge...erylookup.html

Last edited by brokensky; 09-28-2008 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte