Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 151,908 times

Advertisements

I have seen that Charlotte might be the new hot spot for Hispanic gangs which would def. bring more crime and violence....Is crime becoming more of a problem in Charlotte?..Are gangs becoming a big deal?? If you look on the site at the crime rates of other cities Charlotte's size you will see that Charlotte has high numbers then most...I know every city has its bad areas, and there will be crime in a city the size of Charlotte, but I have always known Charlotte to be very nice..I hope it is not changing for the worst..Charlotte has a lot to offer, lets hope it is not taking a turn for the worst..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWyche16 View Post
I have seen that Charlotte might be the new hot spot for Hispanic gangs which would def. bring more crime and violence....Is crime becoming more of a problem in Charlotte?..Are gangs becoming a big deal?? If you look on the site at the crime rates of other cities Charlotte's size you will see that Charlotte has high numbers then most...I know every city has its bad areas, and there will be crime in a city the size of Charlotte, but I have always known Charlotte to be very nice..I hope it is not changing for the worst..Charlotte has a lot to offer, lets hope it is not taking a turn for the worst..
Nothing new here - if you read the threads for the past year you'll see we have been discussing this issue for a while. Some gang activity started to crop up here ever since we became such a successful city. Having the NFL, NBA and NASCAR here draws folks with money, which in turn draws criminals. It's the definite downside to our prosperity. It is estimated that at present we have about 3000 gang members in the city, and probably a couple of thousand gang-wannabee imitators (like the 13 year old yesterday caught during a home breakin). Fortunately, these numbers aren't huge and we do have a gang interdiction unit of our police force actively working to combat this problem.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,129 times
I see that you are a police officer in Florida. Is that how you are hearing about the hispanic gangs in the area? I'm just curious and wondering how concerned I should be. Also, are you thinking of moving here?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Perhaps if people spent time supporting our chief of police and his officers, rather than trying to crucify him over the whole VCU degree thing, he could be making a change. It's extremely difficult to do a job when you're constantly harrassed. VCU confered the degree of their own free will- Chief Monroe didnt ask for it. He really seems to be doing good things-I like the idea of 2 more divisions, and more officers on the streets is never a bad idea.

We need to pray that our new leadership faces the illegal immigration issue. This "subculture" has become more and more brazen as they've been empowered. With nearly 10% of our country's population here illegaly, this has become an issue of immense proportions. They've displayed an obvious disregard for our laws simply by coming here, why should we be surprised that their crimes become more dramatic?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM

Our elected officials and our press need to show Mr. Monroe some respect!! He needs EVERYONES support if he is to suceed in winning this battle over crime. I just pray that they don't sacrifice him to the wolves to cover that they can't make the crimes stick or keep the convicted ones behind bars.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 PM

I am a cop and that is how I heard about it..It seems to be getting worse but does not seem to be something that's overwhelming..I have been looking at Charlotte for a place to relocate for some time now..

[quote=Doorway;5924825]I see that you are a police officer in Florida. Is that how you are hearing about the hispanic gangs in the area? I'm just curious and wondering how concerned I should be. Also, are you thinking of moving here?[/

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I saw that you were checking out Chicago as well. I think you would be much happier here .

Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM

I def. agree with you there..I am a cop in Tampa now..I do love it here but I also think Charlotte is a great place and has great potential for me to live the way I want to live..Im still young I have plenty of time...

Old 10-30-2008, 01:55 PM

I see lots of problems with the community and their support for the Chief of police...that is a sad thing..He has a tough job and tons to worry about..Like the new gang problem..

Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM

125 posts, read 469,327 times
I heard a Charlotte cop say that if it wasn't for blacks and hispanics he probably wouldn't have a job.
All you need to do is watch to evening news, unless you're blind it's pretty clear what the problem is.

Repeat offenders with rap sheets a mile long committing crime after crime after crime,
they need to lock them up and throw away the key.

You think it's bad now, just wait until we get a bunch of bleeding heart liberals in office, they'll
take away our guns and unlock the jails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte