Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I really appreciate this thread--it's a good message for people in general, but I think it is especially true for people moving from more traditionally aggressive areas. When I moved to Asheville, I noticed many people did not appreciate the snarky humor I had developed in L.A. Some people did, but in general I fit in better when I softened my attitude. The point of not being so anonymous is also true--and that's one of the big attractions for me. I'd LOVE to meet some of the people from this board, and I do wonder if there will be times when I'll be standing in line at a coffee shop or grocery and accidentally discover I'm next to someone from this board. That would be so cool.
We should have some "City Data" tee shirts made up for everyone here -when you get to town wear it when you go out and see who introduces themselves to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 01:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
hey thats a good idea...but i think that is advertising we arent allowed to do that..LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
hey thats a good idea...but i think that is advertising we arent allowed to do that..LOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, What about it City Data???

Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We should have some "City Data" tee shirts made up for everyone here -when you get to town wear it when you go out and see who introduces themselves to you!
Not a bad idea at all...you may want to send a PM to Admin. with your idea.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Not a bad idea at all...you may want to send a PM to Admin. with your idea.
If you think someone will really respond to me, I'd be happy to!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne068 View Post
That would be great Loves try it and see what they say...
Okay, I sent a message, I'll let you know if I get any feedback I know I'd wear a City Data tee shirt!

Old 02-23-2007, 04:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD&Z View Post
One thing that I want to share from my experience for anyone moving here to Charlotte - It's a MUCH smaller world than many of you might think. Since it seems that most people are moving from a more populated, metropolitan area, this would be a new concept.

For example - Long Island New York is home to 125 public schools districts, 416,093 students and 29,901 teachers. There are also 233 private schools, with 53,629 students and 4,873 teachers.

All of Union County has 34,000 students - that less than 10% of the size!

There are fewer companies, stores, restaurants, schools, churches etc than in your area. That means you will run into people all over the place - and not just at your corner supermarket. People here get networked pretty quickly and it's not quite "everyone knows everyone" - but it's not that far off - If you're on this board, there's a good chance that you could run into many of these people in real life when you move here. Especially if they're giving you advice/guidance on the move, etc

So while there might feel like there's a certain level of anonymity that you have because you're not actually "speaking" to these people... but you'd be surprised.

I guess what I'm saying is - please be aware of what you write/how you write it - especially if you're looking for people to help you in your transition!

On the plus side - it is very neat that you can bump into people all over the place - it really lets you have a "small town" feel.
One thing I just want to highlight regarding your comment about the schools -- Union county is a county-wide system. So the "district" technically includes all of the students in the county, which is quite different from what I was used to in the Northeast where school districts were much smaller.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:55 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,333 times
Lol- I love the t-shirt idea! Perhaps I'll make one to wear for my visit if the idea is approved by the mods.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Lol- I love the t-shirt idea! Perhaps I'll make one to wear for my visit if the idea is approved by the mods.
yay, we could start a fashion trend!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
HAHAHAHAHAHAH as long as they are ummm a decent color..Red is just not me...LOL even though my hair is on the red side...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte