Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times

Advertisements

Did you say Duhhhhh? I pray she is getting more support than that from others and that you never have to know her pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Did you say Duhhhhh? I pray she is getting more support than that from others and that you never have to know her pain.
I think CarolinaWoman was just expressing her concern that someone would attack a man sitting on her bed, when she should have just left the premises. She got shot at b/c she attacked the guy w/ a knife. No one had attacked her - she had warning and time to get out of their way and could have left the house if she had chosen to do so.

I agree w/ you Doorway - your hope that the woman who experienced the break in is getting support from others, but I have been rather perplexed by that story . . . as the woman really made a terrible decision to attack someone w/ a knife when no one had confronted her and there was no one else home at the time. She could have hidden or gotten out of the house rather than attacking a man who was NOT attacking her. She could have easily been killed and that is what has worried me about that story. Many thugs would have taken a few more shots at her, after she chose to attack one of them. She was very very lucky that the thugs did not do that and leave her dead or maimed for life.

ETA: I had felt the woman would have been better off to have a gun - when I first heard about the story. As details unfolded, my thoughts turned to simply getting out of the house and out of harm's way (since she had time to do that). Plus, she was worried about her daughter coming home, so going outside to warn her daughter would have been the more logical thing to do. As far as using a gun in this situation, w/ for intruders and no one aware she was there . .. I think she would have been better off to have the gun in her possession - but to have left the premises w/ the gun - and never to have purposely confronted the thugs.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-24-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM

Someone broke into our home and robbed us while we slept. Fortunately we were not awaken by a strange noise and my children didn't wake to go to the bathroom or get a drink at that time. I thank God each and every day that I did not have to face those men, but if I did (and lived) I'd like to think that people would just be glad that my family was okay and not ridicule the way I managed to survive.
I imagine raw fear and an instinct to survive took over her senses and she simply reacted. We'll never know what went through her head. She's ALIVE!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Someone broke into our home and robbed us while we slept. Fortunately we were not awaken by a strange noise and my children didn't wake to go to the bathroom or get a drink at that time. I thank God each and every day that I did not have to face those men, but if I did (and lived) I'd like to think that people would just be glad that my family was okay and not ridicule the way I managed to survive.
I imagine raw fear and an instinct to survive took over her senses and she simply reacted. We'll never know what went through her head. She's ALIVE!
Dear heavens. That is HORRIBLE. Yes, you were very fortunate that no one got up and interrupted the miscreants. I am so sorry to know your family went thru/ that but thank god no one was harmed.

I agree w/ you - the poor woman just acted on instinct. I am so glad she was not harmed (well, physically - that had to be traumatic).

There is a lot that goes into the decision to own a gun. It is something that each person has to decide for him/herself. Using a gun is not always the best thing to do. Each situation is different.

I personally feel better having firearms in my home, but my children are grown.

I have a shotgun and handguns.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 AM

O My!! We're gonna have to call you "Shotgun Ani".

Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
O My!! We're gonna have to call you "Shotgun Ani".
Hee Hee. I grew up around firearms as my family was in the military -g/father retired from Navy - father was a Marine - DH was commissioned officer (Army). So we all have great respect for firearms. However, didn't have them in my house w/ kids as we lived in a very very low crime area and didn't feel we needed them. I did have a handgun while single, tho.

Sadly, we felt we needed firearms since moving to CLT. So our purchases have all been since moving back to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte