Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 8,913 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are locating from NJ to Charlotte area with a job transfer. We have 4 children (one with special needs). What towns will send our children to South Charlotte schools? I've been looking at alot of postings about the school system and it seems that South Charlotte is "better" than Union County schools.
Thanks for your help!
Clare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
I don't have any children so I can't personally recommend any schools, but others on this site have recommended using Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to research them.

Where do you live in NJ? DH and I both grew up there... Morris County.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarejoe View Post
Hi,
We are locating from NJ to Charlotte area with a job transfer. We have 4 children (one with special needs). What towns will send our children to South Charlotte schools? I've been looking at alot of postings about the school system and it seems that South Charlotte is "better" than Union County schools.
Thanks for your help!
Clare
Just FYI, while south Charlotte schools are good, I believe there are several people on this board with special needs children who feel Union County has been awesome to work with, so don't discount living there

Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,660,830 times
NJ offers some pretty good resources to special needs kids. Union county would most likely be a better fit for you in your situation. We are in the South Charlotte district and I ended up pulling my special needs child out to home school due to lack of resources. We looked into moving to Union but then the housing market went wacky so we held off. I'm sure it varies by school though with some being easier to work with than others.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,578 times
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for your help!
Clare
If you are considering the South Charlotte region, you'd be looking at: Ardrey Kell, Providence and South Meck. Those areas are primarily made up of Ballantyne, Blakeney, Arboreteum/ Providence - even Matthews (Butler). The further south you go in S.Charlotte away from the city, generally the better the schools get (unless you plan to drop a million plus to live in Meyers Park?).

The Union County schools that are adjacent to S.Charlotte, are just as good, if not better in some cases: Marvin, Weddington and the new school next year on Cuthbertson are all excellent choices. The only bad schools in UC are quite a ways from the Charlotte border. If you are looking at S.Charlotte they probably won't be on your radar. Plus by living in UC your taxes will be about 1/4 of living in Meck County.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM

We are moving from Cherry Hill/Camden County! Very confused about where to narrow my search.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
We are moving from Cherry Hill/Camden County! Very confused about where to narrow my search.

Give us this info and maybe we can help you zero in a little more:

Where will your job be located?
What is your home budget?
How long are you willing to commute to work?
Are you looking for burbs, rural or city?

I know the area you mentioned very well. I live in S. Charlotte and work in UC.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:
If your moving from this area, then union would fit u just fine...my dd is in union county schools with special needs in learning and well I will just say where she was behind in NJ and her learning disability wasnt picked up it was here and the school is wonderful....my son also attends Marvin ridge middle and well he doesnt have learning disabilites however he did have some major learning curves and well he made A/B honor the 1st 6 weeks of the semester this year and has come a very long way....so I can only speak from experience..my dd attends kensington Elem/ we are slated to go to Rea View..I suggest you take a look at them...good luck

Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM

My husbands job will be in Charlotte (Bank of America). He commutes 2 hours to NYC now so a commute of an hour wouldn't be a problem. We are looking for burbs somewhat closer to the city. I have 4 different supermarkets within 10 min drive where I live now. Our budget will allow for a home in the 300,000 range. But I know taxes are so much cheaper there. We currently pay 8600.00 a year now! Hope this helps

Old 11-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:

My husbands job will be in Charlotte (Bank of America). He commutes 2 hours to NYC now so a commute of an hour wouldn't be a problem. We are looking for burbs somewhat closer to the city. I have 4 different supermarkets within 10 min drive where I live now. Our budget will allow for a home in the 300,000 range. But I know taxes are so much cheaper there. We currently pay 8600.00 a year now! Hope this helps
Great, you will have many options.

In an earlier post, you mentioned S.Charlotte and and Union County, so I'll stick to those areas.

You may want to consider the Ballantyne and/or Blakeny area. Especially in the Blakeney area, you can find some decent houses in the $300k area. Remember too, your taxes will be about a quarter or less of what you are currently paying.

Blakeney is a newly developing area. Lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. anywhere you look. We actually have 6 Harris Teeter's (our supermarkets) within a 5-mile radius of my house.

The schools for this area are the Ardrey Kell cluster - superb! Excellent at all three levels. Actually some of the best in the region if not country for public schools.

Your commute would be about 30-60 minutes depending on what time you leave. Another option would be to drive to the light rail station and tke lightrail uptown. This is actually what I would do if I worked uptown. Very convenient.

As for Union County, a $300k house would probably mean driving quite a bit further out, making your husband's commute a bear. But MANY do it daily. It will still be much less than what he is doing now. Union County is beautiful, but doesn't have quite the suburban feel that Blakeney has. The taxes are even cheaper, much cheaper. It is also a great place to live.

So, to help you zero in a bit, I'd recommend that you search Blakeney (it's still considered Charlotte) and Ardrey Kell Schools (the entire cluster).

I would especially recommend Blakeney Greens neighborhood. It's great! Very tight community with lots of great families. And to top it off, you can acually walk to many great stores, restaurants, etc.. No, I'm not trying to sell you my house...

Here's a nice link about the area:
Welcome to Blakeney (http://www.shopblakeney.com/index.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte