Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So the bf and I tried this today-Northlake. Really nice. Good variety of food and I liked the layout. I'm considering working at the one in Birkdale due to the shooting at Northlake. Does anyone else enjoy it as well? What are the good nights to go and hang out and not worry about getting shot at??
I've never had a bad experience at a Fox and Hound. It's a nice chain with a non chain feel. I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
is the one downtown really smoky, too?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM

189 posts, read 580,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
is the one downtown really smoky, too?
YES! The one thing I really miss about the CT bars!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
Been to the one in Ballantyne several times. I'm a Mug Club member ($20 initial fee, 1/2 off wings and nachos all the time, free dinner on birthday, upgraded to larger beer mug when I order and save $1 on beer). I would go more but there are several drawbacks...

1) Its really smokey, not well ventilated.
2) Its really dark.
3) Most of the TV's are not HD.

Hickory Tavern a mile down the road has a better layout, better ventilated, and loaded with HD sets.
I agree, DH and I went once to the Ballantyne location and it was very smokey so we never went back. That's one thing we miss terribly about CA, no smoking in restaurants. It looks like that will happen here, soon hopefully. The smokers will b_tch and moan for a month or so and the news will cover them saying they'll never eat out again, blah, blah and then it's fine.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Been to the one in Ballantyne several times. I'm a Mug Club member ($20 initial fee, 1/2 off wings and nachos all the time, free dinner on birthday, upgraded to larger beer mug when I order and save $1 on beer). I would go more but there are several drawbacks...

2) Its really dark.

Hickory Tavern a mile down the road has a better layout, better ventilated, and loaded with HD sets.
Maybe I just looked at things a little different, but I totally had a different experience when I watched the Bears/Saints game a couple of weeks ago.

There were only a few people smoking in the whole place. One of the guys I was out who was at my table smoked, but I was into the game, I had a few in me, and talked w/my buddies about sports and the hot waitresses most of the night....it was all good...

It was a little "dark", but it wasn't like pitch black or anything.....actually I'd prefer it that way then having it like a hospital all lit up.

There are a million tv's at F&H and most of them are HD..(at least the ones over the bar were....the one big projection over the karaoke stage wasn't, but I wasn't facing that way so I could care less.....)

I'm not saying your wrong, but I totally had a different experience than you.....

Old 01-05-2009, 01:34 AM

61 posts, read 115,175 times
Quote:

2) Its really dark.

It's funny, I've had the exact opposite experience with smoke. When we go to the F&H in Ballantyne, we always ask to be seated as far away from the bar as possible, and have never even had a hint of smoke. The only time we have ever gotten any kind of whiff is when we've walked right next to the bar, but even then it was minimal.

However, when we walked into Hickory Tavern, the entire restaurant had a smoky haze and the smell was almost unbearable for us...and this was on a weekday night without much going on. We walked around trying to see if we could find a spot that we couldn't smell the smoke, but couldn't find one, so we left.

As non-smokers with a young child, we are very aware of and concerned with how smoky a restaurant is. So needless to say, we have not been back to HT, but have been to F&H many times.

One caveat, we tend to go relatively early (6-ish) since we have a young one, so perhaps later in the evening, the F&H gets more smoky. But so far, we have had no problems.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
People complaining about smoke at F&H in Ballantyne, must have a very low tolerance. It's a LARGE place and it takes a lot of smokers to mess it up. I went there on Christmas Eve and it was still fine.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
I am an x smoker and so is dh 4 years now...and do not have a low tolerence, we went there 3x and will never go back again it was so smokey that my children were complaining...then I went their for lunch recently with a friend and it was also pretty smokey....that is the one thing we miss from NJ is that there was no smoking in restaurants...I dont care otherwise I just dont want to smell it when Im eating and I felt the same way when I was a smoker...

Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 AM

36 posts, read 98,895 times
Default Hickory Tavern

Aside from the burgers, I find the food at HT to be pretty terrible. Ok the wings were all right.

But the Spinich Dip? Their version of Sliders? Is it just me? Their pasta dishes arent good either.

Anyway, I wouldn't go there for much more than a burger fries.

That being said, its a great layout for watching the gme.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I am an x smoker and so is dh 4 years now...and do not have a low tolerence, we went there 3x and will never go back again it was so smokey that my children were complaining...then I went their for lunch recently with a friend and it was also pretty smokey....that is the one thing we miss from NJ is that there was no smoking in restaurants...I dont care otherwise I just dont want to smell it when Im eating and I felt the same way when I was a smoker...
I agree. We crossed that off our list for that very reason. You needed a shower when you left that place!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte