Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,499 times

Advertisements

We (Wife(27), me(33) and 6 month old) moved from NYC 3 months ago and we have been renting uptown while assessing our housing options.

So far we have looked a variety of areas from Myers Park, Dilworth all the way out to Ballentyne CC, Piper Glen, Providence Plantation etc

Obviously there is a big difference between the two areas. For our budget (400-550K) closer in we can get a ranch 1900 sqft vs 3500+ sqft further out.

I have to admit the prospect of getting such a large sqft is a draw for me having always lived in limited space. But if there are just 3 of us is a 4 bed, 3 bath plus office plus bonus room just excessive? Will we find people like us (city types in seek of more space)in these areas or are we better off with our first place being smaller, older close to the city and then moving out in 5-7 years when there are more of us?

The commute isn't too much of a concern as I work from home half the week and get into the office early but i am willing to take the pain a few times a week.

I go back and forth between the two areas. Any one bought further out and regretted not being closer in or vise versa, they bought small closer and now wish they had more space and would give up the location?

Appreciate any thoughts..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murofatadytic View Post
We (Wife(27), me(33) and 6 month old) moved from NYC 3 months ago and we have been renting uptown while assessing our housing options.

So far we have looked a variety of areas from Myers Park, Dilworth all the way out to Ballentyne CC, Piper Glen, Providence Plantation etc

Obviously there is a big difference between the two areas. For our budget (400-550K) closer in we can get a ranch 1900 sqft vs 3500+ sqft further out.

I have to admit the prospect of getting such a large sqft is a draw for me having always lived in limited space. But if there are just 3 of us is a 4 bed, 3 bath plus office plus bonus room just excessive? Will we find people like us (city types in seek of more space)in these areas or are we better off with our first place being smaller, older close to the city and then moving out in 5-7 years when there are more of us?

The commute isn't too much of a concern as I work from home half the week and get into the office early but i am willing to take the pain a few times a week.

I go back and forth between the two areas. Any one bought further out and regretted not being closer in or vise versa, they bought small closer and now wish they had more space and would give up the location?

Appreciate any thoughts..
Thanks

You seemed to have focused on the extremes only - uptown or Ballantyne. Have you considered the Southpark area? You won't get a McMansion in your price range there, but you won't get a tiny bungalow like you would in Dilworth either. It's a great location and very convenient to everything.

In addition, how long to you envision yourselves in this home? Some people your age want just starting their family want to put down roots and get the house they'll be in till the kids go off to college. In that case, you'd want to buy larger to accomadate a growing family.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Not looked at the Southpark area, i will do some research. Thanks.

To be honest we don't know how long we will live in this home, we have no plans to move. So I guess if we get something large enough then i don't see why we would need to move until the kids go to college. If we get something smaller then I think I see us needing more space in 7 years. Although 7 years is a long time, if track record is anything to go by I change jobs every 2/3 years and cities every 5/6 years but we moved to Charlotte for a level of stability, that and the fact that we can actually afford a real house here.

Maybe its more of a question should we buy large and grow into it or by smaller and grow out of it. Energy isn't going to get cheaper so we are going to cool/heat a large house for many years until we need that space.

Maybe your middle option is best, i will checkout Southpark.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Elizabeth or Plaza Midwood should be options, as well.

Where is your work?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM

I work in uptown, we looked in Elizabeth and like it, again we are on the lower end of the price range there although checking again on zillow there are one or two possibilities. Thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
How about Cotwold? We always forget about that adorable, close-in neighborhood on this board. Lots of charm, lots of young families and very convenient to everything.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
How about Cotwold? We always forget about that adorable, close-in neighborhood on this board. Lots of charm, lots of young families and very convenient to everything.
Absolutely right, Chuckles. Cotswold is definitely worth a look...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,076 times
Bought in Dilworth a couple years ago, prior to the arrival of our son, and don't regret it a bit. Would it be nice to have more space or a bigger yard? Sure...but I wouldn't trade the location, neighbors or easy commute for a house twice as big.

At the top of your price range, you might be able to pick up a short sale on a newer home outside of the historic district...streets like Magnolia, Winthrop, Springdale, etc. Otherwise, you're looking at a +/- 2000 SF bungalow.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times
I agree. Cotswold or Southpark sounds about right for you. Its just a little bit further out then Dilworth but a LOT closer then Ballantyne. You should be able to find lots in your price range but most of the houses are older.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
Actually there's a lot of new construction in Cotswold. I have a friend who lives off of N. Sharon Amity and every time I go out to see her (she's on Lyttleton) I pass a new neighborhood on my left that is so incredibly cute. All of the houses look like beach houses. I googled it but I can't find the name of the neighborhood. Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte