Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,031 times

Advertisements

I just heard that after next year Charlotte will lose the chance to host the ACC Tournament until at least 2015. The cause is the new Bobcats Arena is smaller then the old Charlotte Collesium by 4000 seats. Way to go City Council maybe we can do another closed door session to add 4000 seats to the nose bleed section. In January, we lost The Charlotte Sting which broke my daughters hearts. Duke just lost to North Carolina State first round and now this this. I have an idea lets move my favorite summer team, the Charlotte Knights, uptown so they will leave too. What is up with sports and this town the Charlotte Hornets, Charlotte Sting and now the ACC tournament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Is it a stereotype, or reality that most residents of Charlotte are like yourself, fantatically sports oriented?

Sounds like what you describe are business decisions, pure and simple. Nothing to do with certain individual's emotional upset and whatnot.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:45 PM

[cut - rude] So which are you? By the way the UNC leads NCSU by 10. As for the business decision, well the people of Charlotte voted down the Bobcats Arena. The city council approved and funded the Bobcats arena with a behind closed doors meeting. I think they are ultimately responsible for the loss of the ACC tournament in Charlotte. After all they took old Charlotte Collesium for them people and gave them a smaller Bobcats arena, with of course more corporate seating. The funny thing is the ACC Tournament was a huge draw for area business. My company always had many corporate clients in town for the event. Well, I guess others cities will gain from our stupid decisions. Other then sports events what else draws people to this town. Its not the mountains, shores or other public treasures. Of course you could probably name a few plays right.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-12-2007 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: [cut - rude]

Old 03-11-2007, 02:16 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
One thing I've noticed about Charlotte is that we're not a very professional sports type town. I for one think it's crazy to take the Knights out of Fort Mill. I think that once the initial draw wears off, that people won't want to go uptown and deal with horribly planned parking that they're going to charge you for and increased ticket prices. In Fort Mill you can pay $10.00 or less for the best seat in the house and cheap food / beverages and it's a great day or night event that the whole family can enjoy.
Has anyone been to the last Panther games, it was embarrassing to see how many people didn't attend because the team isn't performing well!!! I've never been to a Bobcat game and can't say that I'm very interested in going, basketball's just not my thing. I think the spots that do well here are the ones that come in once or twice a year i.e the Wachovia Tournament and NASCAR) I just don't think that many people here enjoy or support professional or college sports (exception NASCAR) to warrant the amount of money that the city spends on it.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Is it a stereotype, or reality that most residents of Charlotte are like yourself, fantatically sports oriented?

Sounds like what you describe are business decisions, pure and simple. Nothing to do with certain individual's emotional upset and whatnot.
You aren't from around here, are you...... Hint: "March Madness" is not about hay fever.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 PM

227 posts, read 292,731 times
The Sting??? Oh please....sorry for your daughter, but does anyone really care about the WNBA? The NBA has been forcing it down our throats for long enough.

As for the arena not being large enough... well its just as big as the St. Pete Times forum. Speaking of which, how stupid id that to hold the tourney down there, where no one cares anything about ACC BB. Oh well, im an SEC guy anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
I just heard that after next year Charlotte will lose the chance to host the ACC Tournament until at least 2015. The cause is the new Bobcats Arena is smaller then the old Charlotte Collesium by 4000 seats. Way to go City Council maybe we can do another closed door session to add 4000 seats to the nose bleed section. In January, we lost The Charlotte Sting which broke my daughters hearts. Duke just lost to North Carolina State first round and now this this. I have an idea lets move my favorite summer team, the Charlotte Knights, uptown so they will leave too. What is up with sports and this town the Charlotte Hornets, Charlotte Sting and now the ACC tournament?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 AM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
The Sting??? Oh please....sorry for your daughter, but does anyone really care about the WNBA? The NBA has been forcing it down our throats for long enough.

As for the arena not being large enough... well its just as big as the St. Pete Times forum. Speaking of which, how stupid id that to hold the tourney down there, where no one cares anything about ACC BB. Oh well, im an SEC guy anyway.
Have to agree w/ Mr. Sippi - not having the ACC Tourney in Charlotte is the ACC's loss. Keep having it in Florida - real ACC country After all it worked out so well for the Wake / Tech championship game in football....

I didn't even know the Sting were playing this season until I read the headlines that they were leaving

SEC guy here too - Georgia. Sorry Mr. Sippi, the wife is an Ole Miss grad (I read you're a State guy)

Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 AM

48 posts, read 150,776 times
Quote:
The only people that I know that don't like sports are females and very feminine men for the lack of a better term!
*eyeroll*...

Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 AM

How do you figure it is a loss to the ACC? Ask the area business's how losing another 4 days work of good business revenues affects their business. Ya, I can see a lot of them going to the big dance;-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: