Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 14,428 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in teaching in a Union County middle school. I know it's a fast growing county, so I can imagine the over-crowding. However, can I get some feedback on how good the schools are (beyond test scores)? As a teacher, I like the 90-minute blocks many of the middle schools have, which allow more time for interdisciplinary units and less frenetic switching of gears - more time to concentrate. Are there any teachers contributing to these posts that could give me the "inside story"? Parents, too - any experience with middle schools there? My area, by the way, would be Language Arts. Thanks for any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Default Middle School Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Soul View Post
I'm interested in teaching in a Union County middle school. I know it's a fast growing county, so I can imagine the over-crowding. However, can I get some feedback on how good the schools are (beyond test scores)? As a teacher, I like the 90-minute blocks many of the middle schools have, which allow more time for interdisciplinary units and less frenetic switching of gears - more time to concentrate. Are there any teachers contributing to these posts that could give me the "inside story"? Parents, too - any experience with middle schools there? My area, by the way, would be Language Arts. Thanks for any insights!
Directory of Union County Middle Schools:
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schools/middledir.htm (broken link)

Union County Schools Staff Info - Click on Middle School (curriculum info)
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/forstaff.htm (broken link)

I have had good experiences with children at Parkwood Middle and Weddington Middle. Weddington Middle is about to split in two - half the students will go to the new Marvin Ridge Middle opening Fall, 2007.
My personal experience is that you get out of a school what you put into it. In both cases, I have found involved parent volunteers and caring teachers.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Considering Substitute Teaching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Soul View Post
Here's another suggestion - get certified to substitute teach in the area (we are desperate for good substitutes). My daughter is a college student hoping to also teach middle school Language Arts. When she is home for breaks, she could sub somewhere every day if she wanted to. I think it is a good thing to "try on" the job and see if you are a "good fit" for a particular school before you dive in. If you are a teacher, then you know each school has it's own little personality.

From a teacher's perspective, sometimes the newest school on the block is a lot more challenging than stepping into an already established program (accumulation of resources/supplies, everything already in place and coded, etc.)

Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 AM

149 posts, read 644,567 times
any idea what the salary for a sub is?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Union County Schools Job Fair

I noticed this info on a Union County Schools job fair:

http://hr.ucps.k12.nc.us/jobfair.htm (broken link)

Also, I think I noticed that Parkwood Middle is posting an opening for a middle school language arts teacher.

As far as substitute pay - I think it is somewhere around $60-$70/day (I'll have to check to be accurate.) A lot of folks I know have subbed as a part-time job because you can accept or decline a job as your schedule allows. As long as your spouse is covering the insurance, it's a great supplemental income while your kids are in school.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Union County Substitute Teacher Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
any idea what the salary for a sub is?
Ah ha! I found it:

Daily pay for substitute teachers in Union County Public Schools 2006-2007

$65/day for non-licensed who have not taken Substitute Effective Training
$71/day for non-licensed who HAVE taken Substitute Effective Training
$84/day for licensed

Here's the link for substitute teachers:

http://hr.ucps.k12.nc.us/substitute.htm (broken link)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,703 times
i'm not sure if you are still interested in teaching in Union County. I have taught there for the past 4 years. I am now a stay-at-home mom, but I loved my four years there! I taught 8th math at Parkwood Middle school. I agree about getting out of it what you put into it. If it is just a job for you than you will have a hard time making it each day, but if you enjoy teaching and put time into it you will have a very rewarding experience.

I do feel like I had parental backing most of the time. I also trusted my administrators and co-teachers.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 AM

21 posts, read 50,691 times
Default Same Boat

I too am a teacher looking to get employment in Union County for the next school year, if not sooner. I don't know much, but i thought I would ask if any of you know when the yearly job fair is for Union? Particularly for high school? Also, does Union do "transfer fairs" in the way that CMS does?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I know Marvin Ridge HS has some CMS teachers, you can go to the union county public shool website and there are jobs listed for teachers....my dd's new school Elem has teachers from CMS...they are always looking for good teachers....cant hurt to log on..

good luck..

Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hills View Post
I too am a teacher looking to get employment in Union County for the next school year, if not sooner. I don't know much, but i thought I would ask if any of you know when the yearly job fair is for Union? Particularly for high school? Also, does Union do "transfer fairs" in the way that CMS does?
The job fairs for both CMS and Union County were in the middle of April one day apart. I went to both of them. I am not sure if they have these more than once per year, but if not, it will be awhile before the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: