Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 16,032 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

My fiancé and I are considering a move from Long Island (suburbia) to the Charlotte Regional area.

My eyes have been crossing as of late with all the info i have read (most of it found on this site - so thanks to all who have unwittingly assisted so far) and while we have just really taken a liking to the Charlotte Regional area (i.e. Huntersville, Concord, Mount Holly to name a few areas we have done some home searches on), we are a wee bit concerned about all the HOA developments that exist.

Neither of us grew up in towns that have these types of developments (or maybe we did but back then - we are both in our early 40s - they just didn’t have HOAs) and are not really comfortable with the idea that a collective of people can take your home away from you for what we have read in some cases, to be minor violations. We also have a bit of a problem with the fact that there are rules such as how big your garden can be, what kind of items you can or cannot put in your yard, etc

I’d like to think not ALL HOAs are as terrifying as some of the extreme cases I have read about, but none the less, the facts seems to be consistent, if the HOA you live within has a gripe with you, they can make your existence fairly miserable (and in some case take your home or tell you when you can or cannot sell? UGH

Does anyone know if areas near where we have been looking: Huntersville, Concord, Mount Holly have homes that are NOT part of a HOA? We aren’t looking to lower our neighbors property value, or trash our home by any means (I’m actually kind of a neat freak and take a great deal of pride in my home) but honestly, some of the things I've read about HOAs make them sound beyond reasonable

Any info would be appreciated and if there are any other areas similar to Huntersville, Concord, and Mount Holly that we might be interested in, I would certainly love to hear about them

Thanks Everyone
Cheers

Last edited by LongIslandMover66; 01-29-2009 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: to get rid of all that format stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM

285 posts, read 800,291 times
have you been down to look?

there are many houses that are not in HOA's, many are older homes or just spot builds. Whats nice about an HOA community is that there are sidewalks and easier to walk around the neighborhood. Plus it is much easier to meet people at the pool and community activites

I am also from LI (EAst Northport, Holbrook) and the roads and streets are just designed differently. I can't just walk up to the store

Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Hi 5kidsmama -

No, we havent been down to the area yet, just started looking for a warm-er climate that would be more suitable for my mom who is in her 70s (she needs out of the cold) and someplace with lower propery tax and still has some growth potenital (aside from moving back out to veags which is a bit far for us now that we have some roots in LI)

When did you move and how happy are you that you made the move from LI to NC?

Thanks too for the reply!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
You may not be quite ready for this step, as it sounds like you are just starting to do your research, but I believe realtors can filter out any homes that are in an HOA neighborhood if you aren't interested in that type of community.

Not all homes in the Charlotte area are in HOA communities. DH and I just bought our first home, and we don't live in an area with an HOA. I understand your concern, but I don't really think you need to worry about it so much.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks ctribucher....(adorable dog to *heart* too, btw...) We weren't sure if the agents were connected to the HOAs in anyway and if they would sway folks one way or the other in that regard, so it is definately good to know that they will work with us to find a non-HOA home should we decide to go that route! Thank you again!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,315 times
Where on the Island are you from?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
You may run into a realtor being connected to or working for a builder if you are looking for new construction. But for existing homes, realtors shouldn't be pushing you to one home or one community over another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMover66 View Post
Thanks ctribucher....(adorable dog to *heart* too, btw...) We weren't sure if the agents were connected to the HOAs in anyway and if they would sway folks one way or the other in that regard, so it is definately good to know that they will work with us to find a non-HOA home should we decide to go that route! Thank you again!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Damemeow - we live in Levittown

Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 PM

ctribucher... thanks again for the good info!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 8,268 times
Default From NJ to Charlotte

My wife and I grew up in New Jersey and moved down to charlotte eight years ago. We live in a community with an HOA. If you are looking in Hundersville, Cornelius area I would suggest you move into a community with an HOA. I too grew up in a town without HOA's in Northern New Jersey, but unless you are looking at neighborhoods outside of downtown Charlotte, like, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood (high priced neighborhoods) the value of your home will increase in communities with HOA's over areas without HOA's especially outside of the Charlotte area. I lived in both a home with and without HOA and its better with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte