Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
I also heard a ton about Charlotte lacking character when I was investigating the area. Now that I have lived here for two weeks, I consider myself the foremost authority on all things Charlotte now, of course. The truth is, Charlotte is really, really spread out, and some parts of it lack character while other parts are oozing with it.

Like a lot of newer cities, Charlotte has suburban sprawl within its city limits, and that is where you are in the land of golden arches and beige subdivisions that, for me, defines lack of character. If you are someone looking to live in suburbia, you really shouldn't be surprised if your neighborhood doesn't have a hip urban vibe. If you want character, investigate the areas closer to uptown.

I live in NoDA, and have found that I am so close to Plaza-Midwood and Elizabeth that it feels like one big, cool as hell neighborhood. You want to talk character? Come to my hood. We have historic buildings, an awesome nightlife, hip boutiques, local artists performing in the street, TWO awesome bakeries, the best pizza I have had since leaving NY years ago, antique shops that keep my fiancee off my back, ethnic restaurants, etc... Of course, we also have more crime than you are going to find in outer whitelandia. The other day, someone burned a bunch of clothes in the street outside my house. Not sure what that was all about ....

I am loving Charlotte so far. Of course, I don't go to the suburban parts (soccer moms scare me) so I can't really speak on that aspect of the city. It just seems that if you want character, you don't go to the burbs. That rule seems to apply no matter where you live, no?

LAMF, I am laughing outloud over here! Yeah, us soccer moms - we're a scary bunch alright!! So glad to hear you are loving your new home and neighborhood. NoDa is lucky to have you there too Have you eaten at The Penguin yet??

Also, if you know of anyone else looking to buy in NoDa the guy I know building two homes there is still trying to sell one, just pm me for info if you want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM

476 posts, read 1,576,133 times
How come when we discuss "character" we are only pointing out buildings, businesses, etc. Doesn't character of an area also come from the folks that surround it - that is something that each and everyone of us can have an impact on.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:09 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,556 times
Several years ago I thought Charlotte was a beautiful city. It was clean, had good maintained roads, lots of surrounding undeveloped land, uncrowded lakes and more businesses. There were a few areas that had traffic issues but for the most part in 25 minutes you could leave inside the 485/77/85 loop and be in the country. Now you have all the trash, traffic and higher crime associated with the rapid development. Our city also had true southern charm as my wife would say. That character has been replaced by unchecked urban sprawl. Maybe when I have a chance I will dig out some pictures and show just how much things have changed!

Old 03-16-2007, 03:19 PM

297 posts, read 1,141,556 times
Someone mentioned Dilworth/Myers park as displaying character. I lived there for several years and I can tell you that it has also changed. Yes, it has long been a wealthy area, but many of the mansions that you see now had former lives as smaller homes on decent lots. I don't define character as some new fade that replaces something with a little wear. Character takes time to evolve. Thats why many areas have historic districs that only allow certain changes to the homes. I personally think Charlote has always been a play on perception. Trying to be something that it is not.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
How come when we discuss "character" we are only pointing out buildings, businesses, etc. Doesn't character of an area also come from the folks that surround it - that is something that each and everyone of us can have an impact on.

You got that soooo right. I have only been here a short time and I started missing home until I went to work and met some of the best southern people. I'm gonna say that word again.........REFRESHING! I find the values here very refreshing and that to me means character.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 PM

476 posts, read 1,576,133 times
As much as I want my children to experience the historic aspect of their new hometown, I feel that it is the people they meet everyday that are going to impact them and who them become as they get older. I am all for preserving the old and I personally do my best to support local business before the big chains when I can but I really think that the people are what speaks most about overall character. JMO.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 PM

91 posts, read 411,990 times
Bah, character is overrated.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 AM

82 posts, read 319,625 times
Honestly, with all of the builders tossing massive "cookie-cutter" homes by the thousands in the 'burbs, I must admit that you've got to pick & choose where to go in Charlotte.

If you stay in the older areas, it's really a fantastic city! Plaza Midwood, Dilworth, Sedgefield, Cotswold, Madison Park, just to name a few. These are minimally 40-year-old neighborhoods with mature trees and tons of character.

Obviously depends on your school needs, too -- but I do think there's plenty of character here!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklaur View Post
As much as I want my children to experience the historic aspect of their new hometown, I feel that it is the people they meet everyday that are going to impact them and who them become as they get older. I am all for preserving the old and I personally do my best to support local business before the big chains when I can but I really think that the people are what speaks most about overall character. JMO.
I think that's what impresses so many (me as well). I really love it. I hate seeing so many of our old buildings go, but if the charm of the people goes over the years, that'd be a deal-breaker for us. We'd be otta here!!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 44,606 times
To answer your question coming from a single, professional male 30 years old. Yes, Charlotte lacks character and charm. It is a plastic city, it is a small southern town trying to be a major city lacking culture, things to do.
I lived in Phoenix and Denver while spending lots of time in Cali and Vegas. These places had so much to do for a single male.
Now, before all you goobers go nuts after reading my comments.
Charlotte is a place for certain people: married, with kids, who like a slow, quiet life. It is great for families and quite safe. I don't get all this hoo-hah about crime. As much as I despise this town, Charlotte is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte