Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 30,620 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a house in Charlotte that has all electric heat & appliances. I'd like to have a gas line run to the house because a) I loathe cooking on electric stoves and b) I cannot part with my Viking range.

From my research, I think I'd need to contact Piedmont NG. Does anyone have experience with this and would be able to walk me through their process?

I'm hoping someone can give me a ballpark figure of the cost to have this done. I need some actual facts to back up my case with my husband... I don't think the sweet-talking's working so far!

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
We just had a thread on this very subject w/in the last month. I will see if I can find that for you. Someone even posted a list of contractors who can install the line.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Here is the thread - it has lots of info about getting a line run - along w/ contacts

Gas Line Run for Grill?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 30,620 times
Thanks for the info, my concern though is that thread is about running a line when the house already has gas. The house I'm talking about does not have gas at all. I'm hoping for someone who's had to start "from scratch," to tell me how astronomically expensive it'll be. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 AM

If you do not have a line at your road, you can't get gas run to your house. So the first thing you have to determine is - do you have a line at your road? You can call Piedmont Natural Gas and they can tell by your address if there is a line at the road.

Then it depends on how many feet of pipe have to be laid from the road to your house; then the hook up fees, etc.

This was the exact situation I had when we purchased our house. We had gas at the road, but had to run the line to our house, then hook up the things we wanted hooked up.

The estimates I got started at $1800, I believe, for installing the line. Hooking up to our fireplace was another $500-750 or so, b/c bricks had to be removed, etc. Then, additional fees for more line and each appliance we wished to have hooked up. So add the cost of new gas water heater, gas stove, etc. If you are already going to replace those appliances, then that is not a big concern (cost of new appliances).

No one would tell me anything on the phone - I had to have contractors come to the house to do the estimates.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-22-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM

120 posts, read 325,467 times
I agree with Ani, we looked into getting a gas stove and if I remember correctly was quoted a price of $2000 or $2500. We do have a gas fireplace but since it was on the other side of the house he (someone from PSNC)said it would be best to run it from the road side (where the line was). It would have taken atleast a day for a crew of 4 guys. It was cheaper for us because we are on a corner lot and closest to the line so unless you have a corner lot your price will be more.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyePA View Post
I agree with Ani, we looked into getting a gas stove and if I remember correctly was quoted a price of $2000 or $2500. We do have a gas fireplace but since it was on the other side of the house he (someone from PSNC)said it would be best to run it from the road side (where the line was). It would have taken atleast a day for a crew of 4 guys. It was cheaper for us because we are on a corner lot and closest to the line so unless you have a corner lot your price will be more.
Hey, GoodbyePA!!! You know, I should have mentioned . . . that estimate was from back in 2002. So I am sure it costs more now. Plus, I just asked DH about what he remembers of all this, and he said that $1800 was the lowest estimate - that the others were even higher. One company would not even give us an estimate - said we would have to hire a brick mason first b/c they would not touch anything around that fireplace until a brick mason had done whatever needed to be done to get things prepped for the line to be run into the fireplace.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 PM

264 posts, read 854,620 times
We just did this last month. There was a gas line at the street, but our house is on propane (which is super-duper expensive by the way).
We didn't have to pay for the line to the house b/c we have our water heaters, stove, and furnaces that will be running on natural gas. Piedmont said we had enough items that will be running off nat. gas to not have to pay.
We haven't had our stuff converted yet b/c it is too cold.
We have to get a permit, get the things converted, have an inspection and then they will come back and install the meter so we can be up and running again.
We are going to leave the fireplaces running on propane b/c it is too expensive to change them out...I was told about $1300 each
If you call Piedmont and speak with a salesperson, they will come out and measure (if there is a line at the road) and they will also want to know which and how many appliances will be running on gas and they will tell you how much $, if any. There is a certain "feet" amount that is free also from what I remember from talking to the saleslady on the phone, so maybe if they don't have to go too far, it will be free.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Cooking on electric stoves SUCK! I hate it, hate it, hate it!

I did the same thing when we were looking to buy. DH called Piedmont Gas and they were very nice each time he called. If it couldn't be done house was off the list. The house we bought has a gas fireplace, don't remember what the waterheater is. Anyway since we have a line to the fireplace luckily it should only be about $100 to get to the kitchen. Haven't switched it out yet. I loathe electric....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: