Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 PM

148 posts, read 574,183 times

Advertisements

I've read a few people say that you have to keep a check on home builders to make sure they aren't doing crappy work and visit your site often. With me being on the other side of the state and finishing a degree this semester, I can't go check on them every week. I'll be free this coming week since it's Spring Break, so I'm making the trip then, but on average, how often should one visit the site during the building process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
You may want to consider hiring a home inspector -- there are some companies that go out several times at different stages of the building process and will inspect on your behalf.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Cool beans. I was going to get an inspection done anyway, but I thought I had to wait until everything was done in order to get the inspection. Well, if that's the case... any referrals?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 PM

According the TOS, I don't think I can post their names. I sent you a DM.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclmn View Post
how often should one visit the site during the building process?
Every. Single. Day. I caught literally dozens of issues while my home was being built. Get yourself a code book and construction quality guidelines book. Read 'em. Use 'em.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Living in Baltimore, we couldn't stop by at the drop of a hat. Our realtor would stop by every couple of weeks to take a quick look around during the process.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Just got my weekly update from the builder and it seems as if this weeks plan is the same as last weeks plan, with the exception of scraping off organics. I understand though that Charlotte got quite a bit of snow last Sunday so I don't think they were able to start on Monday or even Tuesday like they had planned.

Thank you for informing me that inspectors will go out throughout the building process and inspect. I spoke with one inspector over the weekend and plan to call another today to compare rates. Does anyone have opinions of A-Pro Home Inspections or Pillars to Post Home Inspections?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM

I have clients that have used A-Pro before and I have found them to be very good.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM

393 posts, read 1,187,589 times
We went at least once every week, over the weekend. Sometimes would drop in during the week, during working hours. That's where you find the real things they are doing wrong.

If you do find things wrong, call your construction manager and complain. I had our's number on speed dial. Be a pain in the arse if you have to...its your $$!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
It's been a long time since we built a house but we went never went more than a few days without visiting, depending on what stage the house was in. We found something every time we went...including open soda cans behind drywall (no wonder so many of the neighbors had ants!!), light boxes that were off center, doors set to open the wrong direction, nails in drywall instead of screws (which we requested and had to pay extra for), etc.

We visit houses in progress here and have seen some stuff we would have called the builder about if it was our house...bathroom/HVAC venting that was kinked and would be completely ineffective, insulation installed backwards, more soda cans and food wrappers, sub flooring that was nailed down (as opposed to screwed but that is just my pet peeve, I hate squeaky floors)...but from below you could see that every single nail missed the joist...the list goes on. Most of the important stuff can't be seen/know/easily fixed once the drywall goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte