Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 PM

23 posts, read 76,679 times

Advertisements

I see what you mean by too refined now, and you're mostly right. There are examples of modern supercars that don't coddle you and make you feel "at home" but I agree that too much technology is going into many of them, and some are too comfortable for what they're supposed to be.

I do understand the big American muscle car thing, I look at them when they drive by too. While Corvettes don't do anything for me, I have a place in my heart for the old Stingrays Have you seen the new 2010 Camaro? They have plans for a Z28 edition but put it on hold for a while (economy.) I know it's not the same thing, but it's worth a look.

Next time your neighbor's son comes around, ask for a drive. If he did it right, it's a 6-speed manual and has a rev-match feature that automatically blips the throttle on downshifts. You'll either love it or hate it.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
The best cars are engineered and built in a place with some roads without speed limits....

Pre-production 2007 BMW M6 checked out from BMW M GmbH's skunkworks in Garching Germany as a press agent (5.2006 I know some people)....
I was scheduled to drive a red one, but it was crashed at the Salzburgring the day before.

Doesn't take long to go through USD140($) of Shell 100 octane. Yep that is me in Oberammagau.
Got about 6 mpg holding the peddle at 168 mph.

MUST resist super-car clubs, especially in a place where you cannot really enjoy them.

Last edited by mullman; 05-12-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csburdick View Post
I see what you mean by too refined now, and you're mostly right. There are examples of modern supercars that don't coddle you and make you feel "at home" but I agree that too much technology is going into many of them, and some are too comfortable for what they're supposed to be.

I do understand the big American muscle car thing, I look at them when they drive by too. While Corvettes don't do anything for me, I have a place in my heart for the old Stingrays Have you seen the new 2010 Camaro? They have plans for a Z28 edition but put it on hold for a while (economy.) I know it's not the same thing, but it's worth a look.

Next time your neighbor's son comes around, ask for a drive. If he did it right, it's a 6-speed manual and has a rev-match feature that automatically blips the throttle on downshifts. You'll either love it or hate it.
One example that just came to mind as I got back from an evening cruise over to a friend's house. The Z06 has traction control and active handling. I bump them off, or at least run in Competitive Driving Mode. Not because I drive like a maniac, but because I grew up knowing how to control the inputs I initiated, or at least wanted to know who was controlling who.

Yes, my neighbor's son does have the 6-speed with the rev-matching feature. Cool stuff now doubt, but I still like pulling full rev downshifts and feeling the smoothness and unrelenting power when done correctly. Sometimes just for the heck of it I like to drive several miles without using the clutch just to fine tune my skills at matching revs and syncros. I guess when you're old, you fall back on the skills that make you feel young again and shun some of the technology that makes your life easier, but your skills duller.
(Yes, of course I do use computers, but I still can't find a use for texting.)

Mullman have I mentioned how much I resent you rubbing my nose in your ability to cruise German roads in German machinery that didn't belong to you therefore allowing you to drive it like you stole it...... Okay, truth be known the word is probably not "resent" as it is "envy", but I usually get those confused... ha!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Mullman have I mentioned how much I resent you rubbing my nose in your ability to cruise German roads in German machinery that didn't belong to you therefore allowing you to drive it like you stole it...... Okay, truth be known the word is probably not "resent" as it is "envy", but I usually get those confused... ha!

You can Euro-Delivery a new BMW, MB, or Porsche (also Saab & Volvo from Sweden).
BMW & MB offer a good discount, Porsche actually charges extra, and drive your new baby as you wish on unrestricted Autobahns.
Shipping back to the USofA included.

I saved 13% off my last BMW doing this and drove it WOT, 155 mph, on the Autobahn. Priceless.

My old car just outside Mittenwald heading to the Zugspitze.

Not as 'super' now, driving an '09 MINI, but having lots of fun.

Last edited by mullman; 05-12-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Very nice Mullman, I'm jealous. Always wanted to cruise the Autobahn - I will some day

I agree getatag, while a lot of the technology nowadays is nice, it's taking away from overall driving skill. Heck, I think that everybody should initially learn how to drive on a manual transmission, and that's pretty much gone these days. The revmatch feature is cool, but as you said, takes away from the skill of learning heel-toeing. Thankfully that feature can be turned off

Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 105,623 times
This looks very cool. The only Porsche I've ever driven was a 944 way back in the 80's, it was very fun but I'd love to get behind the wheel of the 911 for a ride. Maybe I'll ask my wife for father's day :-)

Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM

To be honest schoon, I wasn't too impressed with the 911 Turbo. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice car, but it most certainly didn't feel like a $130K car. Especially not when a $70K Nissan is more fun.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
+1 for the Vette

I've posted this a few times but really if your a car nut you really need to check out Jay Leno's Garage, what an incredible collection. He's got his review in for the 2010 Camaro. But really check out his Vette collection, Porsche collection etc, when DH first went on the site I didn't see him for hours until he had caught up on all the pieces. He's got some great stories too on how a few of them were purchased. Enjoy!

[http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/]

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I've posted this a few times but really if your a car nut you really need to check out Jay Leno's Garage,
He also writes a witty column monthly in Popular Mechanics.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
He also writes a witty column monthly in Popular Mechanics.
Ohh, I'll have to let DH know. Cool pics too, I know we are suppose to be looking at the car, but look at the scenery, wow! That's pretty cool you got to run a test drive, nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte