Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times

Advertisements

Are there any ultrasound technology schools in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,834 times
South Piedmont Community College offers an associate degree in Medical Sonography.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
South Piedmont Community College offers an associate degree in Medical Sonography.
Thanks thebalogas. I looked to see how far it was from me (90 miles). I live in Lincoln County.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Are there any ultrasound technology schools in the area?
Just be aware, the market is a bit saturated in the radiology tech field - not everyone can find a job when they get out of school (though the schools don't always tell you that!). A much better choice is dental hygenist

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Here are several degrees I would consider, as well as ultrasound:

Respiratory Therapy - Catawba Valley CC as well as CP have these degrees (I think)

Not sure wh/ community colleges nearby might have these degrees/certifications:

Physical Therapy Assistant

Occupational Therapy Assistant

Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks Loves. I was wondering about that, all I have read is how wonderful the job prospects are.

Ani, I was actually looking into Respiratory Therapy at Catawba......I have quite a bit of life experience with 3 asthmatic kids .

I am just trying to reinvent myself for when my youngest starts school full time.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Thanks Loves. I was wondering about that, all I have read is how wonderful the job prospects are.

Ani, I was actually looking into Respiratory Therapy at Catawba......I have quite a bit of life experience with 3 asthmatic kids .

I am just trying to reinvent myself for when my youngest starts school full time.
Oh, that is VERY wise! I have a lot of friends who did that and are so pleased they prepared ahead.

Respiratory Therapy is a great field. I have two friends who went into it after age 35. One got her certification at 50. They are both very happy working in that field.

I did some research trying to find a program close to you for ultrasound but haven't so far. How bad a drive it is to CVCC?

Also - a hospital I worked for a long time back used to have an on-site program. I wonder if any of the hospitals near you might have an arrangement like that? I will put out feelers and let you know if I find anything out.

I think you are really smart for thinking ahead, SSD. Great idea!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

I think Presby has a Respiratory Therapy certification program. And I am thinking CP has ultrasound and Respiratory Therapy. So you might check out w/ their allied health folks and see if that is correct.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
or just google it..... Creating Success in North Carolina (http://www.ncccs.cc.nc.us/ - broken link)

Ultrasonography very hard to get into after graduation - field is lucrative and people tend to stay. A technically superior u/s tech is worth every bit of salary s/he commands. CPCC has PTA, Resp Ther and a gazillion other stuff, ; CVCC has sleep tech, resp tech, Gaston (campus in Lincolnton) has several programs, Mitchell (mooresville/statesville) has some things - check out the websites and do a little research! This is a lean year - campuses on reduced hours/days so go by, M-Th ~2p Everybody happy after lunch. Do not leave messages or emails at departments - most faculty are GONE until the circus begins again in August. Do not go during late reg week in August - much too late and everyone grumpy and rushed and worried how we're going to fit 30 people into a 20 person course AND maintain quality....

Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
or just google it..... Creating Success in North Carolina (http://www.ncccs.cc.nc.us/ - broken link)

Ultrasonography very hard to get into after graduation - field is lucrative and people tend to stay. A technically superior u/s tech is worth every bit of salary s/he commands. CPCC has PTA, Resp Ther and a gazillion other stuff, ; CVCC has sleep tech, resp tech, Gaston (campus in Lincolnton) has several programs, Mitchell (mooresville/statesville) has some things - check out the websites and do a little research! This is a lean year - campuses on reduced hours/days so go by, M-Th ~2p Everybody happy after lunch. Do not leave messages or emails at departments - most faculty are GONE until the circus begins again in August. Do not go during late reg week in August - much too late and everyone grumpy and rushed and worried how we're going to fit 30 people into a 20 person course AND maintain quality....
MARY - You are a wonderful resource! I always learn f/ your posts re: education at community college level. Thank you so much for posting this info. This thread could be a lot of help to not only SSD - but others w/ kids who are in high school and thinking about further education after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte