Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:35 PM

19 posts, read 43,080 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a reliable mortgage company in the Charlotte area? I wasn't sure if anyone had any recent purchase transactions with a company and were pleased with how things were handled. We have seen some smaller firms offering rates lower than the big banks, but don't know much about them. Not sure if we should stick to the ones with the big names so to speak.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
How would you define recent? Does December 2008 count? If so, I have someone I can recommend.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:04 PM

370 posts, read 753,095 times
We closed on a home in December of last year. We used Jeffrey Trout at Myers Park Mortgage and he was efficient and helpful.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM

23 posts, read 64,846 times
David Knorr at Homestead Mortgage. He's my neighbor. We did our last refinance through them. Highly recommended!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:58 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Please go to a bank directly. You will save A LOT of money!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
I respectfully disagree. When we were shopping for a mortgage, we spoke with four banks directly, as well as with two different mortgage brokers. The mortgage broker we chose worked very hard to earn our business, and got us a 30 year fixed rate mortgage that we were comfortable with. Even with his fee, the amount needed to close was lower than what the banks quoted us.

Of course, we were shopping for a loan in November/December 2008, so maybe things have changed. Still, I think it is wise for anyone who is looking for a mortgage to talk to multiple companies to find a loan that works best for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM

370 posts, read 753,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I respectfully disagree. When we were shopping for a mortgage, we spoke with four banks directly, as well as with two different mortgage brokers. The mortgage broker we chose worked very hard to earn our business, and got us a 30 year fixed rate mortgage that we were comfortable with. Even with his fee, the amount needed to close was lower than what the banks quoted us.

Of course, we were shopping for a loan in November/December 2008, so maybe things have changed. Still, I think it is wise for anyone who is looking for a mortgage to talk to multiple companies to find a loan that works best for them.

I agree...

We also checked out two other banks. The rate and fees with the mortgage company were cheaper and I thought he really WANTED our business. He would respond to emails almost immediately, came to the closing, and still checks in to make sure we do not need anything.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:38 AM

140 posts, read 323,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ahhh chicagocubs, some people just don't learn. I agree brokers will always -or at least more often than not- be more expensive and "craftier" than going to the bank directly.
I'd advise too to go to the bank directly but DO ask questions about the loan officer experience, etc, do your homework and don't expect the loan officer to do everything for you, get involved for chriss sake, this is a big deal, too many people took the casual approach when it came to their mortgages.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 17,761 times
call Jenny Stoner at Suntrust Bank here in Chlt. (704) 246-3044. she's done two residential mortgages for us and is the best of about 5 I've used in the past 12 yrs.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
Ahhh chicagocubs, some people just don't learn. I agree brokers will always -or at least more often than not- be more expensive and "craftier" than going to the bank directly.
I'd advise too to go to the bank directly but DO ask questions about the loan officer experience, etc, do your homework and don't expect the loan officer to do everything for you, get involved for chriss sake, this is a big deal, too many people took the casual approach when it came to their mortgages.
I am always more confortable with brokers for YSP disclosure alone. Banks can bump up your rate on the back to earn more money and NOT disclose it to you where as brokers at least have to disclose. They may not explain it to you but it will be on your paper work and if you ask you will find out you could have gotten a lower rate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte