Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times

Advertisements

Cleveland County had a little project this year. Potatoes, both white & sweet, were grown on donated land. The harvest is being donated to feed people. It's a pretty good idea, and I thought that I'd post a couple of links. There are more articles. Just search with the word potato & you can get the rest of the articles in the recurring series (& some potato recipes too)

Feeding the Hungry: Seed, supplies, hands needed for potato project | span, class, seed - Local News - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/span-44203-class-seed.html - broken link)

This is the most recent.

Students, youth group harvest potatoes for hungry | students, group, youth - Local News - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/students-48015-group-youth.html - broken link)

This week, the Kings Mountain Herald ran an article on the project & the Gardner Webb students helped to harvest 5000 lbs of sweet potatoes from a donated field, last weekend. There are still a couple of fields to be harvested.

It's a good idea & a simple concept. I thought that I'd post this in case someone in another county is involved with a group & could start this there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Way to go Cleveland County farmers.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Way to go Cleveland County farmers.
Sunny, I think that this could work even if people with gardens just planted some potatoes & had a central place to take them.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cleveland County had a little project this year. Potatoes, both white & sweet, were grown on donated land. The harvest is being donated to feed people. It's a pretty good idea, and I thought that I'd post a couple of links. There are more articles. Just search with the word potato & you can get the rest of the articles in the recurring series (& some potato recipes too)

Feeding the Hungry: Seed, supplies, hands needed for potato project | span, class, seed - Local News - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/span-44203-class-seed.html - broken link)

This is the most recent.

Students, youth group harvest potatoes for hungry | students, group, youth - Local News - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/students-48015-group-youth.html - broken link)

This week, the Kings Mountain Herald ran an article on the project & the Gardner Webb students helped to harvest 5000 lbs of sweet potatoes from a donated field, last weekend. There are still a couple of fields to be harvested.

It's a good idea & a simple concept. I thought that I'd post this in case someone in another county is involved with a group & could start this there.
What an awesome idea!

I know of a church that does this, on a much smaller scale of course. Thanks for sharing the links southbound

Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What an awesome idea!

I know of a church that does this, on a much smaller scale of course. Thanks for sharing the links southbound
You're welcome, loves. I saw an article in the Kings Mountain Herald last spring looking for a farmer who could donate some land in Kings Mountain. It seemed like a good idea then, but thought that I'd let it play out, to see how it actually worked in real life.

This week's Kings Mountain Herald ran a full page on the harvest of the donated field in Kings Mountain. 5,000 pounds of sweet potatoes is a lot & will certainly help out. I checked the Shelby Star & found links to several articles, so now seemed like the time to post. It really worked out well, & with 2 more fields of sweet potatoes to be harvested, this will make a difference.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Cleveland County is at it again. This year even City of Kings Mountain donated use of some land. This ran earlier this year.

Ending Cleveland County hunger one potato at a time | kings, mountain, cleveland - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County (http://www.shelbystar.com/news/kings-53570-mountain-cleveland.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte