Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No disrespect FamilyLife, but are you really unaware of the impact the banking disaster has had on the number 2 banking center in America, Charlotte?

Charlotte is a great place to live, and to raise a family. But finding a job here in banking right now would be pretty tough. It just seemed to me like anyone in banking would know this, which is why I asked if your post was a joke.

Hey, you could still try, maybe your skill set is such that you'd be a shoo in with Wells Fargo (who took over Wachovia). If not, ride out the recession where you are and try again in a year or two - like I said, Charlotte's a great place to be, IF you have a job. Unfortunately, many of us don't, and some of us are having to leave to find one. For example, my very experienced and skilled husband has been out of work a year - A YEAR. Forewarned is forearmed
'

Good grief. Must you be so negative.

Notice - I didn't get negative in my post. I made sure I left out that the bank contracts here rarely last 18 months and if they last that long, they then lay off or face regs requiring them to hire these folks as employees w/ benefits. . . Y'all are giving TOO MUCH NEGATIVE INFO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
'

Good grief. Must you be so negative.

Notice - I didn't get negative in my post. I made sure I left out that the bank contracts here rarely last 18 months and if they last that long, they then lay off or face regs requiring them to hire these folks as employees w/ benefits. . . Y'all are giving TOO MUCH NEGATIVE INFO!
ROFLAO - thanks my friend, you made me laugh outloud.

Gosh, if you and I are negative, there's really no hope for the world!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM

201 posts, read 670,572 times
Hello!

If you are serious about moving, how about talking with a recruiter first?

He or she may have some ideas about openings in the Charlotte area (or other cities nearby).

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting your name out there, even if there isn't on opportunity right now.

When things do start to pick up, you're name, resume, and information is already with the recruiter(s).

And if you do find a job through one beforehand, then you can post again and we can talk neighborhoods!

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:44 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
Quote:
ROFLAO - thanks my friend, you made me laugh outloud
Me too!!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
ROFLAO - thanks my friend, you made me laugh outloud.

Gosh, if you and I are negative, there's really no hope for the world!
Yes, PollyAni and LovesCharlotte . . .

Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Me too!!
Hey, Elle!! Glad I made you giggle!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM

370 posts, read 753,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyLife View Post
Thanks. Sounds like I should stay put for a while. NY is just too expensive to raise a family.

Why would I be joking people?

Job market in NY isn't much better. Plus my commute is greater than an hour to manhattan.
Bank of America is also having a mass hiring to support the refi boom. I think their are about 300 open positions right now. Check out the website. If your skill set matches, see what you can land.

Also, try contracting positions...

Yes we do have a high unemployment rate, but if you can afford to take a little time without pay, I think you would find the COL is very good here.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM

272 posts, read 786,199 times
You have to understand that a lot of people on this forum have a hard time comprehending that property taxes are double or even triple than they are up north and that heating bills can be hundreds of dollars in the winter. Not to mention that everything up north is more expensive.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
You have to understand that a lot of people on this forum have a hard time comprehending that property taxes are double or even triple than they are up north and that heating bills can be hundreds of dollars in the winter. Not to mention that everything up north is more expensive.
I don't have a problem grasping that at all. But if someone comes down here and buys a home for $500,000 and has a mortgage of $2500/month, then can't find a job, or loses their job, the lower taxes/utilities aren't going to make the difference to save them. In today's society, and especially in this economic climate, there aren't many people running around with not only $500,000 cash, but also the cash reserves to keep that lifestyle up in the event that they didn't get that job as soon as they crossed the state line, or they end up being cut.

I'm sure the NY job market isn't great either, but to leave one bad job market for another bad job market, even if that job market costs less isn't a sound solution. But then, why would one ever let reality intrude?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 PM

46 posts, read 126,260 times
Default Family Life

I moved here from NY and have no intentions on going back. If it snows 2 inches companies will close. How is that for a snow day? I'm sure you still had to make that commute into Manhattan in all types of weather.

There is a huge financial presence here but you need to do some research and find out who is hiring. U.S. Bancorp is suppose to be expanding this year.

I know what the housing market is like in NY. You could buy an awesome home for $500k here but you may not have to spend that much to get the equivalent of what you currently own.

If you need more help, you can friend me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte