Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Well if this doesn't at least tie CouponJack for the biggest downer post in this thread....
Brian, The end of the world will be upon us when Coupon Jack announces that because of the big price run-ups of houses in Union County, he's moving back to NJ and is looking at all of the cheap houses with low taxes, in Ridgewood, Saddle River or Colts Neck (strictly for a bigger backyard)! Either the World will be ending.... or Hell will have frozen over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Brian, The end of the world will be upon us when Coupon Jack announces that because of the big price run-ups of houses in Union County, he's moving back to NJ and is looking at all of the cheap houses with low taxes, in Ridgewood, Saddle River or Colts Neck (strictly for a bigger backyard)! Either the World will be ending.... or Hell will have frozen over!

Hell will truly have frozen over, thawed, and refreeze when Ridgewood, Saddle River or Colts neck suddenly become affordable.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Hell will truly have frozen over, thawed, and refreeze when Ridgewood, Saddle River or Colts neck suddenly become affordable.
Well, there you have it! Hell is going to freeze over in Dec of 2012 - so that is when NJ will become affordable!!!

As far as our job rebounds, I believe we will see more jobs opening in 2011 . . . but I don't know that this city will EVER get back a lot of the white collar jobs it has lost.

For example, we have seen some very large law firms either shut down their Charlotte offices or scale back dramatically . . . same w/ financial services (not just bank related) . . . and then there are the architectural and engineering firms, many of wh/ have closed branches/offices here or are down to skeletal staff . . .Charlotte five years down the road is simply NOT going to be Charlotte as it was in 2006.

Hopefully, other corporations will decide to move here (or open offices here) but since the slow down is nationwide (well, international, really) . . . I see all this unfolding in a very slow manner - not any sort of sudden boom wh/ brings back the 32,000 jobs we lost last year (and who knows how many we have lost this year).

Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Not sure if that
s such a bad thing Ani...as long as those gaps are filled with other jobs: manufacturing, light-blue and blue collar jobs. Having so many "professional" jobs can make us top-heavy. One of Charlotte's best features is it's resiliency due to diversity. I know some folks thing we're screwed with the unemployment rate such as it is right now, but go visit some other comparable metro regions. Orlando and Denver are the two I've been to recently and we're MUCH better off than them. Some statistics may disagree, but my eyes tell me the truth. When places just start looking like crap, you know there's bad stuff happening. Orlando makes me both sad and sick. Unhappy people, tons of stalled construction projects, just an overall downer all around. Denver was much the same way. TONS of homeless people and just a general "blah" in the air (until you get up into the mountains, of course). I won't even use the trump cards of the extreme cities like Detroit.

Anyways...I digress...
I'm saddened to see people who wore those white collars lose a job and have to leave an area they like. On the other hand, I'll be the first in line to turn the lemons into (spiked) lemonade and get through this thing.

Now the first step will be landing a major manufacturing newcomer...anyone know of one? Oh yeah! Those police cars! Let's see if they want to come here! Oh wait...Bev already screwed that for us.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Not sure if that
s such a bad thing Ani...as long as those gaps are filled with other jobs: manufacturing, light-blue and blue collar jobs. Having so many "professional" jobs can make us top-heavy. One of Charlotte's best features is it's resiliency due to diversity. I know some folks thing we're screwed with the unemployment rate such as it is right now, but go visit some other comparable metro regions. Orlando and Denver are the two I've been to recently and we're MUCH better off than them. Some statistics may disagree, but my eyes tell me the truth. When places just start looking like crap, you know there's bad stuff happening. Orlando makes me both sad and sick. Unhappy people, tons of stalled construction projects, just an overall downer all around. Denver was much the same way. TONS of homeless people and just a general "blah" in the air (until you get up into the mountains, of course). I won't even use the trump cards of the extreme cities like Detroit.

Anyways...I digress...
I'm saddened to see people who wore those white collars lose a job and have to leave an area they like. On the other hand, I'll be the first in line to turn the lemons into (spiked) lemonade and get through this thing.

Now the first step will be landing a major manufacturing newcomer...anyone know of one? Oh yeah! Those police cars! Let's see if they want to come here! Oh wait...Bev already screwed that for us.
LOL!! Yep, thank our Guv . . .

Jack - call me a dreamer but I still want to re-create our textile industry here.

I am told the equipment is sold . . . but I still dream of textile factories.

My second dream is to establish a kudzu ethanol plant . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: