Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyf View Post
Mary and Eve, what area of town do you define as the South side? I had one poster say it was south of the Depot Hill along 21. Not up around the college.....
True - that was me... Around the college is considered the historic district, but not past Front St. to the south. The "...nice indoor basketball, gym, daycare, and children's waterpark..." is east of the city, the city tennis courts are ~1 mile from the college on Broad St. First Baptist Church is on Davie Ave and has an active adult group - line dance, Men's Group, etc.

The truth is, no one cares where you're from as long as you are a good human being and neighbor and keep up your property and curb your dog and don't drone on about how much better things were up North; if things were that good, why leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:39 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
True - that was me... Around the college is considered the historic district, but not past Front St. to the south. The "...nice indoor basketball, gym, daycare, and children's waterpark..." is east of the city, the city tennis courts are ~1 mile from the college on Broad St. First Baptist Church is on Davie Ave and has an active adult group - line dance, Men's Group, etc.

The truth is, no one cares where you're from as long as you are a good human being and neighbor and keep up your property and curb your dog and don't drone on about how much better things were up North; if things were that good, why leave?

Obviously, you don't know the natives well...

Old 07-07-2009, 12:18 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
[/b]

Obviously, you don't know the natives well...
Well bless your heart! I won't get into a meaningless debate with you, but as I've been here 30+ years and 2 of my 3 children were born and all 3 educated here, I'm in a much better position of knowing the "natives" and the area better than you. You be sweet now. (Before we came here, I lived near Addison and Broadway, near Wrigley Field, for close to 3 years back when the Cubs played only during the day and worked at Rush-Pres-St. Luke's. )

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 AM

14 posts, read 45,780 times
Default Info on statesville

Hi Ally,
Congrats on your move...we just moved to Salisbury last month and had the same concerns. You really have to spend some time in the area if at all possible. When we asked about salisbury, we were warned (including the stats on this site) about its higher than national violent crime rate. After living here a month and really investigating the place we found that there is a very very small area that is riddled with crime...i mean, I am 6-3 225 and wont even go there in the day time but the rest of the community seems to be great. Whats more important is that most of this crime is committed by criminals against other criminals. These people arent coming into good neighborhoods every night and terrorizing the residents. Whats even better is that Salisbury seems to be constantly interviewing its citizens on their likes and dislikes....they voted in a curfew for teens and last week it went into effect. The police seem to be everywhere and you can actually feel that this is a safe area. However, you ask about crime is salisbury and you will be told (by someone that does not live here) that you will be murdered here your very first night. We drove into statesville last week to explore and found parts of it to be absolutely beautiful and others were a little sketchy. The one thing i can say with absolute certainty is that NC overall is stunning. The majority of the people here are absolutely awesome and the scenery is beautiful. The area is growing almost daily and its easy to see why. If i understood correctly, Statesville is the home of NC's annual hot air balloon festival. That will be awesome. Oh, one other note. Because I was uncertain about salisbury because of conflicting info, i called salisbury police. They have an officer dedicated to each area that will give you crime stats for the area in which you are interested. This stats dont lie and for my neighborhood, there was virtually no violent crime and very little property crime. Im certain you can do the same with statesville. The cops can tell you where to live. Best of luck to you and hope to see you at the balloon festival one day

Bill

Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxedandsmilin View Post
Hi Ally,
Congrats on your move...we just moved to Salisbury last month and had the same concerns. You really have to spend some time in the area if at all possible. When we asked about salisbury, we were warned (including the stats on this site) about its higher than national violent crime rate. After living here a month and really investigating the place we found that there is a very very small area that is riddled with crime...i mean, I am 6-3 225 and wont even go there in the day time but the rest of the community seems to be great. Whats more important is that most of this crime is committed by criminals against other criminals. These people arent coming into good neighborhoods every night and terrorizing the residents. Whats even better is that Salisbury seems to be constantly interviewing its citizens on their likes and dislikes....they voted in a curfew for teens and last week it went into effect. The police seem to be everywhere and you can actually feel that this is a safe area. However, you ask about crime is salisbury and you will be told (by someone that does not live here) that you will be murdered here your very first night. We drove into statesville last week to explore and found parts of it to be absolutely beautiful and others were a little sketchy. The one thing i can say with absolute certainty is that NC overall is stunning. The majority of the people here are absolutely awesome and the scenery is beautiful. The area is growing almost daily and its easy to see why. If i understood correctly, Statesville is the home of NC's annual hot air balloon festival. That will be awesome. Oh, one other note. Because I was uncertain about salisbury because of conflicting info, i called salisbury police. They have an officer dedicated to each area that will give you crime stats for the area in which you are interested. This stats dont lie and for my neighborhood, there was virtually no violent crime and very little property crime. Im certain you can do the same with statesville. The cops can tell you where to live. Best of luck to you and hope to see you at the balloon festival one day

Bill
Yes-we went to see the Hot air balloons last Fall and it was amazing-about 40 balloons.We ddin't actually go into the festival-just joined lots of other people parked up around the road that goes around the perimeter of the airfield.
Carolina BalloonFest, Statesville NC USA - Hot Air Balloon Festival, 50+ Balloons, North Carolina Wines, Balloon Glow, Arts & Crafts, Food, Live Entertainment

Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Default Statesville Pumpkin fest

We also went to this, which we really enjoyed.
2009 Crossroads Pumpkin Fest

and to a battle re enactment at Fort Dobbs
Fort Dobbs, Statesville, NC - North Carolina State Historic Site with daily tours, living history events & educational opportunities related to the French and Indian War or Seven Years War

Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 52,820 times
Bill, that was the kindest reply, thank you so much. And thanks also for the advice about the police. We will take you up on that one! Susan, my DH will love the battle reenactment. How neat that Statesville hosts the balloon fest. That looks awesome! There are so many unknowns in relocating so far away. I try to remember that God is in control of everything and I just need to do my best to be prepared! Thanks for all your imput, friends!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 PM

509 posts, read 1,803,431 times
I lived in Statesville from 2000-2004, on the infamous South Side (South Race Street). We were on the edge of the "transitional" neighborhood and about a block from the historic area right around the college. Truth be told, I loved that neighborhood. There were tons of people walking about and yes some hanging on their front steps. Never, ever, had a problem. It was diverse. People knew each other. I am a "Yankee" and was welcomed warmly by the folks on my street, in my classes at the Y, etc.

I live in a nice clean huntersville subdivision now and truthfully I miss the old Statesville neighborhood - it had a great feel.

I LOVED the old houses right around the college - that would be my pick if I moved back. It's just a couple of blocks from a great walking park, close to the Y, you can walk around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte