Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 24,191 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a SWM professional 30 something considering relocated to Charlotte to work and go back to school (at UNCC). I am looking to spend no more than $75,000 on housing/condo's. What experience do you have for this range? I see some units that are in this price that include:

1) Shannon Greene (near UNCC)
2) Rosecroft
3) Orchard Trace
4) Sharon Lakes
5) Waterford
6) Heatherstone

I'm coming from Orlando so it's really hard to judge the value of Charlotte housing with the boom that's gone on in Central Florida, where housing has at least doubled and in some cases, tripled, over the last 8-10 years. I've read a lot of posts and plan to visit the area around the holidays. The Northern area seems like a cool spot.
Much Appreciated!
-Rob

Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
DO NOT under any circumstances buy at Orchard Trace. It is by far one of the most dangerous places in Charlotte. I don't even consider that the Univ. area and it makes me mad they market it as such. It is North Tryon and a bad area.

Shannon Green is a lot of college kids (and I mean kids, not grad students) and is very loud.

May I make a suggestion? Rent, don't buy, while in school. In your price range, you cannot get anything but dangerous ghetto or noisy, run down "frat flats". Go to the nice, yet affordable, apartments on Mallard Creek Church Rd. It is 10 minutes from campus but much, much nicer.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 24,191 times
Default Apartments

Noted. So there are some good apartments close? Something like, say, the Dominion at Mallard Creek? So hard to judge from online!

Old 07-29-2007, 04:57 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32orlando View Post
Noted. So there are some good apartments close? Something like, say, the Dominion at Mallard Creek? So hard to judge from online!
Those apts in that area have had more than average crime. I wouldn't live there. I'd pick Concord or Harrisburg much more safer than the Mallard Creek/Mallard Creek Church Rd area.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
The Mallard Creek Church Rd/Prosperity Church Rd area is perfectly safe. I lived there for 5 years after college, and lived in the UNCC area 2 years during college (Ballantyne and SouthPark the other two years). There are some fantastic apartments there, with garages.

The university area gets a bad rap when it comes to crime due to the N. Tryon corridor and areas close to Sugar Creek which IMO should not be called the Univ area. Plus, college students are always going to be targets because they are out late and cars are left unlocked. But the Mallard Creek Church area is more residential full of families and professionals.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
The Mallard Creek Church Rd/Prosperity Church Rd area is perfectly safe. I lived there for 5 years after college, and lived in the UNCC area 2 years during college (Ballantyne and SouthPark the other two years). There are some fantastic apartments there, with garages.

The university area gets a bad rap when it comes to crime due to the N. Tryon corridor and areas close to Sugar Creek which IMO should not be called the Univ area. Plus, college students are always going to be targets because they are out late and cars are left unlocked. But the Mallard Creek Church area is more residential full of families and professionals.
^^^Ditto to all of this. I've lived in the University area for over 10 years, never in an apartment though, but I have several friends who have rented in the area. You're not going to find any community, especially a rental community, that is totally 100% devoid of crime anywhere. Anything can happen anywhere, at any time, in any part of the city. But overall, the University area is a nice, safe place to live.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,122 times
2/7/10..i live in shannon green condo phase 2..live here for less than a year, i will not renew my lease when its up...problems: bunch of section 8 in complex, more and more thugs hanging around, in builidng 9333 (people stand on porch drinking an smoking weed, loud,)..just a select few, but since they are tearing down boulavard homes, sure there are more to come....ps (im black)

Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Here's what the crime DB says about Sharon Lakes 0.25 mile radius:

Non-aggravated Assault6 Vandalism2 Aggravated Assault-Gun1 Alcohol Violation-Other1 Hit and Run1 Larceny from Auto1 Larceny-Other1 Missing Person-Age 16 and Over1 Possession of Marijuana1

Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Since the OP posted 2 1/2 yrs ago, I'm sure he has found something by now. Let's start a new thread for more current info please.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte