Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Any direction or knowledge would be greatly appreiciated!
My fiance is a highly skilled ASE certified technician. He has 26 ASE certifications, he is I-car certified and an ASE certified Master Technician. He has owned his own custom auto shop, worked as a mechanic, and does body repair as his profession now. Over 17 yrs experience. He is efficient and does the work of 3 men in a given day. We are looking to move to Charlotte within the next 8 months.
What he would excel in is the racing industry. He has his SCCA license, and hours upon hours of track time in his car. We're simply looking for ways to get involved in the Charlotte race industry and how to go about getting a job with it.
I have a feeling its more of a "you were born into it" type of deal but who knows. My fiance can go into any qualified shop that has a position avail and rock their world, but he and i would both like him to pursue dreams and do what he loves. He doesnt want to race, but a crew chief, or auto repair for a reputable team would be awsome. Any suggestions on how to approach this?
If not, anyone know a shop hiring in the area for mechanic/body repair? He makes over $100k now, and we know we'll both take a pay decrease up there, but hopefully not too much... knowledgable answers needed. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Hello all. Any direction or knowledge would be greatly appreiciated!
My fiance is a highly skilled ASE certified technician. He has 26 ASE certifications, he is I-car certified and an ASE certified Master Technician. He has owned his own custom auto shop, worked as a mechanic, and does body repair as his profession now. Over 17 yrs experience. He is efficient and does the work of 3 men in a given day. We are looking to move to Charlotte within the next 8 months.
What he would excel in is the racing industry. He has his SCCA license, and hours upon hours of track time in his car. We're simply looking for ways to get involved in the Charlotte race industry and how to go about getting a job with it.
I have a feeling its more of a "you were born into it" type of deal but who knows. My fiance can go into any qualified shop that has a position avail and rock their world, but he and i would both like him to pursue dreams and do what he loves. He doesnt want to race, but a crew chief, or auto repair for a reputable team would be awsome. Any suggestions on how to approach this?
If not, anyone know a shop hiring in the area for mechanic/body repair? He makes over $100k now, and we know we'll both take a pay decrease up there, but hopefully not too much... knowledgable answers needed. thanks!

I live a shot from a lot of race teams (Hendrick, DEI, Roush/Fenway, Earnhardt/Ganassi...I believe Stewart/Haas isn't far either...) and all I hear are cutbacks and layoffs left and right. With GM also pulling back a lot of funding for both Nationwide and Sprint Cup teams that would make it about as close to impossible for your fiance (or any highly qualified person) to get anything with any race team in this area.

That's not saying that he absolutely can't because I don't put it past anyone to perform a miracle. I honestly think he'd need one to get into any race team right now.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Wow, quite upsetting, but thanks for the honesty. He wouldnt mind doing what he does now/ mechanic/auto body repair but i have a feeling if he sees a huge pay decrease (due to the huge decrease in cost of living) it may scare him from moving. We live in a very urban fl area and enjoy a good lifestyle. We're by no means rich, but would like to continue to enjoy our obtained lifestyle.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Sadly, the racing teams here have had to lay off. It has left a lot of people in a bad situation. The thing to do would be to contact some of the high end shops here and see what they might advise. I used to advise - "there is always room for exceptional talent" but the cold hard facts are - there is a lot of exceptional talent w/o jobs right now.

You need to sit tight where you are - but why not ask some questions? Contact some people? The situation could be entirely different a year from now!

Good luck as you explore the possibilities.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM

We're not going anywhere without work, even if its a repair shop. He has made a name for himself here, but in Charlotte, he'd be working from the bottom of the totem pole. Does anyone know of a reputable dealership or big garage hiring? Any another question id like to throw in. how do you go about getting a job from elsewhere? Fly up a few times and drop resumes (along with internet submittance?) I dont want to wait until 3 weeks before our lease is up, and find out we a) how no house in fl and b) have no job in charlotte? lol But no job will hold a position. Ugh. Takes money to make money.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sadly, the racing teams here have had to lay off. It has left a lot of people in a bad situation. The thing to do would be to contact some of the high end shops here and see what they might advise. I used to advise - "there is always room for exceptional talent" but the cold hard facts are - there is a lot of exceptional talent w/o jobs right now.

You need to sit tight where you are - but why not ask some questions? Contact some people? The situation could be entirely different a year from now!

Good luck as you explore the possibilities.

Exactly.

I never assume what people aren't capable of and don't put it past anyone to perform a miracle. To lilshorty I'd say to still put in your questions and still have your husband submit his resume. Close to impossible, probably. Absolutely impossible, never.

We'll just use Hendrick as an example...

<span style=color:white>Please wait...

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in job opportunities at Hendrick Motorsports. We get so many requests for information that it is not practical to respond personally to each one. However, in an effort to provide information to those who are unfamiliar with motor sports, we have written down some answers to commonly asked questions.

Resume Policy

At Hendrick Motorsports we screen all resumes or letters about employment that we receive. Resumes are sorted and placed in files by category. When jobs become available the appropriate resumes along with any other known qualified applicants are considered for interviews. Due to the number of resumes we receive, you will not be contacted unless we request an interview.

Job Qualifications

In almost every case we hire people with some type of racing experience. Even our “entry level” positions require proficiency in certain skills such as welding or fabrication combined with an understanding of how race shops function. If you are completely unfamiliar with racing, your best opportunity to break into the industry probably lies somewhere other than here. If you are looking for your first experience in the racing industry it might benefit you to start at the local or regional level by visiting some tracks or shops near your area. Performance shops, auto body shops and auto parts stores could also be good places to ask about local tracks or teams. Your initiative will need to take over from that point. Most of the learning that goes on in racing currently takes the form of on-the-job training. There are some colleges or vocational schools that offer racing oriented classes and may also be a good place to start. There is no particular program or school that we can recommend.

Getting a job in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Racing

It is very difficult to get hired on a Sprint Cup race team without living in the Charlotte area. If you are serious about getting hired, sooner or later you need to live in an area close by. Even with racing experience, it can take several months before you find an opportunity.

College Internships

At this time we do not have a set number of internships that we try to fill each year. Usually when a need arises for temporary work or special projects, we look at an internship-like position to fulfill those needs. Once again, we search for experienced candidates who are generally familiar with race shops, racecars and associated equipment or administrative practices. We will normally look at college juniors or seniors who have emphasized motor sports and related fields with their course selection, skill acquisition and racetrack experience. Simply having good grades and an interest in racing does not necessarily fit requirements, so your best bet is to get involved with race teams or related companies in your local area in order to build up some familiarity with racing.

We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte