Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I hate the Steelers, but they have awesome fans. Not sure what this comment means

What it means is that the Steelers have tons of fans who weren't even born in Pittsburgh. I know a few that I grew up in NJ with that have never stepped foot in Pittsburgh. Why are they Steeler fans? Well, in the 70's, the two dominant teams were the Steelers and Cowboys. Guess which two franchises have the biggest fan bases?? You got it.

If the Steelers and Cowboys didn't have the success they had back in the 70's, they wouldn't have the fan base they have now. I'm not knocking the teams or where they are from, I'm just stating that many of their fans jumped on their bandwagon back in the 70's and have been rewarded since. Well, at least the Steeler fans have been rewarded recently. For many Steeler fans, it has nothing to do with Pittsburgh. Same with Cowboy fans and it not having anything to do with Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Actually, I would say more actual fans than bandwagoners. There are a lot of Pittsburgh fans everywhere because so many people move away from PA.
I lived in NJ, PA, and now Charlotte. Other than my time in PA (just north of Pittsburgh) I have met many more Steeler fans who aren't from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh isn't that big in terms of population size. It's mid-level market. I don't doubt they love football there and I know that many people left Pittsburgh because of the poor conditions there so there was that "steeler fan flight".

Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
Coming down from Philadelphia we are a huge sports town football being one of them. I was just wondering how big football was in Charlotte?
In neighboring states like South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee, college football is what most people follow, and they stick to their old allegiances. I see tons of UGA, UT, Clemson, and USC fans when I'm in Charlotte.

NC college football isn't real popular. UNC and NC State have the potential to be popular, I guess, but I haven't seen much enthusiasm for ACC football.

People from big cities - particularly coming from up north - tend to primarily follow NFL football. I meet lots of Steelers, Pats, Eagles, and Redskins fans. They tend to adopt the Carolina Panthers as their new local team.

I know where I live (not Charlotte), the most popular teams are probably Steelers or Patriots football, Yankees or Red Sox baseball, or UNC basketball. It's sort of like being in an airport all the time. It's amazing how many steelers fans you see in NC.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
What it means is that the Steelers have tons of fans who weren't even born in Pittsburgh. I know a few that I grew up in NJ with that have never stepped foot in Pittsburgh. Why are they Steeler fans? Well, in the 70's, the two dominant teams were the Steelers and Cowboys. Guess which two franchises have the biggest fan bases?? You got it.

If the Steelers and Cowboys didn't have the success they had back in the 70's, they wouldn't have the fan base they have now. I'm not knocking the teams or where they are from, I'm just stating that many of their fans jumped on their bandwagon back in the 70's and have been rewarded since. Well, at least the Steeler fans have been rewarded recently. For many Steeler fans, it has nothing to do with Pittsburgh. Same with Cowboy fans and it not having anything to do with Dallas.
Ok, well being from Cleveland I went to lots of Browns/Steelers games since I was a child and their fans were probably mostly locals.

I'm sure due to recent success they have a lot of fair weather fans, just like the Cavs. Lol.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times
Compared to the old school die-hards from the NFL franchises in the north (Giants, Pats, Jets, Browns, Packers, Vikings, Bears, etc.), Charlotte is not a football town. I'd say fairweather. When the team is winning, people will follow them. When the team is average or losing, fan support wanes. Although in defense of Charlotte, the team hasn't been in existence for very long compared to the northern franchises. In time the support will grow. Transplanted kids that will have grown up with only the Panthers will become die-hards. Right now most of the people attending Panthers games grew up a fan of another franchise, so the dedication just isn't there yet.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM

174 posts, read 403,693 times
Quote:
I'm from Cleveland which a huge Browns Town(no matter what their record is), it's different here, you'll see.
That's because there is nothing else to do in Cleveland....

Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
That's because there is nothing else to do in Cleveland....
That's not true, imo

Old 07-17-2009, 01:17 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
That's not true, imo

YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt

Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

I've seen that video! Lol it's hilarious!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
fwiw they ranked 5th in 2008 attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte