Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,737 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are thinking about moving to Charlotte and now I have learned that a lot of snakes are living in North Carolina.

I have a strong phobia about snakes and cannot get rid of it. So I was wondering how to handle living in Charlotte.

This is a serious matter to me, therefore I would appreciate a lot if there are residents of Charlotte here to tell me about the situation with snakes.

Is it possible to live in Charlotte without snakes in the backyard or in the house? Are there any areas I could live with my family (the youngest child is 2 years old) without the fear of a snake in the house or around the house?

I have travelled around Australia, several states of US, Borneo, Singapur, China and Vietnam without being exposed to snakes. Of course they were around but I could avoid them. As travelling is limited time maybe I was just lucky, but to move to a place is a permanent matter. So this is a very important case to me!

Thank you for all serious information and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:09 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,120 times
I am terrified of snakes as well! Luckily, since I have been here (5 years) I have not seen one single snake...other than at the zoo. I also am always outside and running and walking on trails...so it doesn't seem like it is that common to run into them. However, you could run into a snake anyway...so no promises.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 AM

165 posts, read 559,387 times
On whether or not you will run into one, it's a matter of luck. Like the above poster, I have met people how have lived her 10, 15, 20 years and never ran across a snake in the wild. I, however lived here for a couple of months when I found two black snakes nesting in my garage. I understand the phobia, trust me. But there is no way to know if you'll ever come across one. There are precautions you can take to protect your house (sealing cracks, monitoring the yard for holes, etc) but the snakes called this place their home first. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Don't move here.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,647 times
People with phobias of mostly harmless reptiles should consider never going outside!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
A week ago I went outside and as I was walking down our walkway I noticed that I left the hose out, but I thought I had put it away. As I walk closer I see that it wasn't the hose at all! Just our friendly black snake.

Last edited by nascarnancy; 07-17-2009 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: issue's with photo

Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
A week ago I went outside and as I was walking down our walkway I noticed that I left the hose out, but I thought I had put it away. As I walk closer I see that it wasn't the hose at all! Just our friendly black snake.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 AM

311 posts, read 915,635 times
I've been here a year and seen two. One was in a woodsy area where there was no trail.. my fault for going back there! Husband killed him =D And the other was a black snack I saw scurrying into someone's garage.. ew, how dare he. I really wanted to leave a sign on their garage saying "SAW SNAKE COME IN, BEWARE!" That's about it. I'm terrified of them also. I ALWAYS have my eye out though when on trails and even not on trails.. just look at the pathway ahead of you to see if the way is clear.. or, don't move here. But, chances are you should be fine. If I saw one in the house, I would definitely die and move back up north!

nascarnancy.. that is an ugly snake. he looks all wrinkly. well, they're all ugly.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Did someone say snakes? This pic was sent over to me the other day by a friend of mine. This is what was crawling up her window.
Attached Thumbnails
Possibility to avoid snakes?-late-spring-2009-183.jpg  

Old 07-17-2009, 07:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,947 times
I have a fear of bugs, but to me the snakes thing makes no sense. They (bugs) can bite or feed on you without you instigating a thing. A snake however, unless you step on it or something is going to leave you alone. I don't love snakes, and don't really want to cuddle up to one, but I don't fear them persay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte