Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM

22 posts, read 32,107 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Like a lot of people on this board, I will be relocating to the Queens City in January from Connecticut. I have decided that Uptown is the place that I would like to be. I'm 28, single, and just feel like this is a place that I will be able to meet a lot of friends (which is very important to me). I visited Charlotte a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to check out a few places. I was hoping that you guys and gals would be able to help me on making my decision on where to move.

I've narrowed down the search to 4 places. If you have ever lived in any of them, visited any of them, know neighbors, management, or anything that you think would be helpful, it would be greatly appreciated.

Condos (To Rent)
- The Avenue
- Trademark

Apartment Complex
- Catalyst
- Camden Cotton Mills

Really appreciate the help in advance. Looking forward to hearing your responses!

Last edited by Gagne; 10-21-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
There's also new apartments going up next to Catalyst. The first apartment tower built to be apartments. I'd go with Trademark because Streetcar will roll along trade street. I'd like the convenience of having a modern streetcar (looks like light rail) connecting me to the airport & Through downtown to Plaza Midwood with stops at future gateway station (Amtrak, Greyhound, local buses, future 20 mile commuter rail to Moorseville & connection to the 20 mile blue line light rail connecting UNCC, NoDa, & SouthEnd.

Plus you are right by Harris Teeter

Edit; same with Avenue

Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Thanks Charlotte! When I was there a couple of weeks ago I saw a new apartment building going up but I'm unsure of who the company is / if there is a website to check out more info, any ideas?

I was leaning towards Trademark / Avenue and will have to see what places pop up over the next few weeks. Do you know if it's true that in North Carolina, if the owner of the condo defaults on their mortgage, the tenant would have 24 hours to vacate the premises?

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,614 times
Technically a lease is voided after a foreclosure. But normally a tenant gets many warning signs that the owner is in trouble... Various marketing companies offering "foreclosure relief" services mailed to your door while trying to locate the owner. Even after a foreclosure the posessing bank will normally allow a tenant to stay a few months.

TradeMark is a condo complex but I thought Avenue was apartments? Avenue opened around 2006, it's not such a new building nowadays and I would think rates would be reasonable there from among the uptown high rises. TradeMark is a little newer, it opened shortly before the financial crisis.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Technically a lease is voided after a foreclosure. But normally a tenant gets many warning signs that the owner is in trouble... Various marketing companies offering "foreclosure relief" services mailed to your door while trying to locate the owner. Even after a foreclosure the posessing bank will normally allow a tenant to stay a few months.

TradeMark is a condo complex but I thought Avenue was apartments? Avenue opened around 2006, it's not such a new building nowadays and I would think rates would be reasonable there from among the uptown high rises. TradeMark is a little newer, it opened shortly before the financial crisis.
Hey Sean, the best first name that there is :-)

Gotcha. My boss just rented a place at The Vue but he was looking at possibly leasing a condo until his realtor mentioned that to him. I wasn't sure if that was true or what the case was so came here looking for some more info.

The Avenue is actually a condo complex. They have many units for sale and one or two for rental that come up every few months. Love the layout and the unfinished look of the place but Trademark is really nice too. The rates are pretty reasonable. I saw a place listed at The Avenue about a week ago (it's off the market now) that was a 1 bedroom ~760sq ft for $1,295/mo. The cheapest place listed between the Avenue and Trademark for 1 bedroom is currently $1400 which is more than I want to spend on a rental. I've visited and looked at the the range from the lowend (Post Uptown, Uptown Gardens) to places in the middle (Camden Cotton Mills, Catalyst) to the high end (The Vue). I didn't have a chance to visit either The Avenue or Trademark when I was down there a few weeks ago but the pictures of the place look great. I like the community events that the apartment complexes offer because meeting a social group of friends soon after I get there is pretty important to me.

Great info so far :-)

Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 AM

958 posts, read 1,724,394 times
The Avenue and Trademark are brother and sister buildings. They will have the same type of demographic. Young professionals that have fun for the most part. The Trademark only has TWO elevators in the ENTIRE building. Talk about a major BONE HEAD decision by the architect.

Avenue has a concierge, 3 elevators and a service. Also, has a very nice work out facility.

If you are nervous about a default, ask your agent to request an up to date statement from the lender.

When you rent in an apartment, you are getting exactly that. An apartment.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
One thing I've learned from renting for almost 10 years. No matter when it was built, it's cheaply made.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the breakdown USC! These are things that I cannot find out by looking at pictures of the place. That's the exact demographic that I'm looking for - young professionals that are looking to just have fun. Sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. By the sounds of it, the Avenue might be the better choice of where I would like to be. When you say brother and sister buildings - are they managed by the same company?

Really appreciate all of the great feedback on this thread, it's definitely helping!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM

9 posts, read 12,618 times
Just curious, but did you check out any places in South End while you were in town? I'm also a young professional and just moved to Charlotte in July. I looked at places in Uptown and in South End and was really torn between the two. I decided on South End because of the more "neighborhood" feel - I walk to the dentist, pharmacy, salon, etc. and I don't know how much you have of that in Uptown. Plus the light rail takes you to the heart of Uptown in about 3 minutes

Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne View Post
Thanks for the breakdown USC! These are things that I cannot find out by looking at pictures of the place. That's the exact demographic that I'm looking for - young professionals that are looking to just have fun. Sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. By the sounds of it, the Avenue might be the better choice of where I would like to be. When you say brother and sister buildings - are they managed by the same company?

Really appreciate all of the great feedback on this thread, it's definitely helping!
That's why you should HIRE an agent to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: