Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:50 PM

28 posts, read 72,546 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the new school Winget Park Elementary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,548 times
I've been there and my daughter will go there next year. What do you want to know?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:06 AM

28 posts, read 72,546 times
I can't find any rankings on-line, because it is new. I want to know if it is a good school, how are the teachers, class size?? Your overall impression? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 AM

I liked it. Class sizes seemed to be good, a diverse group of kids attend there. It's located IN a park, so the setting is very nice. It's a feeder school mostly from Lake Wylie, which had pretty good test scores, etc. It's a uniform school, which was really cute to see all the little kids in their uniforms. I'm not sure if you saw this already, but they do have a school website:

Winget Park Elementary School : Winget Park Elementary

Overall, it seemed to be a good school. We got the tour -- no children unattended, children seemed to be on-task and well-behaved in the classes we visited. Nice play area. The principal came and talked with us before we had our tour -- no concerns there. I picked which part of Charlotte I'd be living in based on schools for the most part, and I was satisfied with what I saw with Winget Park. I thought she'd be going to Lake Wylie, but Winget Park was built to help with the crowding in Lake Wylie.

ETA: Boundaries for the different schools:

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/studentAssignment06-07/information/PDF/WingetPark.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by searpr; 06-09-2007 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: added another link

Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,427 times
Red face choosing a school

Me and my family are moving to charlotte this coming summer. we are choosing a school for my 10 year old and 6 year old. i looked at both of the lake wylie school and winget park school profiles and can not decide based on that. winget is new and has potential but to me is lacking in the pta department, lake wylie has more on pta and years of schooling under their belt but crowded, any thoughts from people who are actually apart of one or the other

Old 12-21-2007, 02:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times
Here's an article on the principal:

http://www.charlotte.com/someck/story/413454.html (broken link)

Lake Wylie is not so crowded since Winget Park opened. However, both will be more crowded as new folks move in to Steele Creek. A new elementary school located to the south, at the intersection of Smith and Hamilton roads, should open in fall 2009. Another will be built soon after in Palisades. Funding for both of these was in the recently approved school bond. So depending on where you move, your kids may have to switch scools as new attendance zones are drawn.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 PM

235 posts, read 730,299 times
I thought I heard that Winget was getting mobile rooms because they are overcrowded now as well. A friend of mine teaches there and I thought she said this was about to happen. Have to double check with her.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Yes, this is true. They have 3 mobiles already and just got a 4th. For some reason, they have the 2nd graders out in the "villa".

Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 PM

24 posts, read 73,305 times
Villa? I thought they were refered to as "Educational Cottages"

Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,159 times
I had 3 kids at this school. To my dismay it was poorly ran. Nothing to do with the teachers, they are great, but the people who are suppose to work with parents and committees to raise money, and help keep the school safe and running smoothly. I attended a "meeting" and all they could talk about is how much money they made....that is it. No safety chats or about what they could do to improve student safety and this was after several incidents of children bringing "weapons" to the school. The school has only been opened 2 years going on 3. I do not know about you but my kids are not experiments and since the PTA and Leader Ship team only spent 5 mins. on those major issues it apparently is not a big deal to them. Maybe if they had much stronger members in these areas and cared more about the kids than looking good then maybe they might make it in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte