Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times

Advertisements

Of course I have not done research on gastonia, so, I can't tell him what i don't know...so what do you guys have to tell me that i don't know, so that i may tell dh? This was a representive of a builder on one of his routes who build communinities of stick built homes in gastonia but are affiliated with Eastwood homes. Anyone?

I am down with Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 05:19 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
There is a poster, "friendnc", who was born and raised in Gaston County. I've seen him post that his parents still live there. You may want to PM him, or do a search on his very informative and thorough posts on the topic.

Early on Gaston County was a consideration for us but we never even made it to the area (still haven't) once I laid eyes on Union County.

Good luck!

SL

Old 04-26-2007, 05:21 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times
Thankls saralee!!! I think it is the company trying to sway him, they say they have good schools, but they don't know exactly what we need etc...

Old 04-26-2007, 05:26 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
I'm sure every builder is programmed to utter the phrase "good schools." Definitely a draw to any community, right?

But a good school is whatever the parent determines meets the needs of his children and the family overall. As you know, there is always greatschools.net to investigate beyond personal commentaries but again, friendnc seems very informed on the topic and has written extensively about schools in the area.

As far as I can recall, I've heard/read positive comments about the communities of Mount Holly, McAdenville and Belmont but mostly in regard to older homes and communities that have been long settled. I've also read that home prices in these quaint towns have soared considerably as they are very appealing.

SL

Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Thankls saralee!!! I think it is the company trying to sway him, they say they have good schools, but they don't know exactly what we need etc...
Schools in Gastonia are not as good as schools in Union county, just FYI.

I do like Gastonia's location and easy access to Charlotte. It would be a better commute into Charlotte than say Monroe would be for sure. Other areas near Gastonia are gaining in popularity, Mt. Holly and Belmont for sure.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
Yes, schools in Gaston County, generally speaking, are not great. BUT there are some zones that are very good (Belmont, SE Gastonia) and they have some excellent private schools. Plus these area aren't experienceing the out-of-control growth some of us are, which I consider a good thing.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Yes, schools in Gaston County, generally speaking, are not great. BUT there are some zones that are very good (Belmont, SE Gastonia) and they have some excellent private schools. Plus these area aren't experienceing the out-of-control growth some of us are, which I consider a good thing.
I agree that it is growing at a healthier rate than Union county for sure And yes, there are some good schools sprinkled throughout the county, it is just that overall Union county's school score higher. But the area is still worth a looK

Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM

12 posts, read 32,941 times
Post Grew up in Gaston County

Gastonia is growing but more people but not as quickly as the towns that are directly outside of charlotte. Such as Mount Holly and Belmont. Gastonia is about a 20 minute ride down I85 from Charlotte. Gastonia is still more of a industrial not service based town. Gastonia and Gaston county has primarily been textile based and to some degree still is. I grew up in Gaston County but I have always worked in Charlotte. If you are interested in building a home Gaston County is the place to do it. Charlotte has become overrun with cookie-cutter subdivisions and land is at a premium. Most people that I grew up with that still live in Gaston County have custom built their homes and have a good bit of land acreage.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
To me, Gaston county is much more like "small town living" versus Union county which is much more like "suburban living"; and to me there's a big difference. However, I do think strongly that Gaston county is the next "Great Frontier" in the metro area. As Union, Cabarrus, Irredell and York counties become more crowded, I could easily see Gaston county one day becoming the next boom county. So it might be a good investment to get in a good place there early. With all that said, I would also echo what some have said regarding Mount Holly and Belmont. I might recommend looking in one of those areas if you're considering Gaston county. I looked at a community in Belmont and even though it wasn't for me, the location was outstanding (given its proximity to Charlotte).

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 04-26-2007 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I agree that it is growing at a healthier rate than Union county for sure And yes, there are some good schools sprinkled throughout the county, it is just that overall Union county's school score higher. But the area is still worth a looK
Oh no, don't take me wrong. I was just saying many counties in the Charlotte area (not just Union, but including my county of Cabarrus as well) is growing way too fast and I'd personally prefer Gaston's population growth rate any day. Though I like a lot about Cabarrus County, if it wasn't for my wife's job here in Concord, we'd be back in Belmont in a heartbeat. It's got the best of both worlds IMO. And clearly Union's overall school system's better than Gaston's overall system. I was just mentioning some of the contrasts, not "knocking" Union. 'Hope I didn't give that impression!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte