Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 51,719 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am posting this because my wife and I are considering a move to Charlotte and I have come to appreciate the honest answers of the City-data community.

Long story short, we live in Northern NJ and while I like it hear my wife does not. More to the point we are both fed up with the high cost of living in this area. That being said, my in-laws moved to Hilton Head a few years back, and that sparked the "we can do better if we move" idea. Hilton Head while a nice area, does not seem to be an area for early 30 something like my wife and I with a 2 year old kid. Lack of jobs and a really messed up school system are not what we are looking for.

This past week we visited both Raleigh and Charlotte areas for a few days. We did not like Raleigh AT ALL, its school system seems to be very much in a state of flux and the full day school calendar was a MAJOR turn off. Plus besides going to work there did not seem to be much to do. On the flip side we LOVED the Charlotte area, in particular the Cornelius, Birkdale village area. We also looked closer to Mountain Lions lake. We loved Lake Norman (Midtown Sundries was alot of fun), and I am a car guy so the NASCAR aspect of the area was also very appealing. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to check out southern Charlotte.

SO hear are my questions.

We have to sell our house and find jobs before we move, my wife is in Banking and I am in Field sales.. Does any one have any ideas on how the job market is for these jobs??

How are the schools really??

I know traffic is bad during the rush hours, but coming out of NYC I am used to that, how is the public transportation system??

My wife and I are Jewish, and while I am not concerned about us I am concerned about my daughter being the only Jew in School/class. I know Charlotte has a Jewish population, but does this extend out to the lakes?

There still seems to be a good deal of Commercial development going on, but I saw allot of empty stores. Any idea what that is all about?

I got the rah-rah Charlotte is great speech from the realtor, im looking for what’s wrong with this area information.

Thanks guys, and if any one wants to relocate to northern NJ i have a great house for sale
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRagtop View Post
Hey guys, I am posting this because my wife and I are considering a move to Charlotte and I have come to appreciate the honest answers of the City-data community.

Long story short, we live in Northern NJ and while I like it hear my wife does not. More to the point we are both fed up with the high cost of living in this area. That being said, my in-laws moved to Hilton Head a few years back, and that sparked the "we can do better if we move" idea. Hilton Head while a nice area, does not seem to be an area for early 30 something like my wife and I with a 2 year old kid. Lack of jobs and a really messed up school system are not what we are looking for.

This past week we visited both Raleigh and Charlotte areas for a few days. We did not like Raleigh AT ALL, its school system seems to be very much in a state of flux and the full day school calendar was a MAJOR turn off. Plus besides going to work there did not seem to be much to do. On the flip side we LOVED the Charlotte area, in particular the Cornelius, Birkdale village area. We also looked closer to Mountain Lions lake. We loved Lake Norman (Midtown Sundries was alot of fun), and I am a car guy so the NASCAR aspect of the area was also very appealing. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to check out southern Charlotte.

We have to sell our house and find jobs before we move, my wife is in Banking and I am in Field sales.. Does any one have any ideas on how the job market is for these jobs??

I know traffic is bad during the rush hours, but coming out of NYC I am used to that, how is the public transportation system??

My wife and I are Jewish, and while I am not concerned about us I am concerned about my daughter being the only Jew in School/class. I know Charlotte has a Jewish population, but does this extend out to the lakes?

There still seems to be a good deal of Commercial development going on, but I saw allot of empty stores. Any idea what that is all about?

I got the rah-rah Charlotte is great speech from the realtor, im looking for what’s wrong with this area information.

Thanks guys, and if any one wants to relocate to northern NJ i have a great house for sale
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Smiling...Mountain Lions Lake

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRagtop View Post

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Welcome to the Charlotte forum GS

Charlotte is a great place to live and raise a family for the vast majority of us. No one place is perfect, but it sounds like you understand that.

To answer your questions...you're biggest obstacles to having what you want are selling your home there and finding jobs here. Both are grim prospects right now. You may have better luck than her finding a job, though you won't know for sure until you start applying places. My advice to you, get your house on the market as soon as possible - move into a rental afterwards while you work on getting jobs here. It could take as long as a year to get your foot in the door somewhere here in Charlotte, but you want to have the flexability of being able to leave NJ as soon as that job oppportunity comes along.

The recession is taking its toll on Charlotte just live the rest of the country, we are seeing places going out of business that we never thought we'd see go. However, we are hardly in danger of becoming a Detroit. Just know, our unemployment rate is VERY high, higher than most other cities our size in this whole country. This is due to the fact that we have a very educated work force and people keep flocking here making competition for all existing jobs very stiff.

Cornelius and Huntersville are very nice places to live. They are a bit overcrowded now for my tastes, but many transplants find it just right for themselves. Schools in the area are good. I would also highly recommend you check out Davidson, a great little town with an award winning highly ranked elementary school. If I had my choice of any other place to live in Charlotte (other than south Charlotte where I live now) it would be Davidson.

There is also a Jewish community up on that end of the county, though not as large as the one in south Charlotte.
Beth Shalom of Lake Norman Home (http://www.bslkn.org/ - broken link)

Oh, and that's "Mountain ISLAND Lake"

Old 07-13-2009, 12:10 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Well, the problem will be with finding jobs in your fields. However, you said you have to sell your house b/f you move anywhere, so that may not happen overnite.

It would depend what area of banking your wife is in as to what her chances are . . . we have had massive layoffs in banking. As far as field sales - that covers such a wide range - so maybe that would be a possibility.

In any case, the job situation here is tenuous, at best, depending on what skills you have.

Start researching companies wh/ may need someone w/ your background. Just realize that if your house should sell quickly and you decide to move on down here w/o jobs . . . you will need a nice cushion of $$$ to live off for a while.

I have no doubt you would find a nice neighborhood w/ good schools here - and Charlotte really is a good place to raise a family.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,499,605 times
Where in North Jersey are you coming from? DH and I grew up in Morris County - by the mall. LOL

Ani and loves give great advice; I highly doubt they'd ever steer you wrong. It's okay if others disagree with their opinions at times, but they are two posters on the Charlotte board who can be counted on for their honesty.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Where in North Jersey are you coming from? DH and I grew up in Morris County - by the mall. LOL

Ani and loves give great advice; I highly doubt they'd ever steer you wrong. It's okay if others disagree with their opinions at times, but they are two posters on the Charlotte board who can be counted on for their honesty.

I live in Pompton Lakes, Near Wayne.. Thanks to all for the in-sight so far.. The Job market seems to be worse then I originally thought from what every one is saying.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM

248 posts, read 722,529 times
OK.. I lived in Northern NJ.. near Rutherfod.. I lived in NYC too.. I lived in DC too.. Traffic Traffic Traffic..
In charlotte.. I drive 6.5 miles to work.. I temporarily lived in Fortmill, SC about 15 or so miles to work.. Traffic is NOTHING compared to North East.. You'll be pleased..

What I find in south Charlotte is that there are less of highways.. you end up taking local roads everywhere.. the delay is more due to lights/stop signs.. in NJ.. you have a highway to go everywhere.. 78, 46, 280, 80, 287, 278.. so many.. here theres just 2 major 77 and 85 and you can manage with that..

Public Transport is very good. White collar folks take the bus too here.. Not like in nyc/nj areas.. Lynx Rail is pretty good too.. I was surprised when I took the bus one day that the bus takes the same time as my drive to work.. so cool.. I can actually use the bus.. but living in NJ/VA/DC has spoilt me.. I need to drive.. and cant wait for the bus..

1 Thing.. Tone yourself down.. Coz life is eazy here.. more laid back.. slow-down.. you dont have to cut someone on the road to get ahead.. actually someone will give u way eazily and you should learn to do the same..

Housing is definitely cheaper.. again it may depend on exactly where you choose to live.. but you can find good school areas for a less than half or more for what you pay in NY/NJ area..

Jobs.. I dont know about sales.. but I am with Banking and Financial.. been with the same in NY/NJ/DC.. and Bank of America is hiring quiet a bit for the Merril Lynch Merger projects..

Goodluck

Old 07-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetruckguy View Post
you dont have to cut someone on the road to get ahead.. actually someone will give u way eazily and you should learn to do the same..

Ok on this point, I have to tell you that I have never been tailgated so bad as when driving on 77. Maybe it was just me, but I was doing 65-70 in the middle lane and people were on my bumper almost 100% of the time. Is that normal?? My Father in law who lives in SC likes to say "North Carolina, first in flight...Last to drive".. Any truth to this ??

Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 PM

873 posts, read 1,805,705 times
In my experience, NC has much better drivers than what I've experienced from NJ drivers anywhere in the country. Down in FL, which is like a southern suburb of NJ, I was amazed at the poor driving exhibited by those with NJ tags! Just my opinion.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM

152 posts, read 308,459 times
Good luck with your move GS! I am from Wayne and my boyfriend from Staten Island. We were planning to move in Feb when he received a job offer in Charlotte.(he is in finance...enough said). He has been out of work for over a year and thank GOD we saved for our rainy days! Needless to say we are still making the move down because we still pay close to 2k for rent and our cost of living will be cut in half...(my parents pay 16k a yr for real estate taxes...they still live in Wayne you will NOT miss that )....where you live will also depend on where you will be working...Charlotte is like NYC and each part is like a borough...we loved Lake norman but it was not so convenient to his job...Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte