Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times

Advertisements

Let's take a pizza or BBQ break.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Sorry, but I think there are several obvious problems here
1. Illogical arguments and lack of evidence to back facts up
2. Some folks that don't have much understanding of evidence based medicine/ medicine per se
3. Lack of understanding regarding problems with screening for screenings sake

I have experienced the NHS as an employee for 26 years and as a patient on numerous occasions
Whilst it has it's good points, it is a failing system in which too often care is compromised by inadequate resources, lack of proactive intervention and poor management.
I have not worked in the US or been a patient there, but from what I read and learn from people who have, there are good points and bad points.

The main differences between the 2 systems would appear to be availability/access
the standard of the facilities,
staffing levels and pay.
How the systems are funded

BUT-they are both financially driven systems.

The NHS tries to keep costs down by "minimising" certain aspects of care as it's publically fuinded, where as in the US there seems to be an attempt to drive costs up.
So is it the Doctors , the hospitals, the drug companies or the insurance companies driving it? I would say all of them.

Overall the biggest difference I see is the absence of greed in the UK system.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:03 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Sorry, but I think there are several obvious problems here
1. Illogical arguments and lack of evidence to back facts up
2. Some folks that don't have much understanding of evidence based medicine/ medicine per se
3. Lack of understanding regarding problems with screening for screenings sake

I have experienced the NHS as an employee for 26 years and as a patient on numerous occasions
Whilst it has it's good points, it is a failing system in which too often care is compromised by inadequate resources, lack of proactive intervention and poor management.
I have not worked in the US or been a patient there, but from what I read and learn from people who have, there are good points and bad points.

The main differences between the 2 systems would appear to be availability/access
the standard of the facilities,
staffing levels and pay.
How the systems are funded

BUT-they are both financially driven systems.

The NHS tries to keep costs down by "minimising" certain aspects of care as it's publically fuinded, where as in the US there seems to be an attempt to drive costs up.
So is it the Doctors , the hospitals, the drug companies or the insurance companies driving it? I would say all of them.

Overall the biggest difference I see is the absence of greed in the UK system.
Bravo Susan! Excellent comparison, although I don't know about the last sentence. I may have to privately poll my UK friends for this.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
I don't know why this always boils down to the US system vs the British system. There are other countries with national health systems.

The Germans have a wonderful system. I know of a US serviceman who broke his neck while stationed in Germany. The family was contacted by the military doctor & he was placed in a German hospital. After the discharge, his family took him to several top US hospitals & they were told at each one that the treatment that he had received was better than he would have received in this country.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:42 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
WOW! I have been in the bed all week and just checked my post - had no idea this was going to turn into a US vs. UK healthcare debate!

Thanks so much Ani! You answered my question and I appreciate it so much!!! I will do what you suggested!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times
Read an article today - Commentary: Open your minds, America - CNN.com - that might be good for all of us (myself included) to meditate on. Or maybe it reads too "Pollyanna-ish"?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
WOW! I have been in the bed all week and just checked my post - had no idea this was going to turn into a US vs. UK healthcare debate!

Thanks so much Ani! You answered my question and I appreciate it so much!!! I will do what you suggested!
You are very welcome - and if you think about it later - would you let me know if you were successful? It always helps to hear some feedback (feel free to DM me if this thread is not active by then).

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Read an article today - Commentary: Open your minds, America - CNN.com - that might be good for all of us (myself included) to meditate on. Or maybe it reads too "Pollyanna-ish"?
How come Obama and the democrats want to jam a bill through congress when they haven't even read either the house and senate version?

Why can't the public get a chance to understand and debate what's in any of these bills before they get voted on?

Don't call me 'close minded' for wanting to know more details on probably the biggest piece of legislation to come through congress in years...

What are people who are writing these bills afraid of?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
They are afraid of people just like you and me.
People who want to know how these bills are voted on with no one reading them.
People becoming more and more skeptical of their UNrepresentatives in Washington.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
How come Obama and the democrats want to jam a bill through congress when they haven't even read either the house and senate version?....
There are no bills. There is no health care legislation. There are proposal(s) in committee in both bodies of congress. The House version has not even gotten a reading on the full floor nor has it been voted on by the full House. There is even less in the Senate where the proposal is going nowhere. They are light years away from having a reconciled piece of legislation that anyone could read let alone hand to the President to sign.

So the reason there isn't anything to read is because nothing exists. If the democrats wanted to jam something through congress they can do it without debate. They have 100% control of congress. It's easy enough to go to the Senate, House and Presidential websites and look at the current activities. It is facinating that so many that have so much to say have not done this. Where I do fault the democrats is they are not as well versed in this as the GOPers. They should have named it something like the Patriot Health Care, or Freedom of America Healthcare like the Republicans did when they ran things to push through ridiculous legislation. i.e. Vote against it and you are not American.

What we do have are a bunch of irresponsible media from one end of the spectrum to the other, that is fighting over this because it means "ratings". What I do wish would happen is for people to be this engaged during the "elections". They don't do this so they get the politicians they deserve.

Last edited by lumbollo; 09-04-2009 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte