Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:12 PM

905 posts, read 3,457,222 times

Advertisements

So I enlisted a realtor who sold a house for me in '01 to sell another house. It has been on the market since July 4th.

My dilemma is, several promises by the Realtor have been made and not kept. Last Sunday the neighborhood where my house is had a huge Open House Sunday, over 80 homes were open. I was told by my realtor that at least 25 people went through the house. Today I was there doing yard work and polled a couple neighbors about the traffic last week. They said they saw some people. When I quoted my realtor about the 25 he said had been through, they said basically "no way". There was one other open house about a month ago and I was told about 20 went through and another neighbor had doubts about that number too.

I know the house has been showing, I get a call every time a realtor makes an appointment to show the house. The centralized booking agency told me the house has shown 16 times in 3 months. Plus the realtor says that when he knows a realtor personally the agent ususally just calls them directly to see if it is OK to show the house.

There was another instance about 6 weeks ago when he said "all realtors lie", That immediately threw up a red flag for me, and with the recent revelations, I am starting to think at least he does!

What to do? I "really" need to sell my house. It has been tough the last 3 months making 2 mortgage payments. Due to the nature of my business I am about to enter my slow season so it will not get any better. Should I stick with him or find another realtor? After writing this I think the answer is obvious but I am reluctant to start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,635,411 times
What do you think the realtor is doing wrong? Other than the fact that your house is taking time to sell, what do you think the realtor should be doing that they are not doing?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:23 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,578,937 times
I don't know if your realtor is lying. You said the neighbors said fewer people had gone thru your home at the open houses? How do you know they saw every person that went thru?

If you don't trust your agent, withdraw the listing.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:46 PM

905 posts, read 3,457,222 times
Baybrook: I think the realtor is lying. Without going into details, there have been many promises made and not kept. Other than that there have been several open houses and a realtor luncheon. I have been told that there have been at least 2 email "blitzes". I am not sure what else he can do. I guess my issue is trustworthyness.

Charlotteborn: One neighbor(55 yrs old) is a lifelong resident of the neighborhood and the "Gladys Kravitz's" of the street, she is pretty reliable. The other person I spoke with lives like 15' from my house. I asked her "Would you be shocked to know he said 25 people went through?" She yes. Even if they did not see every person, it appears to be a big exaggeration. So you might be right on the trust issue.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,007,669 times
I echo the PP, if you do not trust him you need to look else where. Then again if he has done nothing to earn your distrust then you need to ask yourself if you are being fair to him. If he has not done anything wrong then you will have the same problem with the next agent.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,221,192 times
I'm still not sure what the realtor is doing wrong, but if you don't trust him/her then have a discussion with them on your concerns. IMO, open houses don't sell homes, they give agents leads, so this shouldn't be a concern.

The bottom line is if the house hasn't sold in 3 months then really the only problem is that it is price too high for the market, especially if there have been no offers out of 16 showings.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Baybrook: I think the realtor is lying. Without going into details, there have been many promises made and not kept. Other than that there have been several open houses and a realtor luncheon. I have been told that there have been at least 2 email "blitzes". I am not sure what else he can do. I guess my issue is trustworthyness.

Charlotteborn: One neighbor(55 yrs old) is a lifelong resident of the neighborhood and the "Gladys Kravitz's" of the street, she is pretty reliable. The other person I spoke with lives like 15' from my house. I asked her "Would you be shocked to know he said 25 people went through?" She yes. Even if they did not see every person, it appears to be a big exaggeration. So you might be right on the trust issue.
If you think the realtor is lying then you should go elsewhere. I do have to say, it is hard to really give you an opinion when one doesn't have all the details. ie:

Lying about what? Deliberately lying about the number of people that came to a community open house? That's not really ina realtors control

-vs-

Lying about getting an offer or misrepresenting your home in some way.

Lying and saying they did send an email blitz vs not sending one?

Lying about pricing or recent sales.

I would think that if you haven't had a decent offer in 3 months that prehaps your house is overpriced for this time of the year and this market.

Not sure if you are being reasonable or not, but based on the very limited info you are providing...

Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM

870 posts, read 3,531,029 times
The realtor doesn't make anything if the house doesn't sell so what incentive do they have to "lie". Houses in this market are taking longer to sell. Lower your price and take a hit to get rid of it.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:08 PM

10 posts, read 29,076 times
Default two words . . .

YOU'RE FIRED!

Lying is not acceptable and he/she started lying the moment they told you an open house was a good idea. Open Houses are good for the REALTOR, not the SELLER. (and if he/she doesn't know this they don't know what they're doing anyway)

Based on what you said you think your Realtor is lying and untrustworthy. What is going to happen during negotiations? Is he/she going to slip out things about your situation, motivation, what you will accept? And don't for a second think that just because they aren't suppose to doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time . . . it does. . l know first hand.

Lastly, remember one thing. Price Sells!

Good Luck

Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Except sellers like to feel like their agent is doing something. Open houses are good for realtors, but they also make the seller feel good. If the agent didn't have one or include the house in the community open house the seller would complain that their lazy agent didn't even participate in the blankety blank open house!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooga View Post
YOU'RE FIRED!

Lying is not acceptable and he/she started lying the moment they told you an open house was a good idea. Open Houses are good for the REALTOR, not the SELLER. (and if he/she doesn't know this they don't know what they're doing anyway)

Based on what you said you think your Realtor is lying and untrustworthy. What is going to happen during negotiations? Is he/she going to slip out things about your situation, motivation, what you will accept? And don't for a second think that just because they aren't suppose to doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time . . . it does. . l know first hand.

Lastly, remember one thing. Price Sells!

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte