Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

And you are posting bragging about that?

The retailer is who you are hurting, the big oil company got their money from the retailer, just like if you stole a candy bar inside, it hurts only the retailer.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 AM

231 posts, read 576,531 times
Now that you know you didn't pay for something that you got, it would be considered stealing at this point. In all other circumstances, stealing gasoline is quite an offense with big fines. Although you found out after the fact, it's still the same concept. I thought I accidentally stole $3 in food from Bojangles one time and immediately called them when I got home to make sure they swiped my card. I was freaking out thinking I might have driven away from the drive thru w/ free food. I can't imagine letting a total of $125 go like that? Just being honest.

Also, after you work in retail for a long time and see how stealing affects companies, you think totally differently about things that are even mistakes in your favor...

Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
You left out the part about how after you noticed the oversight you went back with your Hummer and filled the 45 gallon tank, then returned with your motorhome and filled the 125 gallon tank... gosh, what a tool!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Got me some free gas
maybe you should use the extra cash for some grammar lessons and an ethics course...

Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
but because the receipt didn't print I went in to ask the clerk to be sure.
The receipt doesn't print half the time I pump gas. I always just assume the thing is outta paper. Sometimes the digital readout even flashes "see clerk", but I always just assume it's to get a receipt since the machine didn't print one, and I NEVER go in to see the clerk (I just rememeber the purchase price til I get home to record it). Never not had a gas purchase not show up on my statement, tho. I never thought about equating a receipt not printing to the card reader not reading the card...

Last edited by jdljr; 10-10-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 AM

403 posts, read 877,870 times
I feel that a lot of people think that "doing unto others" means one thing to them, when it really means another. They will say....."Do unto others as they do to you"......this is completely wrong. The way that I know this wording is....."Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you". Meaning in the opening example....you wouldn't want it done to you. As others have said....."DO THE RIGHT THING" What you have "left undone" is totally "not" the right thing to do.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
The receipt doesn't print half the time I pump gas. I always just assume the thing is outta paper. Sometimes the digital readout even flashes "see clerk", but I always just assume it's to get a receipt since the machine didn't print one. Never not had a gas purchase not show up on my statement, tho. I never thought about equating a receipt not printing to the card reader not reading the card...
Boy, and nothing hacks me off more than using the convenience of "Pay at the Pump", and then having to go in for a receipt, because someone couldnt be bothered to change the paper.

In regard to the OP, personally, I couldnt live with the guilt I felt over having stolen $125 from someone. I too am one of those people who will argue with cashiers about an item's price, if I feel there has been a mistake- regardless of fault. Seems one of society's greatest ills today, is everyone wants something for nothing. You've done a great job of reinforcing that! I sincerely hope that if you have kids that you raise them to be a better person than you are.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
I just increased the reputations of everyone who told the OP to do the right thing.

To the OP: you think that because you don't set the price of oil that entitles you to steal gas? That is the most ridiculous rationalization I have ever heard.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
maybe you should use the extra cash for some grammar lessons and an ethics course...
Maybe you need to MYOB.. Let me ask the others JUST how do I know how much to pay them back ? I NEVER get receipts and depend on the store to send me the bill..They didnt.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I just increased the reputations of everyone who told the OP to do the right thing.

To the OP: you think that because you don't set the price of oil that entitles you to steal gas? That is the most ridiculous rationalization I have ever heard.
I didnt steal anything, I have no idea how they made the error and if you think I would just go give them a blank check you are crazy.When we had gas lines I waited in line a long time at this station to give them my business. They should have had someone out there to help traffic so everyone could go in a fair order THEY DIDNT. Because of this I wasted extra time and my time is money so guess what,Im callin it even LOL You people make me wish I would have gone back thinking it was free and really got alot of free gas. I didnt ,I did business like always but I did go and fill up my boat 2 times but that doesnt count....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: