Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Link to the Fed Gov requirements to continue construction?
Actually, here’s a very recent link below that shows the Fed Government does support CATS current light rail efforts.

Link to recent 2009 appropriation: HAGAN, BURR SECURE $24M FOR EXPANSION OF CHARLOTTE LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM | Kay Hagan | U.S. Senator for North Carolina

This shows lumbollo’s creditability is zero. Everything that person writes is pure conjecture. Nothing to back it up what so ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 AM

571 posts, read 714,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
2. It reduces air pollution. OK this sounds possibly reasonable. Where are the measurements and studies that prove this. Of course they don't exist because CATS doesn't want to be held to quantifiable results.
3. It reduces traffic congestion. Same argument as #2.

So it is based on this that I have said that it has had no effect on Charlotte.
I haven't been around here much lately, so I don't know who you are. Some of your comments make interesting points, but others, like the ones quoted above, make you seem . . . well, rather trollish. This light rail line is what, 8 miles long, in a city that sprawls 20 miles or more in every direction? What measurable impact do you expect to see at this infant stage in the development of this system? The vast majority of people in Charlotte do not have the option to use LYNX regularly because they aren't anywhere near that route. But when the system moves beyond its infancy and coverage is greatly expanded, this will change. I don't think this is rocket science. And it seems rather obvious, which brings me back to why your comments seem trollish. I live in DC where the system is very well developed. Most people do use Metrorail and wouldn't have it any other way. And I, personally, refuse to live in a place where I can't walk to a metro station. And I'm not unusual in that regard. If Charlotte wants to grow and compete with other cities, it has to offer alternatives to attract all kinds of people with all kinds of commuting needs and desires.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
..... but that did not effect the huge success of our Lynx line, and hopefully won't there either.
Except you can't define success either and you haven't contested one thing that I have posted in this topic. If it is your opinion the like is "huge success" I am fine with that given that we all understand that it isn't based on any quantifiable result.

I've stated my reasons, you and others similar to you haven't, as usual, so you are left with trying to make it about me yet again.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I haven't been around here much lately, so I don't know who you are. Some of your comments make interesting points, but others, like the ones quoted above, make you seem . . . well, rather trollish. This light rail line is what, 8 miles long, in a city that sprawls 20 miles or more in every direction? What measurable impact do you expect to see at this infant stage in the development of this system? The vast majority of people in Charlotte do not have the option to use LYNX regularly because they aren't anywhere near that route. But when the system moves beyond its infancy and coverage is greatly expanded, this will change. I don't think this is rocket science. And it seems rather obvious, which brings me back to why your comments seem trollish. I live in DC where the system is very well developed. Most people do use Metrorail and wouldn't have it any other way. And I, personally, refuse to live in a place where I can't walk to a metro station. And I'm not unusual in that regard. If Charlotte wants to grow and compete with other cities, it has to offer alternatives to attract all kinds of people with all kinds of commuting needs and desires.
These are the facts. The line is 10 miles long and is carrying ~14,000/day in a metro area of ~1.6M people. When the LRT portion, as currently defined is fully built out, we are talking about ~30 miles of rail and it will have a daily ridership of somewhere around ~50K - ~60K/day 21 years from now. This is assuming the SE portion is built as LRT which isn't in the plan at the moment.

To put this number into perspective ~60K/day compares to 300K/day on Marta in Atlanta today. So the system we are talking about isn't going to make much of a dent in Charlotte tomorrow, or 21 years from now. And that assumes they manage to build two more LRT lines on time which isn't going to happen as CATS has already added 5 more years delay to getting any of it done.

This is the reality of what "greatly expanded" means. It isn't going to make much difference. Not now, not anytime in the forseeable future.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Actually, here’s a very recent link below that shows the Fed Government does support CATS current light rail efforts.

Link to recent 2009 appropriation: HAGAN, BURR SECURE $24M FOR EXPANSION OF CHARLOTTE LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM | Kay Hagan | U.S. Senator for North Carolina....
This appears to be about facts, not about you as a person. Facts that run opposite to what you stated in earlier posts. No?

If this article is to be believed, it would appear that quantifying any sort of measurable goals/milestones are not preventing the light rail from receiving future funding...

From the blurb that Carolina Blue linked: "The project will extend the LYNX Blue Line from the downtown 7th street station to a terminal at I-485 and North Tryon Street, directly serving more than 20,000 students at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The line will include 13 stations, seven of which will be "park and ride" facilities. Construction is scheduled to be completed by 2015." 2015 sounds like 6 years from now, not 20. Perhaps this isn't the entirety of the projected expansion?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Link to the Fed Gov requirements to continue construction?
You can find out all you need here. CATS funded the current LYNX project with a Full Funding Grant Agreement from the FTA New Starts program. The plan will be to continue this approach for at least 50% of all remaining construction costs via this program. They assume that an additional 25% will also be provided by the NCDOT which is what happened on the current LYNX line. i.e. FTA = 50%, NCDOT 25%, Transit Tax =25%

The NCDOT won't provide any funding until CATS gets a FFGA for the follow on projects. Getting a FFGA however, does not mean the NCDOT will provide the money and they have made no promises to CATS for future funding. Given the state shortfalls, it seems unlikely the NC Legislature would vote to provide money. In any case it's a moot point at the moment as CATS is not currently in line to be considered for New Starts money.

Recently CATS was talking about increasing the FTA amount to 80%.

Federal Transit Administration - New Starts Project Planning & Development

Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Huh? Now you talking about NCDOT not paying?!?!?!?! Your previous posts were all about how the Fed wasn't going to ante up any cash without these "measurable goals" being met. The last I checked, NCDOT was not a Fed agency. I can't follow you, mate. Perhaps that's by design, perhaps not.

However, the facts that I've gotten from thread are that the Fed has committed to giving the project another $24M. The "north line" near UC is scheduled to be completed by 2015.

I don't see you providing facts. I see you providing opinion/predictions.

Last edited by hooligan; 10-20-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Except you can't define success either and you haven't contested one thing that I have posted in this topic. If it is your opinion the like is "huge success" I am fine with that given that we all understand that it isn't based on any quantifiable result.

I've stated my reasons, you and others similar to you haven't, as usual, so you are left with trying to make it about me yet again.
Funny how that happens on so many threads you are on

We aren't making it "about you" - YOU are the one doing that. Here's a tip, don't insult others and they won't be so likely to insult you

Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Huh? Now you talking about NCDOT not paying?!?!?!?! Your previous posts were all about how the Fed wasn't going to ante up any cash without these "measurable goals" being met. The last I checked, NCDOT was not a Fed agency. I can't follow you, mate. Perhaps that's by design, perhaps not. .....
I was asked, who decides what is better? The easy answer to that are the people who will be paying to build it. So......

ALL CATS plans for future construction assume the NCDOT pays 25% of the construction and the FTA pays 50%. This money, if it is even provided at all, is contingent on CATS receiving a FFGA from the FTA, as noted above. I've answered all your questions.

If there is something specific you don't understand I will be glad to answer it, but this is what is needed in order for the future lines to be built and the FTA has pretty clear objectives in regards to quantifiable results for this to happen. A daily ridership of 14,000 that is declining BTW, isn't the answer to their criteria.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM

If it doesn't meet the criteria, why has the Fed Gov already committed to paying another $24M?

You haven't answered my questions at all, and the post you quoted had nothing to do with "who decides what is better". So far all you've really said is (and I'm paraphrasing here) "no way will the Fed give CATS more money for the light rail without it meeting these goals, and it doesn't". Then Carolina Blue posts a link that states the Fed has done exactly that and you say "even if the Fed does pay, I don't think NCDOT will pay".

These are not facts, these are your opinions/suppositions, which may or may not be true or accurate eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte