Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times

Advertisements

nchiker, considering what you said, I would probably stick with the Old Hickory House (sadly the un-related Hickory House is closed) and Brodricks BBQ that I posted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
Default Farmers BBQ - Mallard Creek Church

By far, the newest and best BBQ in Charlotte. Great food, service and, best of all, reasonable prices.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:01 AM

36 posts, read 91,562 times
EB's Home Page
This is in Indian Trail. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiker View Post
[b]Actually, I'm not necessarily looking for Eastern style. I'm very familiar with the styles of NC barbecue. I'm mainly looking for places around Charlotte that serve more traditional nc barbecue so that a drive out of town would not be necessary.

I've cooked boston butts on my smoker and made my own sauce (Lexington, Eastern, and mustard -- I don't like the thicker, sweeter, ketchup-based sauce), but just wanted to see what the restaurant options are around were.
The BBQ style here isn't more traditional than other styles of NC BBQ. It's just more common in this area.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM

47 posts, read 106,970 times
The BBQ style here isn't more traditional than other styles of NC BBQ. It's just more common in this area.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I'm not looking for a style that is more traditional than other NC styles.

I'm looking for places around Charlotte that serve traditional NC barbecue. Many of places around here serve barbecue that is more like Texas, Memphis, and Kansas City than the styles that are typical to NC. The sweet, sauce-laden BBQ that is so popular in places may taste good, but it's not from NC.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 27,047 times
I tried Farmer's the other day and was pleased with their BBQ. I got a pulled pork plate for $7.99 and it came with a piece of cornbread and two sides; I chose Brunswick Stew and slaw. The Brunswick Stew's base was a bit "tomato-ey" and the cornbread was a little sweet. However, the most important thing (the BBQ) was cooked perfectly and had a rich, smoky flavor. They piled the BBQ in my container (enough for 3 medium-sized sandwiches). The only drawback to the whole experience was the customer service. It took way too long to get the food to us even though everything was already prepared.

In the end, I'd say it's definitely worth a try as there aren't that many places in University City that have BBQ now. I'm going to try to go sometime this week and catch the lunch specials they have and see how the portions are with the lower prices.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiker View Post

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I'm not looking for a style that is more traditional than other NC styles.

I'm looking for places around Charlotte that serve traditional NC barbecue. Many of places around here serve barbecue that is more like Texas, Memphis, and Kansas City than the styles that are typical to NC. The sweet, sauce-laden BBQ that is so popular in places may taste good, but it's not from NC.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but the places named in this thread serve traditional BBQ. Places like Sonny's do not.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
BBQ style is pretty polarizing within the Carolinas, that's why I mentioned it. I prefer Eastern style, so if I went somewhere and got Lexington style, I'd be somewhat disappointed. If I got Western style, I'd be grossed out.

If I'm not eating Eastern Style, I prefer SC mustard based.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
What sets N.C. BBQ aside is the fact that it is vinegar and pepper based. Carolina must be slowly cooked over a wood fire (never use mosquite). Pork is always used and either the whole pig or Boston butts may be used. One interesting thing is that when refering to N.C. BBQ, eastern BBQ is refering to the beach area of the state and western BBQ is refering to the piedmont (Charlotte, Lexington, Winston Salem, Hickory, etc). Also, BBQ is the product that comes out of the cooker, not the act of actually grilling. North Carolina is not the only state that has the same definition for BBQ.

The only BBQ that I wish to eat is Carolina BBQ. I can't remember having any descent BBQ in a Charlotte restaurant though. Isn't that weird? The best I have ever had has been on the way to the beach. They were in places like Wadesboro, Hartsville, etc. As a matter of fact, the best BBQ that I have in the Charlotte area were public BBQs held at local churches.

It isn't that BBQ from other places isn't good, it is just that I like the vinegar base. As far as ribs, I think that both Memphis and Kansas City make the best. God bless BBQ and all the fat bellies and heart attacks to which it has contributed. Moderation my friends, moderation.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but the places named in this thread serve traditional BBQ. Places like Sonny's do not.
Actually Sonny's could be considered traditional Gainesville (FL) BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte