Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^^yeah, it is Jewel/Osco. Unfortunately, like you already know, do not have an Ingles here, don't go to Food Lion, still scared over that scandal they had a few years ago...so, I am stuck with Walmart/Sams/Aldi.

Dominicks (Safeway) was OK with their prices; it was the sale stuff there. Buteras was comparable to here.

I guess that it was the meat, especially, that I was so impressed with the prices. And, the fruits/veggies (fresh ones) but, at the mom-and-pop markets, like the local Italian grocery store... my friend told me that the meat prices were even cheaper at a local butcher shop that I never got the time to get to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
speaking of Aldi (a German company), I bet many don't know that they own Trader Joe's.....I just found this out and was suprised to hear this...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
The cost of living is higher here than in NJ. No matter how many stores you goto for food (i goto 3 sometimes in a week to get the best deals), it is still more expensive here.

However property taxes in NJ were through the roof (I paid roughly 8K/year which was pretty cheap..LOL) and real estate was expensive. So, for many transplants from my area, they took the higher daily costs because of the cheaper property taxes and RE.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Here, you can pay $60.00 for a CATS pass, but, the only place you can get to (from N Charlotte) is downtown.
The buses, while certainly not efficient, take you lots of places all over the city. The Lynx line is efficient, and leads to several other bus lines.

I wouldn't use our transit system as a selling point - though it sure as h**l beats lots of cities - but to say you can get only downtown is not true. You can ride all over the city all month for $60.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^yeah, it is Jewel/Osco. Unfortunately, like you already know, do not have an Ingles here, don't go to Food Lion, still scared over that scandal they had a few years ago...so, I am stuck with Walmart/Sams/Aldi.

Dominicks (Safeway) was OK with their prices; it was the sale stuff there. Buteras was comparable to here.

I guess that it was the meat, especially, that I was so impressed with the prices. And, the fruits/veggies (fresh ones) but, at the mom-and-pop markets, like the local Italian grocery store... my friend told me that the meat prices were even cheaper at a local butcher shop that I never got the time to get to.
When we moved from Michigan to South Jersey I recall my mother being amazed by the overall drop in food prices while the meat prices rose.

I won't shop in these Food Lions based on what I saw last winter. dirty stores & rotten produce. . .then there were the rude employees, although admittedly they were equally rude to everyone, natives & transplants alike.

A native told me recently of a stop at one of the local Food Lions. The employees are now required to run up to any potential customer & yell "Welcome to Food Lion!" This person was nearly scared to death by it & then decided that any store with that few customers, probably isn't a very good place to shop. Chalk up another customer for Ingles.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:00 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:

Just letting people know that, although Charlotte has many other redeeming qualities...the one that comes to mind is the weather....cost of living is not one of them!
So far this is just your opinion as you haven't proven it with your statements. You just admitted you didn't comparison shop and you were incorrect on taxes, you make a generalization about the quality of house construction in Chicago vs Charlotte that isn't based on any statistics and you are ignoring the obvious differences in the costs of energy.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:20 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Lumbollo, let me as you something: Have you ever BEEN to Chicago? (the city itself, the neighbourhoods not the suburbs and certainly not just the airport)

Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
Here is what we have determined since our move from Gurnee, IL (a northern suburb of Chicago) in late June:

1- Food is just as expensive here as back in Gurnee, including produce, meats, etc.
2- Gasoline is much cheaper here, even with the rising costs lately. And I cross the border into SC to fill up.
3- Car insurance is the same as back in Gurnee (but I used to live and drive in Chicago, and the car insurance there is a rip off).
4- Property taxes are much cheaper here than in Gurnee (at least for now).
5- Clothes are about the same as in Gurnee.
6- Movie tickets are slightly higher here than in Gurnee ($1 extra per ticket).

I did not mention specific stores, but in general when I compare food I think of Jewel and Harris Teeter, clothes: Khols, which is in both places, or JC Penny.

For me the *gain* is in better weather conditions and in some cases for me lower costs. I would still move if I had to do it all over again

Old 11-16-2009, 09:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Lumbollo, let me as you something: Have you ever BEEN to Chicago? (the city itself, the neighbourhoods not the suburbs and certainly not just the airport)
Indeed I have. I was on temporary assignment there once and go to see much of it and the endless suburbs via the local employees who showed me around. Does this have anything to do with what I posted?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 AM

43 posts, read 134,392 times
I moved here from Houston, Texas. I was floored when I first started shopping for groceries. Food and taxes here are painful.

On the flipside, my electricity costs went down. However, it is much more expensive to live in Charlotte then to live in Texas or the state of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte