Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:21 AM

291 posts, read 1,113,895 times

Advertisements

If you have made the move to Charlotte, particularly those of you who have moved from NJ, NY, Philly, DC, please post your thoughts on the differences you've encountered and those things that it is taking or has taken some time to get used to. How has your lifestyle changed as a result of your move? What are the aspects of living in NC vs. where you moved from that are better, worse, different? What things do you like about NC that NJ, NY, etc. did not offer? What things do you miss about NJ, NY, etc. that NC doesn't offer? And lastly, what is your overall feeling about the move you made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Not even one response yet? Others experiences and insight would be super helpful to those folks considering a move.

Last edited by LHBR702; 05-14-2007 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-14-2007, 06:37 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
Didn't wish to return to DC area or No. Virginia/MD after military...too congested (Capitol Beltway...?? too busy and fast pace....things to do in both places ...I do miss the historical areas but Charleston and other things are close by!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
If you have made the move to Charlotte, particularly those of you who have moved from NJ, NY, Philly, DC, please post your thoughts on the differences you've encountered and those things that it is taking or has taken some time to get used to. How has your lifestyle changed as a result of your move? What are the aspects of living in NC vs. where you moved from that are better, worse, different? What things do you like about NC that NJ, NY, etc. did not offer? What things do you miss about NJ, NY, etc. that NC doesn't offer? And lastly, what is your overall feeling about the move you made?

I don't know if I count but the transplants from NY, Philly , Jersey or DC haven't answered.

I moved out of NY years ago to AZ I didn't miss a darn thing about NY(sorry no offense please) I even lived in Jersey for a few years didn't miss a darn thing about that either...well ok the Pizza and the hot dogs off the street. I don't like cold weather or snow.

I've been in NC for a few months from Phoenix I can't say I miss too much except my backyard swimming pool, it was an oasis in the desert. What I don't like about NC is having to deal with tornado watches and warnings. I'm loving the green and I've made some nice friends and I'm glad I moved no regrets here.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:40 PM

11 posts, read 24,524 times
I would like to hear from people on their views on this topic also

Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,263 times
I'll chime in for a minute.

We moved from Mass last June to Huntersville. Almost a year and it's gone by so fast. Here's a quick list of pros and cons for us so far.

Pros:
  • Not a slave to the mortgage company and tax collector anymore
  • Nice friendly neighbors all in the same position as us
  • Kids love it, tons of friends and good school system
  • Shopping is abundant and close by
  • Utilities are about the same as up north
  • Nice seasons with No snow shoveling !!
  • Smaller yard is easier to maintain and landscape
  • Lots of places to go and stuff to do
  • City and airport are close by
  • $6 dollars per day airport parking, not $26 like at logan
  • Most everything is new and clean looking
  • Good health care system
  • Kids have been swimming since April
  • Traffic is a breeze compared to Boston
  • Feel as though we are on vacation
  • Nice easy less stress lifestyle for us
  • Not slow like you keep reading about
  • Good contractors for projects, once you find the right one
  • Family and Friends come and visit us
  • Theatre and sports tickets are cheap to reasonably priced
  • Love wearing shorts and a t-shirt 10 months a year
  • 8 Hour drive to Disney

Cons:
  • Groceries are expensive
  • Produce doesn't seem as fresh (yet, local growers stuff coming soon!)
  • Water is a little more expensive but not outrageous
  • We go through bouts of missing family and friends back north
  • Haven't really made it to the lake or most any other place of interest yet
  • Up 10 lbs since moving here (vacation feeling, more leisure time)
  • Takes out -- subs, hoagies, grinders are different
  • No good fried clams as of yet
  • Chinese food is different
  • (complaining about nothing other than food= 10 lb weight gain!)
  • Cable TV is okay, had to switch to DirecTv
  • Under construction neighborhood= missing trees and bad lawns

That's about all I can think of for now.

I really don't find the area to be much different visually or culturally from MA other than maybe a little bit more diversity but it's all been good.

Overall our family is very happy that we made the move. This year has gone by in a flash. Kids are happy, wife is happy so I'm happy. We used to sit and chat and ask the kids if they ever wanted to move back and it was always a big NO from everyone. We visited MA in December and it was freezing, dirty and brown, everyone was dying to get back to NC after only a few days, despite seeing all our family and friends there.

Only thing I wish we had done differently is bought on the lake 3 years ago and paid what I paid for my house a few miles from the lake now.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I don't know if I count but the transplants from NY, Philly , Jersey or DC haven't answered.
All responses are welcome. I specified those particular areas since that is where I'd be coming from and I thought it might give me some useful insight into the differences we might experience, but you're right.... not many of my "ex-neighbors" have answered! So, please do share your experiences no matter where you've moved to Charlotte from!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times
LHB - I moved from western NY to Charlotte. I graduated college, and a year later, and 31 days straight of seeing snow, over and over, without a break, I was ready to leave.

The different things here are - Good Things
1. People are nicer
2. People are more relaxed
3. People are very religious the churches are very welcoming.
4. The sun shines about 360 days a year, the other 5 days it rains.
5. The only boots I wear are leather fashion boots, no more rubber insulated winter boots.
6. I can wear polar fleece in the winter, no parkas.
7. The quality of life is really better because people make their communities better.
8. You can own a brand new home for less then a 100 year old house in NY would cost.
9. Private School is affordale (in some areas)
10. There is some great high end shopping at South Park Mall.
11. The colleges are affordable (public and private).
12. There is quite a bit of wealth here.
13. The Nascar Drivers Live here and work here. I think that's awsome.
14. It's a great place to raise a family.
15. The economy is pretty good and we are the 2nd biggest Banking Market next to NYC.
16. They make AWSOME Sweet Tea. I was hooked on my first visit.

I could come up with 50 more things but I'm still tired.

A few bad things....
1. THe roads are crowded.
2. People don't use turn signals and drive aggressively.
3. My work commute is long, the more subdivisions they build the more the roads get crowded.
4. The schools are way over crowded, the school building process hasn't kept up with the growth. This is public schools.
5. People tend to be slow, even when your on lunch and in a hurry.
6. Fast food isn't fast, I laugh when the resturants run out of food, hello, your a resturant.
7. The people I work with invade my personal space, walking, sitting, etc.
8. Our yard seems to need mowing every other day.

I could go on. PM me if you want to know anything more.

XNY

Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 AM

192 posts, read 687,464 times
Grew up in the midwest. Lived in Charlotte for 20 years then moved to Houston and then on to L.A. Moved back here last November.

I guess I have to agree with Markh. It's the food I miss. Local Mom and Pop pizza and subs. "Hometown" restaurants. Most everything is franchised here. There are the fish camps but I'm not into all that fried stuff. BBQ is pretty darn tasty, tho!

I DON'T like big cities so I'm happy not to be in Houston or L.A. anymore. I live down in Ft Mill so I don't have to deal with the Charlotte traffic much.

Food IS more expensive here and homes aren't cheap but we were able to buy a bigger, nicer home than the one in L.A. (fer sure!)

Love the 4 seasons (fall is so beautiful here) and Winter is mild and SHORT. Kids would like more snow but as long as we get in a ski trip or two each Winter, I'm fine with that.

Lots to do around here. We just haven't found the time yet. Going to the beach this summer. Ditto the mountains. Looking forward to a nice, long summer sittin by the pool.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
I am originally from CT, but relocated to NC 11 years ago (from another state), but there are some some things that are different:

1. When I moved, I figured I would give up snow skiing and replace it with water skiing. Well, that hasn't happened. I can no more afford to own a boat now than I did 11 years ago.

2. I miss just being able to got outside and ice skate.

3. I miss tubing down the river. The last time I went tubing I had to go to Tennessee. I miss nearby lakes with public beaches.

4. I don't miss the inflexibility and stubborness of CT. I remember there was a joke about renaming all the Connecticut towns to NIMBY (NIMBYton, East NIMBY, West NIMBY, NIMBYfield, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte