Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 PM

210 posts, read 604,152 times

Advertisements

Are there any good local stores still carrying flower bulbs -- daffodils, crocuses, etc.? Most online stores have stopped selling, perhaps because many are in the northeast and it's getting to cold to plant there. Here, it's still perfect, and I need to fill a few holes in the garden.

Any suggestions? If the bulbs are on clearance by now, even better. For the curiousity of any fellow gardeners, this year I'm planting bulbs that will naturalize here, like tazetta daffodils (Avalanche), other daffs (southern naturalizing mix from Scheepers), and species crocus, but I can always have some more tulips/hyacinths/etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I don't advice it. The recent frost and ensuing warmer weather tricks bulbs into sprouting. It's November and the iris stalks are up. By spring, they're a dead bunch of stick-looking stems. Can't grow bulbs worth a damn down here if you're used to the north.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 PM
cfr

152 posts, read 373,715 times
I usually find them in the plant clearance area in HD or Lowes. As to planting them now or later, I usually take a chance. P.S. Being they are on clearance watch out for mold or dried out bulbs.
Good Luck

Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Last year about this time Lowe's was out of bulbs but HD still had some out. I did already purchase some this year and need to get them in the ground. Maybe that will be a project for this weekend. With all this rain hopefully the red clay won't be too hard.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I don't advice it. The recent frost and ensuing warmer weather tricks bulbs into sprouting. It's November and the iris stalks are up. By spring, they're a dead bunch of stick-looking stems. Can't grow bulbs worth a damn down here if you're used to the north.
The same bulbs definitely do not work. Tulips, for example, do not seem to come back for me very well. Gladiolas were a disaster, came too late and were destroyed by thrips.

There are good bulbs for this climate, however, including wonderful things that won't grow in the north at all. Crinums, for example, are amazing flowers/plants. The bulbs can get as big as a soccer ball, with nice foliage and huge plumes of flowers. Some of the species crocus, some daffodils (tazetta type) and some others supposedly do well here, too. Here's a picture of a crinum in flower:

Here are some good resources:

Texas Grown Heirloom Flower Bulbs - The Southern Bulb Company - heirloom southern bulbs collected from abandoned homesites and old gardens

Old House Gardens Heirloom Flower Bulbs - will give good recommendations on things that work here -- for example, they sent me good recommendations on dahlias that can take the here

Amazon.com: Garden Bulbs for the South (9780881928136): Scott Ogden: Books - excellent book on old southern bulbs

Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Plan R - thank you for those links. I'll definitely look into them. Maybe I can get motivated again. Is the one in the photo planted in the fall to bloom in spring?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM

I think you can plant crinums anytime, but I planted mine (that photo is off the internet, I don't have any photos of mine) last spring. The foliage holds up well, and the plant is pretty big. It doesn't get ratty and yellow like tulip or daffodil foliage, although I think frost will probably knock it back. Still green now. Neat plants, apparently they live a very long time and form big clumps. They also can send up flowers after a hard rain through most of summer, much longer bloom season that you think of for a bulb.

I actually got my first ones from Costco in march or so, although I've since ordered some more from ebay. Two of the bulbs bloomed first year, two did not. I think I will dig them up and plant deeper this winter (say 12-18" -- they're currently just below ground) and see if they bloom next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte