Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,638,002 times

Advertisements

We are moving soon from the University area (sugar creek & W.T. Harris) to Matthews. Please give me some recommendations on local movers. Do they typically charge by the hour or by the load? We are planning on moving most of the small stuff on our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 11:19 AM

185 posts, read 583,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
We are moving soon from the University area (sugar creek & W.T. Harris) to Matthews. Please give me some recommendations on local movers. Do they typically charge by the hour or by the load? We are planning on moving most of the small stuff on our own.
Kinda on the subject, anyone else notice the price difference in renting a Uhaul here in N.C. rather then Jersey? DAMN. Talk about cheap! Thats a prime example of supply and demand .
Anyway if ya need to rent one of those.......

BTW welcome to "my neck a da woods"

Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 51,995 times
Do NOT use Two Men and A Truck. My friend & her family took them to court because they said they gave them packaging materials and packed their house. It costs them an additional $3000. The men lied up on the stand saying they did pack the house so my friend lost. Also they charge by the hour and it took them literally all day. They went to her house at 8 and finished up at midnight. Try move.com, they may have some other suggestions. Also charlotte's craigslist is a good place to find help online.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 PM

999 posts, read 4,655,833 times
We used Two Men and a Truck for my husband's move from his temp. apt in uptown to our house in Indian Trial. We moved all the small stuff on our own, left the sofa bed, TV, night table, several boxes....took 2 hrs at their hourly rate....I think it was less than $300 and we had no trouble.
If it's only a small amt I would feel comfortable using them again. (though I told my husband we're NOT moving again!)

Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 PM

240 posts, read 1,034,047 times
We've used Act of Class Moving and Storage twice, and they've been excellent both times. They show up on time, the service is excellent, and they're careful with your house and belongings. They aren't the cheapest movers around, but they're competitive with other movers in the area. Here's a link to their website:

Moving to Charlotte, Charlotte Moving Company, Moving Charlotte North Carolina

Old 10-28-2007, 08:50 PM

870 posts, read 3,530,899 times
We used Two Men and A Truck also. They were great, no problems. Came when they said, did what they had to and got us into our home in less time than they said. We moved from Charlotte, near uptown, to Matthews. They even moved our pianos and did not charge us extra.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 AM

150 posts, read 705,293 times
We've used two men and a truck as well for our local move and they were great. They were on time, did their work quickly and were reasonable. Again, like an earlier poster, they moved all our heavy stuff - sofas etc. and we moved the smaller items.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM

716 posts, read 2,160,454 times
Be very careful who you choose for movers. If you're inexperienced, it could end up costing you a LOT more than you bargained for, even for local moves. Do your homework!

I always consult the boards at movingscam.com before I contract a moving company. There are lots of good general tips for moving, and tips on how to choose movers, and the search function there is invaluable if you're looking to research a particular mover. I can highly recommend it.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM

33 posts, read 31,287 times
Excellent advice! We ended up going to the BBB for several issues we have had with movers. The moving business, in general, is known to be like an auto repair business. Really do research before you sign for any mover. You dont want to go through what we did.. And the funny thing is, many people have negative encounters with moving companies. I dont care if its in-town or cross-country, you will be tested...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Be very careful who you choose for movers. If you're inexperienced, it could end up costing you a LOT more than you bargained for, even for local moves. Do your homework!

I always consult the boards at movingscam.com before I contract a moving company. There are lots of good general tips for moving, and tips on how to choose movers, and the search function there is invaluable if you're looking to research a particular mover. I can highly recommend it.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM

111 posts, read 527,788 times
Charlotte Van and Storage is awesome. They are members of the BBB and are family and locally owned and have been in business here for over 30 years. I have used them over a dozen times for myself and clients and never had one problem. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte