Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm very curious about how is a living in Charlotte.

How is......
Cost and quality of living?
Crime level?
Wages?
Opportunities?
Traffic?
People?
Weather?
Is it family friendly?

I'm a 23-year-old student currently living in Miami, Fl, which I really hate. Reasons: weather sucks, cost of living is crazy, very low wages, people are rude and supercial, traffic and drivers are horrendous, not a family friendly city, lack of advacement and opportunities, high crime, full of low-income and welfare suburbs, and there's nothing to do if you are away from clubs and the night scene. I want to move as soon as possible I get my bachelors' or probably before that with my boyfriend, which he totally agrees for the same reasons.

Thanks I appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Hello

How is......
Crime level?
Wages?
Opportunities?
Traffic?
People?
Weather?
Is it family friendly?

I'm a 23-year-old student currently living in Miami, Fl, which I really hate. Reasons: weather sucks, cost of living is crazy, very low wages, people are rude and supercial, traffic and drivers are horrendous, not a family friendly city, lack of advacement and opportunities, high crime, full of low-income and welfare suburbs, and there's nothing to do if you are away from clubs and the night scene. I want to move as soon as possible I get my bachelors' or probably before that with my boyfriend, which he totally agrees for the same reasons.

Thanks I appreciate it
You've asked for A LOT of info! My best advice, spend some time here reading as many threads as you can - you'll get all those questions and more answered, it's all there already

Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,555 times
i dont know how many people live in NC

Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You've asked for A LOT of info! My best advice, spend some time here reading as many threads as you can - you'll get all those questions and more answered, it's all there already
read the city-data profile page then for unanwered questions do a search at the top as loves suggested

http://www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...-Carolina.html

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 AM

37 posts, read 64,745 times
Quote:
Hello

How is......
Crime level?
Wages?
Opportunities?
Traffic?
People?
Weather?
Is it family friendly?

Thanks I appreciate it
Being somewhat familiar with Miami (I grew up in Coral Springs), I think I know what you're talking about.

The cost of living in Charlotte is probably much less than in Miami, especially in terms of housing costs. You'll be able to buy much more house for your money.

In general, people are much less rude here, driving is much easier (although we have rush-hour traffic like any other city).

Charlotte is much more family-friendly (sometimes to a fault in my opinion).

I don't have any stats but I would bet that our crime is much less here.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
It would be a good idea to buy a World Almanac. It gives such data as crime, cost of living, populations, etc. A wonderful book for looking up things.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 AM

236 posts, read 806,653 times
Marina,

I'll try to answer your questions. These people are crazy suggesting you go buy an almanac! That's silly. This is what the message board is for. So here goes...

Cost and quality of living
- cost of living here in charlotte is cheaper than the cost of living in Miami (housing). since you're 23, I'm assuming you'd be renting an apartment when you first get here. go to www.apartmentguide.com and view apartment prices in charlotte. area 5, zip code 28277 (ballantyne) is considered the nicest side of town. Depending on what specials are running, you could get a 1 bd room 700 sq ft apt for about $500-700
I used to live in Promenade Park Apartments.
Promenade Park Apartments Charlotte, NC - Apartments for Rent in Charlotte North Carolina
Looks like you can get a 819 sq ft 1 bd rm for $620. That's what I had

But like I said, this is the nicest side of town. You can find something cheaper in other areas. I was just using 28277 as a comparison. A 1 bd rm apt on the nicest side of Miami would run you about $1200

Crime level
- Crime is everywhere. We don't see alot of DC, NY, Detroit, Dade County type crime (like big drug bust, daily murders, etc). We have more car break ins, home invasions (east side of town mainly)...things like that

Wages
I just ran some quick numbers on the salary comparison site. Here's an example...
An Accountant I in charlotte would make on average $41,060
An Accountant I in Miami would make on average $41,562

Opportunities
We're in a recession

Traffic
Not really that bad. I used to live in Philly and work out in King of Prussia (20 highway miles). It would take me about 1.5 hours to commute to and from work, driving on I-76 Schuylkill highway.
We don't have LA, ATL, MIA, PA, NY traffic.

People
People are generally nice and helpful. Like I said, I used to live in Philly...I'll leave it at that.

Weather
Summers are nice. Temp usually doesn't get above 95.
Winters aren't that cold. We may get 1-2 days of snow a year. Temps usually don't drop below 35

Is it family friendly
That's what Charlotte is! A family friendly town. Not a whole lot going on.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Charlotte has all but a beach. You will find practically everything here that you will find in most comparable cities.

-There are four destinct seasons. Summers are hot but comfortble before 10:00 am and after 8:00 pm. If you like skiing, there are slopes two hours away. They aren't like Aspen, but they are great for the amature. Fall and Spring are beautiful.

-Rents are low compared to "most" comparable cities in the east.

-Crime is also comparable with some bad neighborhoods to avoid. Common sense is required. You will be aware of this being from Miami. There are gang problems here and daily murders like you are used to, but again, they are mostly confined to certain areas. Like in other cities or even towns in the U.S. , one must remain vigil.

-Charlotte wages are overall a little above the national average. Unfortunately, jobs are hard to come by these days unless you have a unique specialty that is in demand.

-Having lived in Miami, Traffic is a not a bad experience here unless an accident occurs. Under normal conditions one can get anywhere from downtown in 20 minutes maximum.

-Hard to give a general description of the people other than they are mostly natives of other states. One in eight families speak other than English, so the population is too diverse to specify. Charlotte is known as a welcoming, family friendly city.

-Charlotte is not Atlanta or NYC, but there is ample activity for a metro of 2 million. There is an ever expanding performing arts and museum community, lively entertainment scene, excellent restaurants, pubs, and shopping. Charlotte is growing and being part of the growth is exciting. There is a manmade white water rafting center locally. It is extemely cool. It offers kayaking and rafting and is the only one of its type in the world. It is also national headquarters for the U.S. kayaking association.

-Charlotte is a great city for professional sports. The football stadium and basketball arena are uptown.

-Charlotte has been one of the top relocation destinations in the United States more than the past decade.

-If you wish to live close to the action, I would look around Southend, Gateway, Elizabeth, Dilworth, mid-town, or uptown (actually different from mid-town).

-Charlotte has one of the busiest airports in the U.S. with flights to most U.S. destinations, South America, and Europe. It is the major hub for U.S. Air.

Overall, Charlotte is a nice that will likely have anything you want if you want a different climate and a non-beach atmosphere. Most people love it here, but make sure Charlotte has the things that you are looking for and there are differences, the main one is climate. But, the job situation is tight.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times
I'm looking for a four season and family friendly city, which is the oppositie of Miami...

Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 PM

174 posts, read 477,356 times
Quote:
Hello

How is......
Crime level?
Wages?
Opportunities?
Traffic?
People?
Weather?
Is it family friendly?

Thanks I appreciate it
Cost and quality of living? cheaper than Miami
Crime level? crime is in "pockets" of Charlotte..need to know where they are
Wages? probably the same if not better in Charlotte
Opportunities? #4 in unemployment (SC is #3)
Traffic? only on certain roads at certain times -- less congested than Miami overall
People? Nicer than Miami
Weather? you get the 4 seasons, some snow in winter (melts the next day) summers are hot..highs in the 90's pretty consistently
Is it family friendly? very family friendly -- a lot of single people complain it's too family friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: