Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,117 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any information regarding building of wells on your property for irrigation? I must admit that I am somewhat irritated that I have to monitor my water useage. Here in Union Cty. the costs are outrageous when compared to NY or NJ. I am currently watering every other day at 20 minutes per zone and the grass is struggling. I never thought I would ever have to be concerned with water costs, but it seriously is a concern in Union Cty.

I am thinking a well for irrigation and swimming pool may be a good alternative, just dont have any information. Hoping somebody on here does.....cost? availability of water? trusted companies?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 PM

113 posts, read 457,483 times
it cost, like, 7k to dig out a well. And the paperwork is a nightmare if you never had one. but don't take my word, I've seen it done in Rock Hill SC.
call the city.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 AM

85 posts, read 362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Does anybody have any information regarding building of wells on your property for irrigation? I must admit that I am somewhat irritated that I have to monitor my water useage. Here in Union Cty. the costs are outrageous when compared to NY or NJ. I am currently watering every other day at 20 minutes per zone and the grass is struggling. I never thought I would ever have to be concerned with water costs, but it seriously is a concern in Union Cty.

I am thinking a well for irrigation and swimming pool may be a good alternative, just dont have any information. Hoping somebody on here does.....cost? availability of water? trusted companies?

Thanks in advance

I feel your pain!! Just sold our home with a 12 zone irrigation system. With the system shut down our normal water usage was a typical 4 to 5 thousand gallons per month at a cost of approx $25.
When we fired up the irrigation system with minimal times for each of the zones, running every other day, the cost shot up to well near $200 per month! Trimming down the zones and ensuring no leaks existed brought us back down near $100.
A well in Union Cty will average about $4k and provide a good supply for irrigation and other purposes. Only other costs will be electric to pump. Return on investment may or may not justify in your case. Everyone is different.
Not endorsing or advertising but Carolina Well is providing us with our water supply to new home. They are quite well versed in the area.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM

431 posts, read 1,669,117 times
Thanks Eagleheart, very informative. I currently have 12 zones also. Sounds very appealing at $4 Grand. Especially considering my water bill was over $500 last month

Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
We are in a drought. It has been so bad in the not-so-recent past when people watering their lawns were fined.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:13 PM

85 posts, read 362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Thanks Eagleheart, very informative. I currently have 12 zones also. Sounds very appealing at $4 Grand. Especially considering my water bill was over $500 last month
Hey, make real sure you don't have trash in one or more of your solenoid valves. Look for the zone with the best looking grass or growth and check each head for water weeping when the system is shut off. That means the entire zone is leaking from the solenoid having trash holding it slightly open. (Akin to a toilet running constantly - but you can't hear this one!) My water bill shot up tremendously one season due to that problem. Flushing an irrigation system can be tedious and frustrating as well.....best to hire someone to give the system a once over. It's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte