Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Physician moving to CLT but wondering!! What is the best place to live in? In general and why? Spent
Charlotte 2 40.00%
San Antonio 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Boston 0 0%
Houston 0 0%
Columbus 1 20.00%
Cleveland 0 0%
Chicago 1 20.00%
New York 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 AM

92 posts, read 279,935 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Charlotte this June, and we have some nice places here in Clevaland for Hookah and Kebab or Grilld Kafta if you know what that is , if you don't you gotta try it, awsome.

See these Photos for Egyptian monuments, God I miss my country, though I love USA also , We had the past and I cannot live in the past glories, that is why I am here in the states, for no doubt it is the most civilized country on Earth now.

soooma
Enjoy these photos
For whoever might be interested to know I saw all these monuments , and up above all I used to live 5 miles from the Pyramids of Giza
Attached Thumbnails
Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-egy003.gif   Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-egypt_19th_1.jpg   Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-800px-karnak_temple-_egypt.jpg   Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-000083.jpg   Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-2036740-pyramids-giza-0.jpg  

Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-abu-simbel-2.jpg   Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-giza-pyramids-soaring-above-750.jpg   Egyptian memories from Cleveland to Charlotte? Any nice arabic or Egyptian places to go to? Nostalgia is the word :)-tomb.jpg  

Last edited by soooma; 03-04-2009 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 27,432 times
There is a Kebab place in Balentyne Near the borders and Miro shopping center. I saw a guy using what I think was a Hookah.

Please stop asking people to rate Charlotte vs other cities. 3-4 of your threads on the topic is enough imo.

Edit: http://www.shopstonecrest.com/stonecrest_shops.php?P=1.26 (broken link) There's a link to the kebob shop.

Last edited by Verrous; 03-04-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Those are very lovely photos, Sooma.

As you know, this country is massive. Cultures are very different in every city you have posted.

You have stated that you are homesick, which is very natural. Using that thought process, you might be more comfortable in a city that has others from your country and a large variety of things from your country. Because of that, I voted that Chicago might be a better choice. There is a large Arab population there, a mosque and I know, many varieties of restaurants and grocery stores that would carry your familiar food choices.

Here in Charlotte, we do have an Arab population and a mosque as well, however, it is spread out and not very large. We do have an Egyptian restaurant, down by our local community college's main campus, Central Piedmont, called Red River or something like that. (it actually may have closed. cannot find a listing for it) You may have a difficult time finding foods native to your home. (I honestly don't know) Actually, now that I think about it, there is a Halal butcher in SC (right across the border from NC/SC) if he is still in business. Here is a deli that I think serves sandwiches:

Halal Market & Deli
(704) 567-2025
3145 N Sharon Amity Rd, Charlotte, NC 28205 Map it | Get directions
Cross Streets: Between NC-27 and Campbell Dr

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Exclamation Thanks for the reply, but do you really have the right to ask me to stop asking about Charlotte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrous View Post
There is a Kebab place in Balentyne Near the borders and Miro shopping center. I saw a guy using what I think was a Hookah.

Please stop asking people to rate Charlotte vs other cities. 3-4 of your threads on the topic is enough imo.

Edit: stonecrest shopping center (http://www.shopstonecrest.com/stonecrest_shops.php?P=1.26 - broken link) There's a link to the kebob shop.
Thanks for the reply, but do you really have the right to ask me to stop asking about Charlotte?

And did you ever ask yourself why I am repeating the question? over and over again and again? Did you think about not haveing my curiosity and all my questions answered about how Charlotte is perceived by Charlotteans and non Charlotteans when compared to other major cities, I am not sure about you, may be you are not interested in ansewering my questions, but don't automatically suppose that others won't help like you aren't interested to,,,, and IMHO if you are not interested in a thread just ignore it,,,,

I really doubt that you are a transplant, because any one who relocated to Charlotte, would understand my questions, and my worries about my Choice of the city that I and my family are supposed to living the rest of our lives in!!!

Thank you anyway!

And don't forget bad threads dies on their own, without people killing them!

soooma

Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Talking I am christian, and we do have a church in Charlotte, not a big one thought :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

As you know, this country is massive. Cultures are very different in every city you have posted.

You have stated that you are homesick, which is very natural. Using that thought process, you might be more comfortable in a city that has others from your country and a large variety of things from your country. Because of that, I voted that Chicago might be a better choice. There is a large Arab population there, a mosque and I know, many varieties of restaurants and grocery stores that would carry your familiar food choices.

Here in Charlotte, we do have an Arab population and a mosque as well, however, it is spread out and not very large. We do have an Egyptian restaurant, down by our local community college's main campus, Central Piedmont, called Red River or something like that. (it actually may have closed. cannot find a listing for it) You may have a difficult time finding foods native to your home. (I honestly don't know) Actually, now that I think about it, there is a Halal butcher in SC (right across the border from NC/SC) if he is still in business. Here is a deli that I think serves sandwiches:

Halal Market & Deli
(704) 567-2025

I am christian, and we do have a church in Charlotte, not a big one thought , but enough to have some less homesickness... But I don't know anyone there,,,

By the way,,, out of each 6 muslims in Egypt you will have 1 Christian orthodox..

thanks
soooma

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post

I am christian, and we do have a church in Charlotte, not a big one thought , but enough to have some less homesickness... But I don't know anyone there,,,

By the way,,, out of each 6 muslims in Egypt you will have 1 Christian orthodox..

thanks
soooma
Please accept my apologies if I have offended you.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Talking Not at all :)

Quote:
Please accept my apologies if I have offended you.

And I appreciate your reply which is useful by the way

thank you
have a nice evening

Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
Quote:

Halal Market & Deli
(704) 567-2025

I was going to mention the Halal butcher on Sharon Amity as well. It's got a great Middle Eastern grocery attached. I've found a lot of trickier things there that Harris Teeter just doesn't have, and the people who work there are very kind.
Soooma,
Charlotte is going to be different, no doubt. If you do decide to come here (I'm a little confused on if it's happening for sure), I hope you will enjoy it. It is a nice place to live overall, especially if you have a family. However, a city like Chicago will have many more Egyptians and things you are familiar with from your country, as it is SO much bigger with a much more international population. Best of luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Thanks for the reply, but do you really have the right to ask me to stop asking about Charlotte?

And did you ever ask yourself why I am repeating the question? over and over again and again? Did you think about not haveing my curiosity and all my questions answered about how Charlotte is perceived by Charlotteans and non Charlotteans when compared to other major cities, I am not sure about you, may be you are not interested in ansewering my questions, but don't automatically suppose that others won't help like you aren't interested to,,,, and IMHO if you are not interested in a thread just ignore it,,,,

I really doubt that you are a transplant, because any one who relocated to Charlotte, would understand my questions, and my worries about my Choice of the city that I and my family are supposed to living the rest of our lives in!!!

Thank you anyway!

And don't forget bad threads dies on their own, without people killing them!

soooma
The person who posted that lives in Cleveland, Ohio. At least, that is what he/she has listed as present residence.

I think we are all confused b/c you keep asking us to compare CLT w/ other cities and the truth is - what one person finds attractive about any given place - another may not.

From all your posts here, I honestly feel you would be happier in a larger metropolitan area, w/ more cultural choices/diversity.

I would suggest Chicago, but you don't like cold weather, so my next suggestion would be Dallas, TX. I think you would find it to be a much more robust, dynamic area than Charlotte. Plus, the weather is warmer for more months and a very mild winter. Charlotte is a very laid back, spread out city wh/ really does not feel that urban even in the midst of downtown. It feels like a small town w/ big buildings - not a bustling urban center.

There are going to be very few Eqyptian establishments here.

Charlotte is a great place to live if: 1. you love to golf 2. you like spending your weekends in the mountains or at the beach (many doctors own second homes around Charleston, SC) 3. you want a quiet life 4. you like fishing or skiing on the lake

If I were homesick, I would want to be close to museums where I could spend some time feeling re-connected to my home. There is nothing like that here. So that might be something you should consider, as well.

You seem to be expressing a lot of doubt w/ your posts, as you are asking the same questions over and over - and none of us can really tell you where you are going to feel most at home. But I think those of us who have lived in larger metro areas can definitely tell you it was a big adjustment moving here, as basically, this is a small Southern town that is spread out across a lot of land . . . w/ suburbs being the prominent feature of the region, along w/ some bodies of water - and mountains on the horizon to the west and a four hour or so drive to the beaches to the east.

To me, Charlotte feels "undeveloped" and somewhat rural compared to most of the cities on your list. Maybe that is b/c it is just not densely developed, even at the city's core.

Let me put it this way. I felt I lived in a city when I lived in Kansas City. Same for St. Louis. I do not feel that way here. I feel like I live in a big town - NOT a city. Take that for what it is worth - just another opinion since you are taking a poll.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Unhappy I admire your straightforward post, though you told me what I didn't wanna hear :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The person who posted that lives in Cleveland, Ohio. At least, that is what he/she has listed as present residence.

I think we are all confused b/c you keep asking us to compare CLT w/ other cities and the truth is - what one person finds attractive about any given place - another may not.

From all your posts here, I honestly feel you would be happier in a larger metropolitan area, w/ more cultural choices/diversity.

I would suggest Chicago, but you don't like cold weather, so my next suggestion would be Dallas, TX. I think you would find it to be a much more robust, dynamic area than Charlotte. Plus, the weather is warmer for more months and a very mild winter. Charlotte is a very laid back, spread out city wh/ really does not feel that urban even in the midst of downtown. It feels like a small town w/ big buildings - not a bustling urban center.

There are going to be very few Eqyptian establishments here.

Charlotte is a great place to live if: 1. you love to golf 2. you like spending your weekends in the mountains or at the beach (many doctors own second homes around Charleston, SC) 3. you want a quiet life 4. you like fishing or skiing on the lake

If I were homesick, I would want to be close to museums where I could spend some time feeling re-connected to my home. There is nothing like that here. So that might be something you should consider, as well.

You seem to be expressing a lot of doubt w/ your posts, as you are asking the same questions over and over - and none of us can really tell you where you are going to feel most at home. But I think those of us who have lived in larger metro areas can definitely tell you it was a big adjustment moving here, as basically, this is a small Southern town that is spread out across a lot of land . . . w/ suburbs being the prominent feature of the region, along w/ some bodies of water - and mountains on the horizon to the west and a four hour or so drive to the beaches to the east.

To me, Charlotte feels "undeveloped" and somewhat rural compared to most of the cities on your list. Maybe that is b/c it is just not densely developed, even at the city's core.

Let me put it this way. I felt I lived in a city when I lived in Kansas City. Same for St. Louis. I do not feel that way here. I feel like I live in a big town - NOT a city. Take that for what it is worth - just another opinion since you are taking a poll.

To be honest with you, I kinda felt what you just said, but for the last few weeks I have been trying to convince myself that I did the right thing and I chose a big city with the feel of a small city, and the problem was we didn't have enough time to see the whole city to be able at the very least to compare to the ones we lived in, LA for a few months, then Seattle for a few months, then Cleveland for a few years..

but after reading most of the posts about CLT compared to other big cities, I got that feeling that it is not that big after all or diverse, though I admired the cleanliness of the city, but it is too suburban for my taste, and my wife didn't fall in love with it either, but we had been to Chicago for a vacation for a week or so before that in September and you know how Chicago is like in September, and we thought that CLT will be something that is close, not as big but close to Chicago, but then found that it is nothing close to how Chicago or Seattle are...

But our of psychological -defense mechanism- we call it in psychiatry, I tried to explain to her that this is what we should be looking for, and that I hated the traffic of Chicago which was much much much much much much better than Cairo by the way,,,, but the main problem was I liked the job and the team I am gonna work with in CMC hospital, and felt they are very nice people, and I told my wife "Consider it a little cleaner nicer more booming manicured and lastly warmer Cleveland", and I did all that because honestly,,, I liked the job.

thank you for your reply, which was straight like an arrow to my heart ,,, Apparently I was waiting for people to tell me something I wanted to hear that it is much nice than all those cities,,, may be,,, you never know how defense mechanisms for human psyche works...

Dr. B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: