Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,870 times

Advertisements

I have put a small sidewalk on the side of my house. HOA is asking me to remove the sidewalk or they are threatening me to sue me. They do not have any supporting document why the sidewalk is illegal. Also what is the definition of sidewalk. Is backyard patio is also considered as sidewalk? Anybody has any suggestion about my options here? How much power HOA has and how far they want to go with this small issue? I thought HOA is supposed to help the homeowners not harass them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyansamanta View Post
I have put a small sidewalk on the side of my house. HOA is asking me to remove the sidewalk or they are threatening me to sue me. They do not have any supporting document why the sidewalk is illegal. Also what is the definition of sidewalk. Is backyard patio is also considered as sidewalk? Anybody has any suggestion about my options here? How much power HOA has and how far they want to go with this small issue? I thought HOA is supposed to help the homeowners not harass them.
you are going to have to read your CCRs that were given to you at closing. Sad to say...yes, if that is covered under your CCRs, then, yes, they have the power to put a lien on your house and, ultimately foreclose on it for this issue.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

41 posts, read 97,808 times
Default HOA's have more power than god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dealing with an HOA can be a nightmare. In the state of FL they can actually TAKE YOUR HOME for an infraction like an un-approved sidewalk. If I were you, I would remove the sidewalk IMMEDIATELY and put my home on the market. It has been my experience that most HOA's are run by people with too much time on their hands. And,of course, a Napoleon complex. ( Mostly transplant retirees here.) Now that you have ticked them off AND questioned their authority you have a giant bullseye on you.From the annuals you plant to the curtain style in the front of your house. They will nit pick you to death!!!!! Read your contract.You will be amazed how many rights you have signed away. And the pandoras box you have opened. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:40 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Here we go again!

Sorry OP, but you do need to abide by the Covenants and Restrictions that you agreed to when buying your home. That does include getting permission to make changes to the exterior of the home.

Your post is going to invite the the anti-HOA poster's who are going to spew doom and gloom to scare the heck out of you. HOA's are not bad for the most part. I'm sure there are some "doozies" out there. For the most part, they are easy to live and work with.

Contact whoever gave you the violation and the Architectural Review Committee to achieve resolution. This would include getting a permit for the sidewalk or the removing it.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,174 times
I have come to absolutely hate my HOA. The fee keeps rising every 6 months or so and they will not explain why. We have no authority to audit them or know where our money is going other than they will list the services that it provides but no pricing for them. I hope when I move back to Charleston I can find a house without an HOA.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I have come to absolutely hate my HOA. The fee keeps rising every 6 months or so and they will not explain why. We have no authority to audit them or know where our money is going other than they will list the services that it provides but no pricing for them. I hope when I move back to Charleston I can find a house without an HOA.
They have to provide you the books within reasonable time when you request them in writing. Do that. You can also see every receipt and what it is spent on. Sit in on the HOA meetings and listen to how they handle their business.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
They have to provide you the books within reasonable time when you request them in writing. Do that. You can also see every receipt and what it is spent on. Sit in on the HOA meetings and listen to how they handle their business.
According to my HOA pres. I cannot sit in on the meetings only the 1 meeting they hold at the clubhouse/pool area every 6 months to fill us in on what they "feel" we need to know. When you start asking questions they end the meeting.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
Quote:
According to my HOA pres. I cannot sit in on the meetings only the 1 meeting they hold at the clubhouse/pool area every 6 months to fill us in on what they "feel" we need to know. When you start asking questions they end the meeting.
I'd do some research on the laws governing HOAs, not take the HOA presidents word for what you can or can't do.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
Then your HOA president is a control freak. YOU own the HOA, you're allowed to sit in on any board meeting, except when they're discussing an individual homeowner.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNewbietoo View Post
It has been my experience that most HOA's are run by people with too much time on their hands.
And most of the people who make the above statement expect that their neighbors who volunteer for board positions are just supposed to magically provide for them.

Get off your ass and volunteer. You'll change your mind about HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: