Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times

Advertisements

Lumbollo;
I would like some new insight because some of the posts seem to be old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Just wondering on this one. Do you still consider Charlotte a great/good place to live in the present economy state? With my possible relocation and the postings I see on the site sometimes I am wondering if I am making the right choice? I have lived all over the place so I have seen the best and the worst, I think.
So what makes Charlotte a great/good place?
To me, even in its present economic state, NC and Charlotte are great places to live, though whether or not coming here is the right choice for YOU, only YOU can say

I just know that I love the Carolina blue skies, the normally mild winters, the way this whole place bursts into blooms of color in the sping, the many green spaces, the rural feel and lack of urban grittiness overall, the way uptown has become an entertainment destination, the fact we have the light rail, good caring neighborhoods, a church on practically every corner, a feeling by the majority that we are all just happy to be here and glad to not be someplace else, and the multitude of hiking and camping opportunities in the gorgeous Blue Ridge mountains within easy reach

Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks, I like the idea being a city but not all that goes with a "big city". I have had my share of city and rural life and do not care for either extreme. I just want convenience. A good mix of both would do me just fine. From what you say "loves mountains" it may be just what I like. Thanks

Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Thanks, I like the idea being a city but not all that goes with a "big city". I have had my share of city and rural life and do not care for either extreme. I just want convenience. A good mix of both would do me just fine. From what you say "loves mountains" it may be just what I like. Thanks
Okay - that one sentence helps me understand what it is you are looking for - as does your desire for a mix of city/rural.

That was one of my top criteria when moving here - convenience. I felt I made a good choice when I bought my house, b/c I bought in an area where I can reach everything - from post office to medical services to gas station and groceries - in less than 3 miles. Everything I need-retail to medical - is right here. I have been extremely pleased with that aspect of living here. I don't have to leave my bubble unless I choose to leave to venture to another area for a particular reason. Since that was a high priority to me, I have not been disappointed at all.

In fact, my family would like for me to move closer to them, and when I consider that this probably would be a good idea, I stop and think about how comfortable I am in my little world here in South Charlotte - and I can never quite get motivated to leave . . .

There are places you can live here - have conveniences - and still be able to get out into more rural areas when you choose to do it. That is a nearly perfect situation for me, and if that is what you are looking for - then I think you could find Charlotte a very comfortable place to live.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Ani,
Thanks a bunch!!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Ani,
Thanks a bunch!!
You are very welcome! Honestly, I don't think you would be making a mistake, Bajanqueen. And as I said earlier, if you came and it really didn't feel right, very few decisions in life cannot be changed. If you come here and rent first - you can then have the flexibility of finding out exactly where you are most comfortable.

Before we moved here, hubby was conducting a job search and even tho I was fully resigned to making a go of it no matter where we might "end up," I kept thinking - I just don't know how much I could ever "love" most of the cities where hubby was having interviews. I loved where we lived; wasn't in a hurry to ever leave! But when Charlotte came open, we thanked our lucky stars . . . b/c compared to all the cities where we could have moved - Charlotte was by far the "best." It was simply an added bonus that my family is here. Even if they hadn't been here - it still would have been the best choice. I hope you find this is true for you, too.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Lumbollo;
I would like some new insight because some of the posts seem to be old.
Then gotcha. I have not been posting here that long. I assume you must not have looked at them.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:58 PM

lumbollo,
You know what they say "assume" means. I look thru a lot especially the first page to see when items have been posted.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
This is a rule of life.
You must know someone to get a job.
You must work your way up.
School is a scam.

Aint that the case everywhere, not just Charlotte?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
Charlotte is an up and coming city who still hasn't found its identity yet. As far as moving here, the economy is bad here and If you are moving without a job, your not making a smart move granted I moved here without a job but that was back in 07. Even though the economy is bad here it ain't no worse than anywhere else. I have family and friends in all parts of the country.

I do however believe that Charlotte's best days are ahead. That's not the case for places like MI and NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: