Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

One thing that makes the south and NC a great place to live for me is how people here aren't afraid to live their faith. You just don't see this kind of thing in other regions of the country:

Doing God's business - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1243711.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
In my experience, these 'pious' businesses are a front. Giving employees perks for memorizing Bible verses and coming to prayer breakfasts seems a bit suspect. They say it's 'voluntary,' but I'm not buying it. If you want to do business with me, keep God out of it. As Jesus said:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret." Matthew 6:5-6

Old 02-13-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
In my experience, these 'pious' businesses are a front. Giving employees perks for memorizing Bible verses and coming to prayer breakfasts seems a bit suspect. They say it's 'voluntary,' but I'm not buying it. If you want to do business with me, keep God out of it. As Jesus said:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret." Matthew 6:5-6
I worried before I posted the thread that someone like you would come along and have something negative to say about these businesses

But the point of my thread is that I am happy to live in an area and state where people aren't afraid to talk about their faith - you just can't do that very openly in other areas of the country.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I worried before I posted the thread that someone like you would come along and have something negative to say about these businesses

But the point of my thread is that I am happy to live in an area and state where people aren't afraid to talk about their faith - you just can't do that very openly in other areas of the country.
Well, I respect your right to your opinion. And it is indeed a good marketing ploy for these businesses. A lot of folks will see the bible and the word 'Christian' and not bother to look at the Better Business Bureau...

To me, this is one one of the dangers of living here. Not so much in the city, but in some burbs and definitely in the country. You have to be hypervigilant for hypocrites who equate the word 'Christian' for 'good.'

And why does the C-12 "Christian Chamber" need to be for-profit? Moneychangers and all that.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I would not seek these companies out, but would not refuse to hire them if they were the best company. They would probably make me uncomfortable.

I was brought up that religion should be private. I respect other people's right to advertise their religion if they want to, However, I worked someplace a few years ago where some employees wore the T-shirts & taped up religious information. No one did anything until they decided to start lecturing everyone else & actively attempting to convert people, including some Hindus who were the main thrust of their "campaign". It became exceedingly uncomfortable for most of us, & finally some people went to management & complained. The result was that the t-shirts were banned & the religious information had to come down, & any religious conversation had to be kept between willing participants, at break time.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:16 PM

And certainly, 'Christians' aren't afraid to 'live their faith,' but can you imagine the following advertisements:

Tauschman and Applebaum, PA, we know the tax code like the Torah, oy!
Habib and sons, Muslim plumbing, waging Jihad on clogged drains!
Dr. Raj, Charlotte's Hindu cardiologist, hands as steady as Shiva!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
And certainly, 'Christians' aren't afraid to 'live their faith,' but can you imagine the following advertisements:

Tauschman and Applebaum, PA, we know the tax code like the Torah, oy!
Habib and sons, Muslim plumbing, waging Jihad on clogged drains!
Dr. Raj, Charlotte's Hindu cardiologist, hands as steady as Shiva!
HAHAHAHAHAHA - actually, I like those slogans!!! They would capture my attention for sure

Old 02-13-2010, 03:14 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
I've seen some compaines market religious logos to gain more business (or whatever the reason is)....I've seen that alot in the northeas w/certain Jewish or muslim companies......I have no problem w/that..

However, if the pope or a rabbi can't fix a leak, I ain't callin him.....

Old 02-13-2010, 03:20 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
I don't really see anything wrong with it, though I think it's nothing more than a marketing ploy. If you live and behave like a Christian should, you wouldn't have to plaster it all over your work truck.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
I think it's exploitation of faith for monetary gain. That's not a very Christian thing in my eyes. If you're comfortable in your faith, it shouldn't be plastered everywhere. It's like those "happy couples" that send out pictures of themselves to everyone, validating their relationship. If it's so special to you, what do you have to prove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte