Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 23,593 times

Advertisements

Hi
We're getting ready to move to the Gaston County area, and would like to get some inforamation on the Catholic schools listed above. Anyone have their kids enrolled in these schools? Can you tell me more about them other than the test scores? My daughter is in 4th grade and has been in Catholic school since preschool, and we attend church every Sunday. The school she is at now is wonderful, a lot of parental involvment, great, happy kids, lots of kids on the honor rolls, teachers are very involved and everyone knows each other. I'd like to find something very similar for her in the Charlotte/Gastonia area.

Any info would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspotts35 View Post
Hi
We're getting ready to move to the Gaston County area, and would like to get some inforamation on the Catholic schools listed above. Anyone have their kids enrolled in these schools? Can you tell me more about them other than the test scores? My daughter is in 4th grade and has been in Catholic school since preschool, and we attend church every Sunday. The school she is at now is wonderful, a lot of parental involvment, great, happy kids, lots of kids on the honor rolls, teachers are very involved and everyone knows each other. I'd like to find something very similar for her in the Charlotte/Gastonia area.

Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Catholic Schools in Charlotte are on par with the other private schools, and they all enjoy a good reputation, especially the area's only high school, Charlotte Catholic High in south Charlotte. It's college prep and every year the graduating class amasses millions of dollars in college scholarships. 97% of graduating seniors go on to college.

St. Mark's (Huntersville) and St. Michael's (Gastonia) are K-8 schools. St. Matthews (the Ballantyne area of south Charlotte) only goes to 5 grade. Students there move on to Holy Trinity Middle School for 6,7 and 8th grades. Personally, I am not a fan of the very large student body at HT - all the other elementary schools feed into it and kids can get lost in the cracks.

Since your daughter is already going into 4th grade I'd suggest you send her to St. Michael's or St. Mark's where she can stay put in one location for 5 years. Hopefully you can come down soon for a visit to check them out and get a feel for which one would be right for your daughter. I do believe St. Michael's is pretty stable in its enrollment, but that St. Mark's is growing so fast there may be issues with even getting her in. Contact the schools office for more info on that

http://www.charlottediocese.org/ourschools.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte