Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,385 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that there is a tendency on this board to quickly criticize a restaurant almost as soon as it opens. It happened with Lorenzo's, it happened with Big View Diner, and now I see it happening with Buffalo Wings and Rings. In this economy we should be grateful to every entrepreneur who decides to take a risk and open a new eating establishment, and appreciate the variety of dining options they provide. Most restaurants need several weeks to tighten up their operation after they open. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like there's a little schadenfreude going on here, and I just don't get it. (And no, I am not in the restaurant business, nor do I know anyone who is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
I somewhat agree.
I'm willing to give a new place 3x before writing them off.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Well, I have noticed that most of the reviews come from folks who have recently moved here. I think that is b/c folks who have moved here recently are so excited about finding a new place and they have very high expectations.

You mentioned that Lorenzo's thread . . . I believe if you look back over it, you will see that if anyone posted who is a native, it was only a handful of folks. I remember thinking at the time - WHEW - these newcomers are really really wanting to find a restaurant that matches up to the stuff they left behind.

So I don't think it has anything to do with an attitude of wanting to see failure - it is folks really hoping to find a replacement for some of the restaurants they miss that are located "back home." If it doesn't match up . . . I think people are disappointed, but I also noticed - seems like a lot of them do go back later to give the place a second chance.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
FWIW I've gone to Big View Dinner about 4 times and still think the service is too slow. Food is ok, but I can get just as good food somewhere else. I still don't recommend it after giving it 4 tries.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I've noticed that there is a tendency on this board to quickly criticize a restaurant almost as soon as it opens. It happened with Lorenzo's, it happened with Big View Diner, and now I see it happening with Buffalo Wings and Rings. In this economy we should be grateful to every entrepreneur who decides to take a risk and open a new eating establishment, and appreciate the variety of dining options they provide. Most restaurants need several weeks to tighten up their operation after they open. I could be wrong, but it almost seems like there's a little schadenfreude going on here, and I just don't get it. (And no, I am not in the restaurant business, nor do I know anyone who is.)
For a lot of people these days eating out is a rare treat - we don't all have the disposable income to give a new place 2 or 3 chances to impress us. If a place doesn't get it right the first time, odds are I'm moving on to the next place

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
I went to BVD twice. Was not overly impressed....will not go back unless I'm in the area.

Lorenzo's I've been to several times. FOR ME its worth the trip over there and the higher prices (because I really enjoy the food).

I think the OP is wrong here. Of course I want businesses to succeed, however if they don't do a good job then they shouldn't be open.....very simple.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I think the OP is wrong here. Of course I want businesses to succeed, however if they don't do a good job then they shouldn't be open.....very simple.
But the OP's point is that a new place might have a few growing pains...I think its fair to give them a second chance before writing them off altogether. Heck, I've had a few bad experiences at restaurants that I like and go to frequently. And there was one place that opened here last year that we loved when they first opened...we were there opening night and very frequently over the next year...they've gone way downhill and rarely go back anymore..and even then, its usually just for drinks.

Unless the food or service is so abyssmal on my first visit to a restaurant, especially a newer one - I'll probably give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
I think it is because being authentic has disappeared from restaurants these days. Most of them are offering up some kind of faux experience over providing decent food at decent prices with good service. New restaurants in Charlotte usually end up as:
  • Some sort of Mediterranean kitchen concept. Throw in a few Itallian buzz words and some overpriced wine.
  • Hamburger joints charging $5+ for a mediocre hamburger in a place where they nailed some 1950s retro junk to the walls of a suburban building.
  • The Asian fusion mind melding experiment of the day. Don't forget the gaijen sushi.
  • A franchise concept where they owner got suckered by the franchisee.
I'll pass. This is mostly what is new in Charlotte now.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I think it is because being authentic has disappeared from restaurants these days. Most of them are offering up some kind of faux experience over providing decent food at decent prices with good service. New restaurants in Charlotte usually end up as:
  • Some sort of Mediterranean kitchen concept. Throw in a few Itallian buzz words and some overpriced wine.
  • Hamburger joints charging $5+ for a mediocre hamburger in a place where they nailed some 1950s retro junk to the walls of a suburban building.
  • The Asian fusion mind melding experiment of the day. Don't forget the gaijen sushi.
  • A franchise concept where they owner got suckered by the franchisee.
I'll pass. This is mostly what is new in Charlotte now.
These types of places are popping up all over the country now, not just in Charlotte. I find restaurants that try to go 50s that don't do it right are just plain tacky. What ticks me off is people seem to go nuts over these establishments. I guess its because authentic diners are so rare anymore. I am so glad Charlotte doesn't have a Cheeburger Cheeburger yet.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 AM

95 posts, read 243,908 times
Amen to Plainwhite. Most people on these boards are not business owners and even with a good idea at a great time they would poo-poo any new businesses. I own multiple companies and was able to get out of corporate America, and was criticized all the way. now I sit back and laugh. Here are crazy ideas that worked, "Pet Rock","Selling Coffee $3-5/cup",DIY centers, Sushi , all of these were crazy at some point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: