Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Siemens Energy confirmed Thursday that it plans to add 825 workers in Charlotte to make gas turbines.
The German company's $135 million expansion is the Queen City's largest manufacturing expansion in 30 years.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/12/1306664/siemans-full-steam-ahead.html (broken link)
;
;

;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,606 times
That's good news! Is there an icon that shows someone cheering?

Last edited by bajanqueen; 03-12-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
That;s good news! Is there an icon that shows someone cheering?
no but I did copy your post if you dont mind and posted it here
Leaving Smiley's in rep comments

the higher ups do look there

I did find this one on photobucket

Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 AM

530 posts, read 1,182,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comment at bottom of that article View Post
a_b704 wrote on 03/12/2010 08:17:18 AM:
An $80 million tax burden, to create 800 jobs? And this corporate welfare to an international company that has profits of $4 billion?

This was not necessary at all, they were going to do it anyway, since their plant, and Duke Energy, is already here.
I have to agree here. Why give them so much money? They're only producing 800 jobs?

And I completely agree!

Why pay someone 80million to produce 800 jobs?

I like the news for people out of work, but it seems kinda backwards to me. Because the government is just going to take that 80mill out of our pay anyways, so, we're actually losing money, not gaining... For a foreign company.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-12-2010 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: user define his source clearer

Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 AM

108 posts, read 119,611 times
Eighty million dollars is probably a nominal fee to provide 825 jobs, the taxes we will collect, and the jobs created by the companies expanding or opening to provide services to Siemens over the next couple decades. I hope the city will keep up the initiate to draw business. As far as a "foreign company", we better be thankful that they like the Carolinas as they are highly instrumental in easing the burden of recession in these parts. I welcome all foreign companys and the jobs they provide.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMcAlister View Post
Eighty million dollars is probably a nominal fee to provide 825 jobs, the taxes we will collect, and the jobs created by the companies expanding or opening to provide services to Siemens over the next couple decades. I hope the city will keep up the initiate to draw business. As far as a "foreign company", we better be thankful that they like the Carolinas as they are highly instrumental in easing the burden of recession in these parts. I welcome all foreign companys and the jobs they provide.
I concur and we will probably dont have to worry about
out sourcing like we do with some of the other companies headquarterd here.
look how big a gas turbine is http://www.global-greenhouse-warming...rbine400MW.jpg
its huge and probably weighs so many tons. It would be to expensive to ship
I found this article we took these jobs from Canada
Hamilton losing Siemens turbine jobs - thestar.com

Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Siemens Energy confirmed Thursday that it plans to add 825 workers in Charlotte to make gas turbines.
The German company's $135 million expansion is the Queen City's largest manufacturing expansion in 30 years.

Siemens Energy is adding 825 jobs to Charlotte - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/12/1306664/siemans-full-steam-ahead.html - broken link)
;
;

;
This is great news, Sunny. Siemens is a good company to work for. I know several people who worked for Siemens for many years in South Jersey. They loved their jobs.

This is very good for Charlotte.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is great news, Sunny. Siemens is a good company to work for. I know several people who worked for Siemens for many years in South Jersey. They loved their jobs.

This is very good for Charlotte.
I used to work for Siemens but in their healthcare area (for a company that was acquired by them later). They are a great company and already have a strong presence in the US.

This can only help Charlotte now and in the future.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I concur and we will probably dont have to worry about
out sourcing like we do with some of the other companies headquarterd here.
look how big a gas turbine is http://www.global-greenhouse-warming...rbine400MW.jpg
its huge and probably weighs so many tons. It would be to expensive to ship
I found this article we took these jobs from Canada
Hamilton losing Siemens turbine jobs - thestar.com

1000 jobs in over 5 years good. They also been in the previous area for 100 years. Let's hope the same for here.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
I have to agree here. Why give them so much money? They're only producing 800 jobs?

And I completely agree!

Why pay someone 80million to produce 800 jobs?

I like the news for people out of work, but it seems kinda backwards to me. Because the government is just going to take that 80mill out of our pay anyways, so, we're actually losing money, not gaining... For a foreign company.
The information stated is not accurate. Theare receiving a combination or grants and low interest financing. Yes they are getting financial incentives, but the government is not paying them. They are getting a low interest loans, some development grants and other things. There is a economics to it all and plenty of info on the web how most of these things work.

And also, there is no such thing as a foreign company anymore.. The high end execs may be located over seas, but most large companies are global and support the local economy. Whether it be Bank of America doing business in Brazil, Toyota selling cars here, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte