Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:35 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times

Advertisements

I actually prefer the new arena, with few exceptions. I know Cricket had that old time hockey feel, but I really feel the new arena is better for the Checkers organization and especially the players. The team averaged under 4k in their final year at Cricket, not bad for a AA team, but it wasn't paying the bills and they made it to the conference finals that season. Their first year at Bobcats they averaged 5300 and this past year it was very close to 6000. Their were some transitional experiences the first year that were kind of frustrating, but this past year all those kinks were worked out (plus the new owner is a really great all around guy).

I like the fact that I can usually sit in the lower level of a nice building for $10-12 and watch entertaining hockey. I like the fact that is easier and cheaper to park uptown than at Cricket. I like the fact that uptown is now actually a much nicer neighborhood than east Charlotte. I like being able to go to Ri-Ra's, Rock Bottom, Brixx or Lavecchia's before and/or after the game (Brixx is a team sponsor and has beer and food specials before and after the games. lavecchia's has a $1.99 bar menu with free parking. The portions are smal, but still, 5 of them will fill you up and that's still cheap). I like the fact that the attendance has several times exceeded Cricket's capacity and that the team was 3rd in the league in that category. I talk to many of the players and they love playing in that arena. I like the extra legroom (I am 6'4"). I like the fact that tje Checkers have also been way more involved with charities this year as well raising crazy amounts of money through tickets sales sharing and events like Pink in the Rink. They also have a lot more sponsors with being uptown and where the office is uptown now.

What I don't like: The offset ice, but it makes it unique. The concession prices are high (and I work for the company that owns Levy restaurants). And the lack of that olde tyme hockey feel, but man I have heard some really loud crowds during the games at CBA.

So all in all, I do like it and it actually helped keep the team in Charlotte and thats a good thing. I don't think the Checkers would have lasted another year or two at Cricket and I dont think anyone would have purchased the team had they still played there and didn't have the new arena option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 AM

174 posts, read 196,233 times
Good to hear that the Checkers are doing well in the new arena. I don't live in Charlotte anymore so I can't attend many games anyway...ergo my opinion on the facility doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte