Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times

Advertisements

I'm a first timer to a race. I have no clue what to expect. What to bring, prepare?

Anyone got advice? Do's and don'ts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Sunscreen. Earplugs, especially if you're below the suites, because it's much louder there. A scanner can be a lot of fun, because you hear what the drivers and crew chiefs are saying to each other. Sunscreen. Water to stay hydrated. It's a long race. Sunscreen. Maybe one of those disposable ponchos if it looks like rain. A seat cushion. Check on the website to see what you're allowed to bring in. Sunglasses. Sunscreen.

I've been to over 140 Nascar races and numerous other Indy/Cart races, and see more people burnt to a crisp and miserable. Even though it's an evening race, you'll still be in the direct sun 3-4 hours.

That being said, you probably don't want to be a pack mule, having to manage 50 pounds of gear all day.

Traffic-It will take you a long time to get in and out of the track. Some people like to party in the parking lot afterwards instead of sitting in traffic for hours. Supply accordingly.

P.S. Nothing good comes from power drinking at the longest Nascar race except to provide amusement for those around you! Don't be "that guy"!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
good post I would echo a lot of that, also bring comfortable shoes

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Check list for stuff not to bring.
NO Umbrellas
My sweetheart had to learn the hard way as we approached the gate.
I concur with the above posts

Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Sunscreen. Earplugs, especially if you're below the suites, because it's much louder there. A scanner can be a lot of fun, because you hear what the drivers and crew chiefs are saying to each other. Sunscreen. Water to stay hydrated. It's a long race. Sunscreen. Maybe one of those disposable ponchos if it looks like rain. A seat cushion. Check on the website to see what you're allowed to bring in. Sunglasses. Sunscreen.

I've been to over 140 Nascar races and numerous other Indy/Cart races, and see more people burnt to a crisp and miserable. Even though it's an evening race, you'll still be in the direct sun 3-4 hours.

That being said, you probably don't want to be a pack mule, having to manage 50 pounds of gear all day.

Traffic-It will take you a long time to get in and out of the track. Some people like to party in the parking lot afterwards instead of sitting in traffic for hours. Supply accordingly.

P.S. Nothing good comes from power drinking at the longest Nascar race except to provide amusement for those around you! Don't be "that guy"!
You make a strong case for staying home and watching it on TV.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:00 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,597 times
Where would folks say is most likely to be the coolest (ie temp' wise)
Looking at tickets now and affordable choices seem to be
the 4th turn
Ford Grandstand
Grand National Tower

The last is the most expensive.

Any opinions appreciated, not just regarding temperature!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
You make a strong case for staying home and watching it on TV.

Being at a Nascar event is a visceral experience. For a real fan it's a rush when 30,000 HP comes blasting towards you in turns 1 and 3. The smell of hot rubber and racing fuel. Feeling the marbles and other debris hitting you. The roar of 20+ cars rocketing out of their pit stalls at the same time. 180,000+ people screaming and cheering. Nearly 400,000 at Indy. I was in Daytona when Earnhardt finally won the 500 in '98, and was in the exit of turn 4 when he crashed in 2001. I was in the infield in Atlanta when a B1 bomber did 3 flyovers in respect of Earnhardt, then turned up on it's tail and hit the burners. I saw a B52 seemingly climb up out of Lowes Motor Speedway. I was eating lunch in the hospitality village in New Hampshire when the 4 F16s that did the flyover came blasting by right over my head. They knocked several people, including me, out of our chairs.

You can't fully appreciate those planes until you're that close to them, in action. You can't really appreciate any of this without being there.

That being said, I've stood in the rain in Atlanta for 6 hours. I drank 16 bottles of water in Phoenix, and never peed. Yeah, it's a dry heat. I've been in several complete rainouts in Dallas and other tracks. I got sick in Vegas when the temp dropped 30 degrees in about an hour. I've eaten bugs in Darlington, because they were swarming throughout the hospitality village.

So yes, staying home and watching the races on TV has a lot of advantages. But if you're a fan, ya gotta go at least once.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
The most I know about racing is Days of Thunder and Talladaga Nights, so it isn't much.

I'm going with my sister- a HUGE fan. I've drug her to all the places I like to go now it's payback time for me.

Sunscreen, hat, sneakers, lots of $ for water, ear plugs, poncho (have one unopened from our trip to Disney) and seat cushion...

Are these bleachers or seats with backs? I'm a disabled vet and have to be able to lean on a seat back to relieve the pressure.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM

468 posts, read 827,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I was eating lunch in the hospitality village in New Hampshire when the 4 F16s that did the flyover came blasting by right over my head. They knocked several people, including me, out of our chairs.

I've eaten bugs in Darlington, because they were swarming throughout the hospitality village.

vmaxnc I know agree with what you said in your entire post. You have to be there to experience the whole deal and understand what it is that makes a fan want to keep coming back.

I was just wondering, do you work hospitality? And if so, do you do all the races or just a few?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
The most I know about racing is Days of Thunder and Talladaga Nights, so it isn't much.

I'm going with my sister- a HUGE fan. I've drug her to all the places I like to go now it's payback time for me.

Sunscreen, hat, sneakers, lots of $ for water, ear plugs, poncho (have one unopened from our trip to Disney) and seat cushion...

Are these bleachers or seats with backs? I'm a disabled vet and have to be able to lean on a seat back to relieve the pressure.
The seats have backs. The front stretch seats are new, and supposed to be quite comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte