Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM

10 posts, read 74,429 times

Advertisements

Have an interview in Charlottesville ...would like some opinions on the area. Would be moving from Wyoming, but have lived mostly in Michigan (Grand Rapids and Marquette).

Average housing prices, crime, city's relationship with the University of Virginia, nice areas, bad areas-info wanted.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
Expensive to live IN Charlottesville and surrounding Albemarle County.

Crime isn't too bad at all.

The City and UVA are very symbiotic as the history of both are really one and the same. Charlottesville IS Thomas Jefferson, UVA IS Thomas Jefferson, Charlottesville thus is very much UVA. That's not ALL it is, but I've never been in another town where the University really embodies the town and visa versa. I'd imagine it'd be like Harvard and Cambridge, Mass in a way.....

As far as nice areas?? It's been awhile since I lived there so I'd definately say you can't go wrong with Albemarle County if you can afford it..

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Here are some links for you:

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Charlottesville Neighborhood Profile on Yahoo! Real Estate - Demographics, Cost of Living & more!

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:48 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,949 times
Default Charlottesville

The Good: Close to Washington DC, beautiful country setting, good stores, restaurants, nightspots. UVA and its medical center, Monticello & Thomas Jefferson history. Charming wineries, ski resort, outdoor activities, Richmond is about an hour or so away.

The Bad: The locals can be very snobby toward outsiders. I think C'ville is known as a rather snobby place, in an old style conservative Virginia style.

The Ugly: There is nothing that bad about C'ville. If you can fit in there you will love it and never leave.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
The Good: Close to Washington DC, beautiful country setting, good stores, restaurants, nightspots. UVA and its medical center, Monticello & Thomas Jefferson history. Charming wineries, ski resort, outdoor activities, Richmond is about an hour or so away.

The Bad: The locals can be very snobby toward outsiders. I think C'ville is known as a rather snobby place, in an old style conservative Virginia style.

The Ugly: There is nothing that bad about C'ville. If you can fit in there you will love it and never leave.
I wouldn't go as far as saying there is nothing bad about Charlottesville. Having lived in Charlottesville all my life...until 2004 anyway, I would say that if you're looking to start a family it's a great place to live. But, if you're a young person it will get very old very fast...there just isn't a lot to do. The housing is ridiculous and out of reach to most people with no signs of prices coming down. The job market is pretty poor and basically you either work for UVa or work in retail. Most of the large private companies are gone or greatly reduced in staff and positions. Michie, GE Fanuc, Morton and Comdial just to name a few.

The scenery in the fall is beautiful and there are great nature and bike trails. The sports scene is great with UVa football, lacrosse and basketball plus with the addition of the JPJ, the concert scene has completely taken off!

I guess it boils down to what you're looking for. I would never move back as I've gotten used to Orlando and all the things we have that Charlottesville doesn't...but that's me.

Good luck in the job search! http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif (broken link)

Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 PM

150 posts, read 693,975 times
Default looking for info. too ...

Piggybacking on your post ... My husband and I will visit in Oct. to scope out C'ville as a possible move for our young family. We are self-employed and can live anywhere. Roanoker 4 said, "if you can fit in there you will love it" -- sounds great. But, can you or someone give some attributes of someone who would NOT fit in? VaNative, as a former Floridian, what does Orlando have that Cville lacks? Not trying to stir up trouble ... just sincerely trying to find the right place for my family.... thanks!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,721 times
Hey Isle_Gal, don't rule out Roanoke. Charlottesville and Roanoke are close enough together to combine into one driving tour. I'm also self employed and my wife and I have two young girls; we also could have picked anywhere. We moved from Vermont, first to Blacksburg, where we bought a house and sold it 9 months later, after buying a horse farm in Boones Mill, just south of Roanoke. We're very happy with our decision, it's a beautiful area.

C'ville is a beautiful place, as is Roanoke. Roanoke is a wee warmer due to topography - nothing significant - but it is often 1-2 degrees warmer in the Roanoke Valley and Franklin County than it is in Charlottesville. That can be advantage C'ville if you prefer cooler weather, or vice versa.

Charlottesville is home to UVA so it's got a nice cosmo feel but it's true, the population is on the small side, and because the area overwhelmingly caters to the uber affluent, land and home values can be on the extreme side relative to the rest of central and western Virginia. If my horse farm and property were in the Charlottesville area it would have a market value set 50% higher, and I live in the fastest growing county in the Roanoke metro area (Franklin), so that should say something. All else being equal, I'd lean towards Roanoke because I think as a young family you'll enjoy more retail, recreational and cultural convenience. But both Roanoke and Charlottesville are mighty nice places to live!

Sean

Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
VaNative, as a former Floridian, what does Orlando have that Cville lacks? Not trying to stir up trouble ... just sincerely trying to find the right place for my family.... thanks!
Well...for me...after living in Charlottesville for 37 years, it got too small for me. I know more stores and restaurants have moved into the area since I've been gone but my parents...who still live there...tell me all the time the selection of goods still is not as good as another larger area...Orlando or anywhere else. My mother is constantly going to Richmond to shop because she can't find the selection at the local stores.

As I stated in the other post, if you have or want to raise a family, Charlottesville is much better than Orlando because of the better schools and relative lack of crime. That said, the Charlottesville is area is A LOT more expensive and the vast majority of jobs do not pay anywhere near enough to afford a nice home. The property taxes are a little less than Orlando but Virginia does not have the Homestead Exemption.

You can make your own decision. Charlottesville has it's good points and bad like anywhere else. But...for me, Charlottesville is not a place I want to live any longer.

I just voiced my opinion as a 37 year resident of Charlottesville and as a single male, the area is just too expensive and too lacking in amenities that I'm looking for to keep me there despite my family still residing in the area.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 16,628 times
Default Safe areas in C-Ville

Would anyone recomend areas in town I should stay away from...
I have been told that the south and east sides of town are not so safe. Would anyone familuar with C-Ville recomend the safest area(s) as well as the parts of town a single female should not live.
Is the Fairway Ave. section of Martha Jefferson safe?
Thanx for the help

Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
Well...for me...after living in Charlottesville for 37 years, it got too small for me. I know more stores and restaurants have moved into the area since I've been gone but my parents...who still live there...tell me all the time the selection of goods still is not as good as another larger area...Orlando or anywhere else. My mother is constantly going to Richmond to shop because she can't find the selection at the local stores.

As I stated in the other post, if you have or want to raise a family, Charlottesville is much better than Orlando because of the better schools and relative lack of crime. That said, the Charlottesville is area is A LOT more expensive and the vast majority of jobs do not pay anywhere near enough to afford a nice home. The property taxes are a little less than Orlando but Virginia does not have the Homestead Exemption.

You can make your own decision. Charlottesville has it's good points and bad like anywhere else. But...for me, Charlottesville is not a place I want to live any longer.

I just voiced my opinion as a 37 year resident of Charlottesville and as a single male, the area is just too expensive and too lacking in amenities that I'm looking for to keep me there despite my family still residing in the area.
Well, having lived in Charlottesville growing up and having lived in Orlando for 12 years, let me just say I'm happy to be back in Virginia, even if it isn't Charlottesville...

"So much to do" is a matter of perspective IMO. I mean Disney is cool, but WAY too expensive. Orlando is close to the beach, but Charlottesville is close to the mountains (and you can actually get to the beach in 3 or so hours, whereas Orlando you have to drive closer to 9 hours before you'll sniff a mountain.).

But yeah, 37 and single??? I can see why Orlando would be a LOT more exciting and there'd be more "opportunity" there... Being married with a kid I have little interest in most of what Orlando has to offer anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville